Summit May 7

magmagee

Has anyone received the 30% off certificate for another cruise. Just curious. We would like to take another cruise and it probably be on Celebrity. I am just wondering if the discount is going to happen or do we have to wait until any lawsuit is settled.

Has anyone received the 30% off certificate for another cruise. Just curious. We would like to take another cruise and it probably be on Celebrity. I am just wondering if the discount is going to happen or do we have to wait until any lawsuit is settled.

There are some posts right here on page 1 that people have started to get them.

Marilyn

• 4 weeks later...

Just reporting that I have received my refund certificate for the missed ports. It was a fair settlement and I think it was done in a very fair manner based on how much your paid for your cruise.

We would have sailed Celebrity with or without the refund. I think for those who have never cruised before or those who have been on a cruise that have not experience problems you should always keep in mind that things can happen. We did take it lightly (missed ports) even though we had plans to meet relatives in Seattle. When on a cruise you should be prepared to go to plan B. I am much wiser in the cruising department because of this experience. We were prepared for maybe bad weather to hamper a cruise but really not thinking about the ship having mechanical problems.

I am happy for magmagee who is satisfied with the refund certificate for missing Seattle, Sitka, Hubbard glacier and missing the Inside Passage. I am also happy for the OP if their opionion is that it was done in a fair manner.

I feel that everyone should have the right to decide what is fair.

I would point out that the majority of the passengers were not satisfied with the compensation of $200, per cabin, for missing over one-half of a 13 night cruise. The fact that instead of a permanent fix, Celebrity corporate has made a decision to continue to sail M-Class ships with known recurring propulsion problems. This decision was the real cause for the heart break caused for so many on this cruise. Lying by Celebrity to cover mistakes was also another reason for the unhappiness of the majority of passengers. Many passengers were on a once in a lifetime cruise or came from overseas and will never be able to use any certificate from Celebrity.

There is a huge differences between passengers who sail many times a year or live close to the departure point than those who are on a once in a lifetime dream vacation and/or travel great distances at great expense to see and enjoy the Itinerary they purchased.

I know that I will be flamed by the usual crowd but all viewpoints should to be allowed heard on these boards.

for missing over one-half of a 13 night cruise.

That is the one truism that those dissatisfied with the 5/7/06 sailing keep spouting with which I completely disagree. By no measure whatsoever can we be said to have missed over one half of the cruise. I don't know how to accurately gauge what portion of the trip was missed. However, even if you accept the following standards (which I find ridiculous), still at the VERY MOST, 4/9 or 44% of the trip was missed - 4/9 is NOT over half!:

1. The ONLY criterion you use is ports visited. Other elements (food, lodging, entertainment, fine service, sea days, ship facilities, etc.) hold ZERO value.

2. You include Hubbard Glacier and Inside Passage as equal to the other destinations even though they are not technically ports of call. Moreover, you consider that the partial value we got from seeing the glacier from a distance and seeing a portion of the Inside Passage in the evening to be completely inconsequential and worthless.

3. You don't count Los Angeles or Vancouver as ports of call.

Assuming all of the above, the math works out as below:

4 "ports" missed - Seattle, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, & Inside Passage

5 "ports" visited - San Francisco, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, & Victoria

Therefore, at most, 4/9 of the cruise was missed...

Now, I personally DO place value on elements other than ports visited. The cabin, food, amenities, activities, service, etc. provides a great degree of the value of the cruise, and we DID get to enjoy all of these elements for 13 days, as we paid for. Moreover, while I do regret not having the full experience of Hubbard Glacier and Inside Passage, missing part of that experience doesn't hold the same value to me as Seattle or (especially) Sitka.

To me, I feel like we missed approximately 20% of the value of the cruise. Therefore, the fact that we are getting a credit for 30% off a future cruise is a nice solution, provided I am able to utilize it (it is hard for me to take time off work, so planning another cruise within 18 months of this last one isn't so easy to do). I wish that the certificate had been without restriction (good for any time on any Celebrity Cruise -- I don't understand the "North American" restriction), but otherwise, I'm fairly content. The biggest mistake X made was in coming to the passengers with an insulting solution (nothing but $200 per cabin) early in the cruise rather than holding off and figuring out what the best thing they could do would be...

Therefore, at most, 4/9 of the cruise was missed...

Now, I personally DO place value on elements other than ports visited. The cabin, food, amenities, activities, service, etc. provides a great degree of the value of the cruise, and we DID get to enjoy all of these elements for 13 days, as we paid for

Well apparently the Cruise Lines don't place as much value on these items as you might. Take a look at the fares for Transatlantic cruises with no ports of call. they pratically give those away - which contrary to Celebrity cheerleaders opinions says that most of us put the value of the cruise in the ports of call and scenery!!

Well apparently the Cruise Lines don't place as much value on these items as you might. Take a look at the fares for Transatlantic cruises with no ports of call. they pratically give those away - which contrary to Celebrity cheerleaders opinions says that most of us put the value of the cruise in the ports of call and scenery!!

I've priced a few TA cruises. They are definitely cheaper, but they are not, in fact, "giving them away". There is a charge. Therefore, the cruise line must assume that elements other than ports of call have SOME value. How much? I don't know. It's hard to quantify exactly. However, if you agree that there is some value to elements other than ports, then you're agreeing that the amount missed was less than 44%. What was it, then? 40%? 35%? 30%? I don't know. However, if it is ANY of those numbers, the 30% off credit plus the $200 per cabin good-will gesture offers SOME kind of equitable relief. It's not like they are THAT far off base...

If, on the other hand, you DON'T feel that the elements other than ports of call have any value, I'm going to file that away in my memory. Then, I defy you (or anybody who feels similarly) to EVER complain about the food or the service or the upkeep on any ship. Why should you get to complain about those things? What you're paying for is just the destinations, right?

:D

Good point! I think the problem with first time cruisers to Alaska is that they no way to know what they have missed. Had I not been right infront of Glacier Bay, last year, I may be inclined to feel as DrewB does. Missing Hubbard glacier, (6-7 miles away is missing it) if you could put a value on it would be at least 25% of the total experience. That plus the rest of the dissapointments would easily be over 50% lost. I think that when first time cruisers to Alaska actually do get to see a glacier, up close, they will know what some of us have been saying. That was my opinion and there is no way to quantify such things. The overriding issue is that Celebrity should never have allowed these pod problems to continue, in the first place.

You are correct, and I may not realize the true value of the Hubbard Glacier experience...

However, I may be coming from an odd perspective... For me, simply NOT having to go to work for 2 weeks was worth about ten times what I paid for the cruise... If we had simply gone ten miles out and circled around for 13 days, I would have been pretty happy. The great things we did get to see and do just made me happier and happier...

For me, simply NOT having to go to work for 2 weeks was worth about ten times what I paid for the cruise... If we had simply gone ten miles out and circled around for 13 days, I would have been pretty happy.

No offense intended here, but perhaps its time to look for a new job. I would much rather go to work then spin around in circles for 13 days on a cruise ship. I think I would be bored to death - to each their own, and I'm sure some people would take great pleasure in cruising that way - just not me and my family.

So if somebody says a cruise like that is worthless to them - believe them - don't call them whiners - don't call them glass half empty - don't dismiss them as just another negative poster, simply let them have their own opinion on the value the cruise had to them (not directed to you specifically Drew B, but rather the posters in general who can't seem to understand that not all of us are out there for the "cruise experience").

I have just recently received my future cruise credit certificate, it isn't a percentage off a future cruise, but an actual amount per person that was in the cabin.

I am extremely pleased with the amount given to us, yes we were disappointed that we missed ports, but hey you still had the full time on the ship, with all the facilities, happy hour, $200 and now money off next cruise.

The letter which was sent with the crtificate states that it can be used against any Celebrity OR Royal Caribbean cruise, also there is no mention that it has to be a North American cruise either.

However, will check first before we book anything. Will let you know what happens.

No offense intended here, but perhaps its time to look for a new job.

Ya think? LOL!!! It's kind of sad. Sometimes I absolutely hate my job, but I've become accustomed to the income, and I really don't think I could come close to matching that money in any job I like any better... I'm still hoping to win the Lotto or hit a jackpot on a slot machine (as somebody on this board did recently).

I have just recently received my future cruise credit certificate, it isn't a percentage off a future cruise, but an actual amount per person that was in the cabin.

I am extremely pleased with the amount given to us, yes we were disappointed that we missed ports, but hey you still had the full time on the ship, with all the facilities, happy hour, $200 and now money off next cruise.

The letter which was sent with the crtificate states that it can be used against any Celebrity OR Royal Caribbean cruise, also there is no mention that it has to be a North American cruise either.

However, will check first before we book anything. Will let you know what happens.

I did not see the North America restriction on mine either. I will look into that also.

You are correct, and I may not realize the true value of the Hubbard Glacier experience...

However, I may be coming from an odd perspective... For me, simply NOT having to go to work for 2 weeks was worth about ten times what I paid for the cruise... If we had simply gone ten miles out and circled around for 13 days, I would have been pretty happy. The great things we did get to see and do just made me happier and happier...

I have to agree with you. I don't think you meant that your job was so bad but it is just great getting away to change the scenery to relax and just enjoy yourself. I am glad they did not cancel the cruise because that would have left us with 2 weeks off and disappointed and lost airfare costs. I am a glass half full kind of person because sometimes stuff happens that we have no control over so I just have to roll with it. I think if the cruise would have been cancelled, especially for the ones who had traveled a very long distance for their trip of a life time, I think they might have been more disappointed missing the whole cruise because they had to pay a lot more in unrecoverable airfare and then maybe not being able to book another cruise plus they would have had to find lodging until they were able to get another flight home. Soooooo, this is where this glass half full comes in for me.

I have to agree with you. I don't think you meant that your job was so bad but it is just great getting away to change the scenery to relax and just enjoy yourself. I am glad they did not cancel the cruise because that would have left us with 2 weeks off and disappointed and lost airfare costs. I am a glass half full kind of person because sometimes stuff happens that we have no control over so I just have to roll with it. I think if the cruise would have been cancelled, especially for the ones who had traveled a very long distance for their trip of a life time, I think they might have been more disappointed missing the whole cruise because they had to pay a lot more in unrecoverable airfare and then maybe not being able to book another cruise plus they would have had to find lodging until they were able to get another flight home. Soooooo, this is where this glass half full comes in for me.

I agree. My biggest worry was that they were going to end the cruise early...

Thank-you for taking my comment the way it was intended!!!!

And for you I'm glad the pay is worth it.

I don't, really, but I feel like I've painted myself into a corner... At a certain age, you don't necessarily want to start over (or sell your house, or make myriad other sacrifices).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil and family,

Glad to hear that you got your certificates. We haven't got ours yet and when I contacted Celebrity by e-mail I didn't even get a reply!

Did you get yours from the agent or direct from Celebrity by post or e-mail? I recently contacted another couple who were on our table and they haven't got theirs either.

We would like to keep in touch so I'll give you our e-mail address. Look forward to hearing from you.

centrum@winshop.com.au

Les & Joyce

Thank you Irene & Jerry! We enjoyed meeting you too! We love Naples in Florida and spent Christmas there a couple of years ago.

I got a message from my travel agent today after contacting her a second time about the discount vouchers. She told me that they had been given to someone else in her office by mistake and she has just put them in the post to us!

I don't know whether we'll use them or not as we already have cruises booked for the next 2 years.

Joyce

With all the upsets this Alaskan season, I have trust issues going on and have some caution booking another crusie with Celebrity.Being from Florida, there is less to lose when you don't have to purchase air tickets. Due to health issues, January might be a good month to go.

Archived