Seattle - what to do for 1 day post cruise

Anyone have any suggestions, we are a group of 8. With Luggage! We dock at 7:00 am in Seattle, and our flight leaves @ 11:00 pm.

We need someplace to keep our luggage. We were think of renting one hotel room and splitting the cost, just to leave our luggage. Does anyone have any better sightseeing ideas. We wanted to at least see the Space Needle.

We would need transportation from ship to hotel, and hotel to airport. Not sure how far away downtown is from the airport. Any suggestions will help.

What have other's done? Royal Caribbean offers a Space Needle post tour, will they keep our luggage? I'm afraid we will be done too early with their tour and we'll end up sitting at the airport for hours. . . . . HELP!

There is a place at the airport to leave your luggage, for a very high fees.

Suggest rent 2 cars from Thrifty, which has kiosks at both pier 66 and 30. Then go where you want to go for the day, leaving your luggage in the car/vans.

The piers are close to the Space Needle/Pikes Market, etc. You can even preorder your tickets for the observation deck of the Space Needle online, ahead of time.

Hi,

We are on the VOS out of Seattle on August 11-18th. OUr flight does not leave until 1030pm also, you can leave them at the port only until 3. I rented a car for the day through Thrifty for $55. We pick the car up at the port and drop it off at the airport that nite. Now we won't have to rely on taxis and our luggage will be taken care of too.

When are you on your cruise?

Take care

sandi

Room check-ins are usually in the afternoon, so you will still have to deal with your luggage. Car rental is probably the easiest and you will have transportation to the airport.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. It sounds like car rentals are the way to go. We will be on the VOS the week of August 18-25th! Can't wait, I'm getting so excited. I'm hoping we have nice weather, you never know!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think anyone has mentioned the "Ride the Duck" tour on this thread. It is so much fun, and you'll see a large part of the downtown and Lake Union areas. It is located right next to the Space Needle/Seattle Center. And definitely don't miss the Underground Tour, too. I've done it about 6 times in the last 10 years when friends are in town, and I've never tired of it! If you end up getting a car, parking is a bit expensive, but there are small lots around everywhere. But if you can store your luggage, the Metro bus system is acually very convenient for touring around downtown and you can get a day pass. Go online to metrokc.gov and click on bus transportation. There are several buses that run from near the Seattle Center where the Space Needle is, down to Pioneer Square for the Underground Tour.

We just got back, and we had a full day before we left. We went to the area around the space needle, their is space needle, pacific science center, imax, carnival type rides, food court, si-fi and music museum. The duck ride is right across the street. Book you time for the duck ride for later in the day then go do the other stuff. The duck ride does give you a good overview of the town and goes into lake union where you can get some good pictures and info., it was fun. The undergroud tour was not in the same area. We did this after our cruise. It was interesting, our kids thought the lady that did our tour had adhd because she never stopped talking and would get sidetracked.

For anyone that has more time, we also went to a mariners game one night and a WNBA game, baseball for husband and son, basketball for dgt. and mom. They really enjoyed them.

On Sunday (7/16) we chose a flight home from Anchorage (to Orlando) with a long layover in Seattle. We rented a car and drove to downtown. We went to the Sci-Fi Museum, the Space Needle, and we "Rode the Ducks". All were located in the Seattle Center area. I have 2 boys ages 14 and 10. The sci-fi museum was their favorite (but not mine)! We all enjoyed the Duck ride which even took us out on Lake Union to see the fancy "houseboats" (think: Sleepless in Seattle).

P.S. It was a beautiful, clear day so we went to the Space Needle around 8 pm and stayed to watch the sunset reflected on Mt. Ranier (around 9:15). The mountain looked like a scoop of raspberry ice cream!

Terri

We are on the VOS next week, and are flying out at 10:30 pm after the cruise as well. We are renting a car and driving to Mt. Rainier National Park for the morning/early afternoon and will do dinner in the downtown Seattle area before dropping our car off at the airport. We rented from Thrifty for $42 for the day with unlimited miles and there is a kiosk right at Pier 30.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the "Ride the Duck" tour on this thread. It is so much fun, and you'll see a large part of the downtown and Lake Union areas. It is located right next to the Space Needle/Seattle Center. And definitely don't miss the Underground Tour, too. I've done it about 6 times in the last 10 years when friends are in town, and I've never tired of it! If you end up getting a car, parking is a bit expensive, but there are small lots around everywhere. But if you can store your luggage, the Metro bus system is acually very convenient for touring around downtown and you can get a day pass. Go online to metrokc.gov and click on bus transportation. There are several buses that run from near the Seattle Center where the Space Needle is, down to Pioneer Square for the Underground Tour.

I was just going to suggest the Duck Tour. It was so much fun. It was a Gray Line tour of Seattle with a sense of humor. Very nice overview of the city and lots of laughs.

We were just in Seattle for 3 days post cruise.

I would not suggest the RRCL Space Needle tour since I assume that it would leave you at the airport by mid to late afternoon.

Unluckily, most attractions in Seattle close at 6 PM so I would suggest either going to Mt Ranier or one or two attractions and then having a nice dinner before going to the airport.

You could go to Seattle Center which includes the Space Needle. the Music Experience, The Pacific Science Center and the Science Fiction Museum plus a carnival like area. However, none of them were among our favorite attractions.

Some members of our party liked the Underground tour, but others thought it was nothing special. I did not go since my husband uses a wheechair and the tour is not accessable. Instead we went to the Klondike Museum which was interesting, especially the film which I wished I had seen pre-cruise.

We liked the Museum of Flight most and also enjoyed the Aquarium and Woodlands Zoo. I also would suggest that you have lunch and spend some time at Pikes Place Market.

Archived