Under 21 drinking

Just off the Mariner. I had signed the waiver for my son (20) and his GF (19) only to find out at checkin I could not sign for the GF only her parents who happened to be in Baltimore and we were in Port Canaveral. Then after we were on board and in international waters my son still had a hard time getting a beer, Just one at a time, he could not get one at the pool bar the whole cruise. They said even a certified letter does not work anymore for the ones traveling without a parent? maybe it was just the women I had checking me in? But we did not fight it, the GF really does not drink much anyway, if she did want a frozen drink I just bought it for her. maybe 4 the whole cruise. But they were with us the majority of the time and I am still able to "control" my kids. So I was not worried about either of them doing anything stupid or over drinking. Luckily by the next cruise they will both be 21 and I will not have to worry about it anymore.

Just off the Mariner. I had signed the waiver for my son (20) and his GF (19) only to find out at checkin I could not sign for the GF only her parents who happened to be in Baltimore and we were in Port Canaveral.

We're on the Voyager out of Barcelona next month, My sister and DH are with us along with their daughter & friend (both 19 years) They are not big drinkers but enjoy a glass of wine,

Q1. the drinking laws in the UK are 18 years which is the same for most of of Europe, Which applies on this cruise US or European legislation?

Q2. If US legislation applies based on jetladys quote, how do we get a waiver for her friend

. I had signed the waiver for my son (20) and his GF (19) only to find out at checkin I could not sign for the GF only her parents who happened to be in Baltimore and we were in Port Canaveral., the GF really does not drink much anyway, if she did want a frozen drink I just bought it for her. maybe 4 the whole cruise. . Luckily by the next cruise they will both be 21 and I will not have to worry about it anymore.

The waiver only applies to beer and wine anyway..not mixed drinks.

Im glad RCI is changing the policy also, I think 'kids' should not be allowed to drink...JMO.

Luckily...that way you wont be providing alcohol to a minor, like you apperarenty did on this cruise

This is the confusing thing, On Legend of the Seas, currently sailing out of Southampton UK anyone over the age of 18 years can purchase any drink. In the UK rightly or wrongly you cease to be a minor when you reach 18. I suppose if you can vote or fight in the front line for your country at 18 then maybe a drink or two puts things in a different perspective. Just a mo while I take cover.

On Europe/Med cruises departing from Barcelona...the waiver for 18-20 yr olds to drink wine/beer will still apply.

On the Legend leaving from Southampton....no waiver required...anyone 18 and above can drink any alcohol.

Now about how to get waiver for the under 21 when not your child...I am not sure on that one just yet,as when I take my son's friend this year to the USA/Cruise...he will only be 17 and therefore I only need a letter from his parents saying I am his guardian for the trip(letter has to be done through solicitor)...but dont know what happens when they turn 18.

I do know that there is a place on the online SeaPass area that you can fill in details and have that "child" linked to your booking and asks for details about guardian permission etc.If I can get more details on this I will try to post as soon as I find out.

A letter of authorisation is needed for anyone under 21 who isnt your child.....their guardian can then sign the waiver for them then to drink beer/wine.....please note this is for the Europe/Med cruises folks...I dont mean the ones departing from USA ports.

If you do not have the letter of authorisation for the minor they can be refused permission to board the ship.

Liz

WYWH Cruiser

The RCCL policy about the minimum drinking age is based on the port of embarkation. In the U.S., all ships leaving from U.S. ports will have the new policy applied regarding 18 - 20 year olds. WHEN is the big question.

My guess is ships leaving European ports will most likely follow the law of that country.

I sailed last May (i was 19 at the time) with my boyfriend and his parents. They were able to sign the waiver for me...no questions asked.... i guess it just depends on who is checking you in... also they never said that they were not my parents....they just said "we need two waivers please" and they signed it and the person checking us in punched my seapass card, and that was it.... never had a problem getting a beer or glass of wine the whole trip.

(for that trip we didn't complete our forms online...didn't know it was an option).

We are sailing again in Aug (on the Mariner) and will complete our forms online, from what I understand the waiver is right there online so hopefully we won't have a problem.

to answer both questions

The bar's get a list of those kids 18-20 who had the waiver signed, and apparently somehow, the pool bar's list was different then everyone else's. another thing about the pool bar- we could not get a bucket of amstel light, only corona "because of all the problems they had with kids drinking" how many "kids" do you see drinking amstel light vs corona? but whatever, we are not people who sit around and drink to get drunk, but the were 3 of us drinking amstel and my son Coors light. just thought it would be easier.

but the second question my son had one hole punched where the GF had 2 holes. (same as my 14 DD)

and yes I gave alcohol to a minor....

Why did your 14 yr old have a hole punched in her card? They punch the cards to show that you are 18-20 with a waiver....

They punch the cards twice to show that they aren't allowed to have any alcohol at all.

• 9 years later...

Thanks for the reply my sister is sailing with me and her son who is 19 is also coming we are sailing feom Southampton, england but cannot purchase the select drinks package and she was worried us laws applied. Thanks again

Regards martin

We're on the Voyager out of Barcelona next month, My sister and DH are with us along with their daughter & friend (both 19 years) They are not big drinkers but enjoy a glass of wine,

Q1. the drinking laws in the UK are 18 years which is the same for most of of Europe, Which applies on this cruise US or European legislation?

Q2. If US legislation applies based on jetladys quote, how do we get a waiver for her friend

You will not have any issues the age is 18yrs on cruises leaving europe ports (as long as not transatlantic ones). Had both girls last year 18 and 22 either could buy at the any bar (sent them for my drinks a few times :)

You will not have any issues the age is 18yrs on cruises leaving europe ports (as long as not transatlantic ones). Had both girls last year 18 and 22 either could buy at the any bar (sent them for my drinks a few times :)

The cruise was 10 years ago

What I don't understand is you can fight and die for your country at 18 but god forbid that same person wants to enjoy a drink on a cruise

Many moons ago individual states set the drinking age in the US, Then the Feds changed it to 18 for all states and the children went out and began killing themselves and others with irresponsible drinking and driving. So the feds changed it to 21. Privileges can be abused and lost as was this age thingy.

On board ship they can't drive drunk but they can and do fall overboard doing dumb things. If one "needs" an adult beverage before they are of legal age one might consider that to be a problem in the making.