debarking later

sharonbetty

Our flight was changed to 8 pm so I was wondering if we have to get up at the crack of dawn to debark at 8 am or if we were able to stay on the ship and debark later in the morning. I seem to remember last cruise, we rushed up in the morning only to sit around for hours waiting to debark. Anyone have experience leaving later? How much later could we get away with?

They want you up and off the boat as early as possible so that they can get the room ready. I believe we had to be totally out our room by 9:00 or 9:30. They do offer excursions that you can take your luggage with you and then they drop you at the airport. It might be something to look into.

Sue

Was on the Miracle in Nov. 2005 and the last call to leave the ship was around 10AM. You could book a tour through the ship, rent a car and do a self guided tour or even book a hotel room and enjoy the pool area. Good Luck! :)

I was on the Valor until last call, and that also was about 10 AM. The post-cruise tour is definitely a good idea if anything is offered that interests you. I've done that "wait until 8" thing, and it stunk. It ended up that I was sick AND the flight got delayed another hour and a half, meaning a VERY long day in the airport.

We went to breakfast around 7:00 am on our last day aboard (could have slept in a bit later). I had heard from someone that we needed to be out of our rooms by 8:30 but I don't think that really holds true. We then went back to the Lido deck to wait for our color to be called. Which was nice for the nine of us to sit and talk about our trip. Our color was one of the last one called which was around 9:30. One of the waiters told us that they want the ship cleared by 10:30.

I am a South Florida resident and I suggest you just rent a car for the day and check out a couple of the local hot spots... here are some choices:

Places to check out:

- South Beach

- Lincoln Road (it's an out door mail located near South Beach with plenty of shops and cafe's) there is a great movie theatre at the end of the mall...

- If you prefer pools over beach: Historic Venetian Pool

- Historic Landmark and Gardens of Vizcaya

- Looking for upscale shopping? Village of Merrick Park is nice

All these spots will keep you in the vicinity of the airport ... if you feel like venturing away (more than a 10 to 15 min drive) let me know I can toss up more suggestions... or if you can list what interest you ... i'll toss up some ideas

Since I usually drive to ports, I'm in no rush to leave the ship. I have coffee and croissant delivered. (I believe room service stops at 9 that morning, but I call around 7:30.)

Then I go for a nice b'fast in the dining room away from the mad rush at the buffet, then go back to my cabin for my carry-on. Then back on deck to have a last leisurely cuppa coffee while looking over the side at all the scurrying passengers.

I'm usually off the ship around 9 or 9:30. (It's much easier to find my luggage then, too.);)

I'm with you Cotton. While I do fly to the port city, I never book my return flight prior to 200PM so am never in any hurry to debark. I sleep in, room service coffee. Then shower and dress; to the dining room for a nice breakfast, make sure my "stuff" is out of the cabin by the required time. Then I get a nice cuppa, find a comfortable chair away from the crowd and just watch all the activity or read the last of my "cruise novel". After all the lines are gone; most of the folks are off, I pick up my small carry-on and walk right off....no waiting in hot/stuffy lines, don't have to wander around searching for my luggage.

I have just finished a beautiful vacation and am not about to fall right back in to that "rush, rush, rush" mode. I try to delay that as long as possible.

(Sigh), just talking about it makes me feel good!:p

sharonbetty,

Consider it another day added on to your vacation to see a part of the US that you normally wouldn't. You did not mention which port you were coming into, but I am sure they all have fun stuff to do.

On our recent cruise on the Glory, we rented a car after debarking in Port Canaveral and went on a visit to the Kennedy Space Center. Even got to see the Shuttle on the launch pad. When we were done, had a short drive back to the airport, Orlando, a relaxed dinner and got on our plane back home. Our luggage stayed in the car while we were touring. Found this to be much more affordable than a cruise tour and we were at our own pace to get to the airport on our schedule.

Our last cruise we sailed out of Miami. That day we got a room for the day at one of the hotels in South Beach and spent the day relaxing on the beach. Again, a nice dinner before heading to the airport.

Either way we had an extension on an already wonderful vacation that we didn't want to end. No, its not the same as being on the ship, but . . .:D

Archived