Sunrise and Sunset photos

Do you prefer sunrises or sunsets?  

844 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer sunrises or sunsets?

• I prefer sunrises.
    • I prefer sunsets.
    • I enjoy both equally.

Tater 1800- Re green flash.

Do you?

No, I wish I did. I am not that patient. I do have one taken in Jamaica of sort of a rainbow effect around the sun. This was taken right in the middle of the day. However it was very hard to photograph, and did not come out the best. I can't remember what it's called though. Anyone??

Judi

Hello People... ! what wonderful wonderful photos.. is there some way that I could purchase some of these wonderful photos. I do not believe in taking them from the net.. and I dont want to be saying the wrong thing on this site but I really really love some of the photos and would pay for a copy.. especially if the photog would sign .. boy .. i would be thrilled to have on my wall! it would be like being on the cruise all over again!

please forgive me if I spoke in error in my ignorance

thank you

blue

Blue,

Any photos of mine may be purchased for a simple, "thank you". They are all on my web page linked in my profile.

Tater 1800- Re green flash.

Do you?

No, I wish I did. I am not that patient. I do have one taken in Jamaica of sort of a rainbow effect around the sun. This was taken right in the middle of the day. However it was very hard to photograph, and did not come out the best. I can't remember what it's called though. Anyone??

Judi

Judi,

I have permanent spots in my vision from waiting for the green flash.;)

There always seems to be a low cloud that gets in the way. Here is a link with atmospheric images.

http://www.atoptics.co.uk/

Hello People... ! what wonderful wonderful photos.. is there some way that I could purchase some of these wonderful photos. I do not believe in taking them from the net.. and I dont want to be saying the wrong thing on this site but I really really love some of the photos and would pay for a copy.. especially if the photog would sign .. boy .. i would be thrilled to have on my wall! it would be like being on the cruise all over again!

please forgive me if I spoke in error in my ignorance

thank you

blue

You can down load any of my photos that you want. No problem.

Geez .. I was just overwhelmed.. you guys are the best!! I keep looking at this thread.. with just about the best pix I have ever seen! I can't decide on one.. but so very blessed that CC has very talented photogs and a very smart Person who started this thread. It really brings to mind why I cruise in the first place..

to be quiet inside myself so I can hear.. the beauty around me. I look at these photos.. I imagine myself there .. on a balcony.. and life sure seems nicer already! You really don't know how wonderful it is to see these pix. I take pix as often as I can but truly, forget more than not because I am enthralled by it all and later I say to myself. darn.. but here..

I am saved! You saved it for me!!!! I hope they never lose this thread.. so I can come back every night after everything. turn on the computer and head on over to CC and the "balcony" sunrise, sunsets and Moon in between!

Thank you again, Cuizer2, Tater1800 and AngelJT!! i wish i had the words.. but I am very encouraged to visit!

Keep posting everyone.. this is "the" thread!! :)

BlownAwayBlue

I have a picture I would like to add to this thread. Can anybody tell me how to copy a photo directly into a posting on this website? When I try to copy the "paste" option is inactive when I get to the target.

If you do what you are trying to do, the photo will be very small. Instead:

1) Go to a photo hosting web site. There are many. I use Photobucket.Com because it is free (many others are also) ...

http://www.photobucket.com/

Do not use Webshots. Though it is free, and a very good site, there is a problem with linking to webshots from here.

2) Upload your photo to the photo hosting web site.

3) Each photo hosting web site might be a little different. In Photobucket there are three different ways to link to the photo. If you do not use Photobucket, you might have to experiment a little. At any rate, using Photobucket I can either take the URL address (right click and copy) then left click on the yellow box with the mountain and sun (put your mouse over it and a "Insert Image" bubble will show up). Right click inside the box and paste. Then left click on okay and your picture should be visable.

Or, I can use the Tag address (right click - copy) and then left click on the insert link (earth with a chain under it) and then right click - paste, left click on okay. However, this usually results in two photos and then I have to delete one.

Or, I also belong to another cruise forum where I have some photos stored. I use Firefox as my browser. Firefox has two advantages I like over IE. A) tabs. B) I can right click on a photo and obtain its image location and then paste that into the insert image pop up window and display the photo here. That is what I did on post # 13 of this thread.

Firefox is free. You can download it at http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

The following photos are a combination of sunset photos I took on my October 2005 cruise and a photo I took of the Carnival Pride in Cabo ...

IMG_1125.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1720.jpg

Glad to see this thread is taking off. I've been reading the posts and enjoying the photos and thought I'd comment on a couple of items.

angeljt - Great idea on the moon shots. Wish I had thought to add that to the thread title. Does anyone know of a way to edit the thread title?

ZydeDiverDC - You can feel free to use any of my photos as well.

Green Flash - I hate to show my ignorance, but what is a green flash? :confused:

Thanks again for all the great posts.

Ditto on the photo permission to all the others - no money required...just right-click and save anything I posted if you want to use any.

Cuizer2, those are some very nice sunsets layered behind your ship photo. I might throw out one suggestion in your layering - because the lighting was so different between the ship and the background, a good idea would be to adjust the layer with the ship photo to the same color gradient as the background - a little 'sunset' tint to the ship so it matches better. Of course, the second photo would be the best one, as the other two have the sunstreak reflected in the ocean which would be blocked by the ship's casted shadow...some orange hue to the ship will help it match the sunset colors in #2. The shadows cast on the ship itself from the sun (along the bridge wings and stack, for example) are a bit of a giveaway, but if the color was right, few people would take notice. It's lots of fun blending layers though! As you can see, I've done it with my signature...throwing the Constellation into the small bay in my hometown. ;)

Amarillo,

A green flash is a brief color phenomenon that sometimes occurs as the sun is at the last little moment of sunset. Just before it hides below the horizon, or sometimes just after, you sometimes can see a little, several-second glimpse of a pure, bright, clear green color. Sometimes it's a little narrow line, sometimes a bright dot. Sometimes it is visible when the top of the sun is still out, so it floats like a mirage just above the sun. Because it is such a brief atmospheric phenomenon, photographers like to challenge themselves by trying to capture it, especially with a long-zoom lens that can really get a close-up view of it.

tater1800,

Thanks for the links. I will share them with my DH. Great examples.

We definitely wait for the sunsets. Though lots of people do not like Jamaica we spent 5 nights there at an AI in 2005 and saw some of the best sunsets ever. Practically everyone at the resort could be found on thier balcony or patio with camcorders and cameras waiting each night for sunset, and the sunsets just got better each night. (If that's at all possible.)

On our cruises we have to make sure we are on the correct side of the ship to catch the sunset. It just doesn't always work out.:cool:

Thanks everyone for sharing your photos.

Geez .. I was just overwhelmed.. you guys are the best!! I keep looking at this thread.. with just about the best pix I have ever seen! I can't decide on one.. but so very blessed that CC has very talented photogs and a very smart Person who started this thread. It really brings to mind why I cruise in the first place..

to be quiet inside myself so I can hear.. the beauty around me. I look at these photos.. I imagine myself there .. on a balcony.. and life sure seems nicer already! You really don't know how wonderful it is to see these pix. I take pix as often as I can but truly, forget more than not because I am enthralled by it all and later I say to myself. darn.. but here..

I am saved! You saved it for me!!!! I hope they never lose this thread.. so I can come back every night after everything. turn on the computer and head on over to CC and the "balcony" sunrise, sunsets and Moon in between!

Thank you again, Cuizer2, Tater1800 and AngelJT!! i wish i had the words.. but I am very encouraged to visit!

Keep posting everyone.. this is "the" thread!! :)

BlownAwayBlue

ZydeDiverDC,

I agree with you here, there are some beautiful pictures posted. Lot's of great photographers!!! This is a great thread. I'm glad that Amarillocruisecat started it. There is also another thread with some great pics you might want to check out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=227774

I love taking pictures, but I would like to learn more about layering and things like that. I just point and shoot with the digital. It's not like my old Canon where I had to figure out all the settings.

Where in New England do you live? We are from Malden, MA originally, but now live in Fairhaven, MA.

Jackie

Hello Jackie! I have a Nikon FM10.. and I received a Canon PowerShot SD500! Its a little bigger than a Certs box! and you can still play a bit. I lived for a bit in Newport RI, NoAttle Ma and am now in NY. I went to college ( Stonehill ) with a really nice person from Fairhaven.. so I had to go visit the town :) just to see why he was a really pleasant person. Visited Fall River to see the Battleships while down there.. and somehow forgot my camera. Go figure.

Here are the only sunsets I ever took the time to print of mine. I am so lazy since digital and CDs.

will visit the thread you mentioned asap!

I am able to clean up red eye, crop and such and am playing with Layering but not comfortable with it yet. I admire those who can. As with any photographer on this thread.. I am amazed! and i love it!

Thank you!

blue

328870817_5SunsetDC3sm.jpeg.cab1e4ff4e46d0e8683982b838e251f6.jpeg

Archived