Small vs. Large Dining Room table with Kids...

iliketorelax

Hello-

I am sailing with my wife and a 10 and 12 year old on RCL's Freedom and I need to select a dining room table size.......I would like to sit at a larger table for the whole mingling thing, but I am not sure of how they group you......do they take into account the ages of everyone in the party??

I would hate for them to group us with 6 or 8 people who don't enjoy sitting with children......which I understand.

How is this arranged?

Thanks

I've never seen a cruise line group people in any particular way, so you're taking a chance with a large table. As a solo cruiser, I've been placed at tables with honeymooners, retirees, and people with very young kids (sorry I didn't care for that as the kids were horribly misbehaved and parents didn't do anything about the screaming infant). You could get lucky and be seated with another family, but you can't count on that. Do what you think is best for you and your family, is all I can say.

On our last Caribbean cruise we had a table for four for just our family. But on our three other cruises, our tablemates have been families with a child about the same age as our DD. Based on our experience, I'd say that at least Carnival attempts to assign you to a table with other families...

Cheers!

Jayne

:D

When our children were younger we used to take them on cruises with us each year. Typically, we would request a table for eight so that we would meet others. In several cases, we would end up at a table with another family with children. Sometimes, it worked out nicely that the children were the similar in age to ours, sometime they were different ages and sometimes times they grouped us with two other couples without children. So, there really is not a guarantee on the outcome.

On the most part all of this worked out. I remember that on one of our cruises we were grouped with just two other couples who knew each other and for the first few minutes I think they were thinking why was a family with two children put at their table but after a few awkward minutes everything worked out for the rest of the cruise and they turned out to be wonderful tablemates who also took a nice interest in the children in terms of having converstations with them.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about this. If you realize during the first night that the table is not working for you, just see the Matre Di and explain the situation and asked to be moved to another table.

Of course, if you want to play it safe, just go with a table for four.

Keith

I have never cruised on a ship with children but I have always asked to be placed on a large table so that we meet quite a few people.

I would sugget that you speak to you TA or with the cruise line when you book to express your preferences about being seated with another family/s.

Ships try, when possible, to seat like ages/ groups together, so you may be with another family. Obviously this doesn't always work out logistically, but they will try. You can make a special request to be seated with others who have children; that might help.

Archived