Galveston Hotels W/ Cruise Parking

TXParrothead

We are staying at the Best Western Beachfront on Seawall Blvd. in October for only 59.00/night. This seems like a very low price in relation to other motels in the area. (I know it's not a Hilton, but hope it's better than a motel 6) Should I be concerned that this place is a dump or is it ok? Best Western is usually a decent motel for the $$ but this just seems too good to be true.....Any locals have info on this motel? Any one stayed here before?

Also....how close to dining/fun spots??

Thanks!!!!!!:D

I have stayed at this hotel before and it is not a bad hotel. It is a typical best western. It is on the seawall and that is where most things are in Galveston. When you come into town turn right on 61th street and stay on it until reach the gulf. Turn left and it is not far on the left. To find a place to eat drive easr on the seawall until you fund what you would like to eat. It has parking under the hotel out of the weather if you can park there.

I have stayed at this hotel before and it is not a bad hotel. It is a typical best western. It is on the seawall and that is where most things are in Galveston. When you come into town turn right on 61th street and stay on it until reach the gulf. Turn left and it is not far on the left. To find a place to eat drive easr on the seawall until you fund what you would like to eat. It has parking under the hotel out of the weather if you can park there.

Thanks....been reading some not so great reviews about this hotel. But it's just a cheap place to sleep and shower before the cruise. They do offer free cruise parking too, is it a safe area to leave the car?

I would strongly caution you to reconsider your commitment to stay at HOJO's on harborside drive.

1. the location is terrible, in an industrial area of Galveston...right next door is a truck stop, that will have semi's coming and going all times of the night

2. From others who have stayed there....running directly behind the HOJO"S is a train tracks, which is often used...again at all hours.

3. Located behind the HOJO's is a drainage ditch that often has standing mosquito infested water....several other reported mosquito infested rooms.

not my idea of a pleasant place to stay pre/post cruise

We are cruising at Thanksgiving and just made a reservation at the Ramada Limited for $60. Last time we cruised at Christmas a couple of years ago we stayed at the Commodore and parked for free. They also had a free shuttle but when I looked this year they are charging for the service.

We have stayed twice at the Moody Gardens Hotel. They have a great package which includes parking and breakfast. It is covered parking and if it rains, they make sure your car is in a safe place. The car's air conditioner was even turned on right before we arrived so the car felt great and moved to where people are dropped off when you come back. There is also is a lot to do around that hotel including an aquarium, butterfly garden, omnimax theaters, pool and much more. Thre are package deals for those activities as well. We have stayed at the Tremont Hotel, and the San Louis also but really prefer this one. They have a van service to and from the hotel to the ship. I would highly recommend them. Makes me want to go back just writing this.

We've stayed at various places between Houston and on the island before our cruises from Galveston. Last time was at the older LaQuinta on Seawall Blvd. 3rd floor, back of hotel, no elevator. Wouldn't recommend it. For our next cruise in Feb., we've booked the Tremont which comes with free parking at their sister hotel, the Galvez; shuttle service included. It was a little more, but we usually pay to park at EZcruise, so I'm actually coming out ahead. Plus, we will be able to walk to the clubs from the hotel Saturday night. Have fun and have a great cruise everyone.

We just got back from Galveston and stayed at the Harbor House. It was really nice and I LOVED watching the Ecstasy come into port the next morning. We had a great view of the dock. The continental breakfast was okay, nothing to write home about but enough to keep us from starving. I didn't use their cruise parking as we had a rental car that we returned the morning of the cruise. It was a little more expensive than some of the hotels along the seawall, but really worth it for the location. Especially for us, since our daughter is an entertainer on the Ecstasy, it was so easy for her to get off the ship that morning and find us.

We have stayed at the Best Western and it is a good value, however the parking under the hotel is very limited and they will not let you leave your car in the covered parking for a cruise, you have to park uncovered.

This time we are splurging and staying at Moody Gardens with covered parking

Unless things have changed for the better in the last couple of months, which I doubt, the Flagship in Galveston is probably not the best choice. It's built out over the Gulf - a great concept - but there have been a lot of problems with management/upkeep.

Just a note for any of you driving into Galveston from either airport and needing hotel/motel rooms. If you aren't set on staying in Galveston proper, there are LOTS of new-ish motels in the Clear Lake area of Houston. This is the area surrounding NASA/Johnson Spacecraft Center. We are approximately 30 minutes S of Houston Hobby and 30 minutes north of the cruise port in Galveston. Most lodging in this area should have addresses on NASA Parkway/NASA Road #1 (name change going on) or Bay Area Blvd. Many of the motels are less than a mile east of I-45 with easy access. There are also some good restaurants in close proximity to the motels.

The guy who owns this place is in deep trouble with the government. He allegedly submitted fraudulent bills for Katrina refugees. I don't think I would feel comfortable staying at his establishment.:eek:

Highly recommemd Harbour House. I would verify the parking fee. I've heard they are charging more. However, there is no pool. Great place to stay though. Close enought to the Strand to walk and a lot of nice places to eat nwithin walking distance. They tried to tell me there is a 2 night minimum and i just told the reservationist that I had stayed there before and I only had a one night stay. He told me okay then and we have a reservation for January! Last year we were able to leave our car for the week and they didn't charge us anything. I've heard they have gone up so I'll see what I can find out.

Harbour House update on parking--just called and was told parking is $10/day you stay at hotel. $20 for the week you are cruising. So, for $30 you can park for the week(with one night stay) and walk to lots of fun places. You can even get up early and watch the ship come into port.

I made my final payment yesterday and asked the NCL rep if they had any "specials" at any local hotels in the area. I was given a price of $249.00 for one night at the Hilton, couldn't tell me anything about free parking or confirm transfers.

I am going to call on my own - but I thought that price was "slightly" overpriced.

I made my final payment yesterday and asked the NCL rep if they had any "specials" at any local hotels in the area. I was given a price of $249.00 for one night at the Hilton, couldn't tell me anything about free parking or confirm transfers.

I am going to call on my own - but I thought that price was "slightly" overpriced.

If you are cruising NCL, you should be cruising out of Houston and not Galveston. There are several motels in close proximity to the Port of Houston terminal which is in La Porte, Texas. If you need info on that area, let me know and I can help you.

P.S. Was the Hilton they were quoting in Nassau Bay, Texas, on NASA Parkway?

You are probably better off reserving the room yourself. If this quote is for the Hilton on Galveston island, it is way overpriced.

I did a lot of research and decided to reserve a room at the Galveston Island Hilton. It gets great reviews on the travel websites, it is near the beach, great restraunts nearby, free cruise parking, free shuttle service to the cruise terminal, and it looks like a great place to stay. We got a rate of $122.55, AAA rate.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Robert and Diane,

We will also be looking into the Hilton for our pre-cruise stay. Am going to call them today to get a rate. We are probably going to book a 2-day stay so we can spend a day seeing Galveston. It's a 10-1/2 hr drive for us so we'll get there at night.

When are you going on the Grand Princess. We're booked for 1/13.

Hawthorn Suites at The Victorian Resort & Conference Center

6300 Seawall Blvd.

Phone: (409)740-3555

Free parking, free shuttle and heated swimming pool with balcony overlooking the gulf for $159.00 night. No minimum #2 night. We are booked on our May cruise. It sounds like my family will enjoy this resort.

Click here: http://www.victoriancondo.com/

We stayed at Wynham Hotel at the Strand the last time. There were no parking available there.

Thanks for the heads up - I am not sure why I thought we were sailing out of Galveston.

And it was the Hilton American.

We stayed at the Hilton Americas a few weeks ago. It is in downtown Houston across the street from the George R. Brown Center and adjacent to Minute Maid Park, no where near the Houston cruise terminal. By the way I Pricelined it for $55 per night.

:confused: I just called the Hilton and got a quote of $134.10. How did you book your room to get the rate you got?

We are staying at Hilton before & after our cruise. Go to their website & look at the net-direct price. You have to pay in advance & it's non-refundable but... We got Saturday for 93 and the Sunday after for 86!:) Much better if you don't mind non-refundable. (Free cruise parking & shuttle!)

Archived