Attire in Pinnacle Grill

wgeddings

In the Pinnacle Grill (specifically on Veendam but probably on any of the other ships), are coat and tie required for the men and dresses for the ladies or are khakis and a dress shirt sufficient? I know how this type of question can devolve into questions of whether to dress up, etc. and flames can start but I cannot find an answer on the HAL website and want to know what is REQUIRED. If it is optional, that is fine but I just wanted to know.

In the main dining, I have seldom seen anyone turned away, even if not wearing a coat/tie on formal nights (but I have seen people in shorts turned away).

I dress for the Pinnacle the same way I would for the dining room. However, if it's casual night, I might dress a little dressier than that, but that's just me.

I'll be interested in the other responses you get.

Roz

Thanks Peaches. So the two have the same dress code requirement based on what the code is that night in the main dining room. Is that written anywhere?

It may be on the website, I don't know, but will try to check. However, we have been in the Pinnacle at least twice each cruise on 5 ships and it is the dress code requirement. I do say requirement because it is what you asked, but some pax do get a little more nicely dressed than casual. But that is not 'required'. I think we end up in squabbles on the board because often the question is answered with opinion rather than fact. :D

From HAL's Dress Code:

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

In other words, passengers are asked to abide by the Line's dress code in all public spaces aboard ship (except the Lido and outdoors), and for the entire evening, not just while in the main dining room. Hence, yes, the evening's dress code applies to the Pinnacle Grill as well.

As for what one may see people doing: even on casual nights I will often dress at least informally for the Pinnacle -- jacket and slacks -- and will often times add a tie or clerical collar.

I wear my baseball cap turned backwards, my shorts or torn jeans, my favorite beer-logo sleeveless-t and flip-flops.:rolleyes:

...and nobody better say nothin' to me about it 'cause this is my vacation I paid for myself and I don't care what no one else thinks!!!

;)

I wear my baseball cap turned backwards, my shorts or torn jeans, my favorite beer-logo sleeveless-t and flip-flops.:rolleyes:

...and nobody better say nothin' to me about it 'cause this is my vacation I paid for myself and I don't care what no one else thinks!!!

;)

What colour flip-flops?

Is there an ettiquette for flip-flops?

I wouldn't want tp look silly by having the wrong flip-flops on.

It may be on the website, I don't know, but will try to check. However, we have been in the Pinnacle at least twice each cruise on 5 ships and it is the dress code requirement. I do say requirement because it is what you asked, but some pax do get a little more nicely dressed than casual. But that is not 'required'. I think we end up in squabbles on the board because often the question is answered with opinion rather than fact. :D

Thanks again Peaches. That is exactly what I wanted to know (and thanks Revneal for pointing out that the dress code is intended for the entire evening, that makes good sense). Hopefully this thread will die now since I was hesitant to even ask the question because I knew people would begin to want to debate opinions, what they like to wear or have seen worn. You have answered what I wanted to know though exactly so I appreciate it.

Guess what! I visted the HAL website today and was rummaging around "for booked guests" and what did I find under "packing for Alaska"

"Please note that dress in the Pinnacle Grill is informal or Formal at all times"

When did they slip that in?

Go figure!

GN

;)

It's obviously time for an old fashioned fan favorite: keel-hauling!:eek:

Guess what! I visted the HAL website today and was rummaging around "for booked guests" and what did I find under "packing for Alaska"

"Please note that dress in the Pinnacle Grill is informal or Formal at all times"

LOL ... things DO change, don't they ... and not always for the worse.

I asked and this notification was approved in March, 2006. The pdf with this advice is here:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/guests/PackingForAlaska_FactSheet.pdf

How very very interesting. Note please, that the HAL info says that the informal or formal attire in the Pinnacle Grill is recommended. Supposed pax showed up in casual attire on casual night? I wonder what would happen?

Is this just in Alaska?

Also, the info states that jeans are not permitted in the dining room. And we've got another thread going that says they are. How very very interesting.

I've got an idea. Let's just throw in the towel & try the nudie cruise. Then we won't have to worry about any dress code in any restaurant. ;) :D

How very very interesting. Note please, that the HAL info says that the informal or formal attire in the Pinnacle Grill is recommended. Supposed pax showed up in casual attire on casual night? I wonder what would happen?

Nothing would happen. Unless maybe someone came in shorts and a tank shirt. HAL is not big on enforcement of codes of any kind.

Nothing would happen. Unless maybe someone came in shorts and a tank shirt. HAL is not big on enforcement of codes of any kind.

I am sorry. I know I said I wanted to see this thread die and not devolve into debate but I cannot resist adding something.

On Zuiderdam, it was an informal night (like third night of the cruise or so) and I was walking out of the dining room to get something from the cabin. I saw a man wearing flip-flops, shorts, tank top almost yelling at the head waiter that he had paid for his meals and wanted to go and eat them. I slowed down so I could "accidentally" keep overhearing and was just amazed when the guy started saying that they should have posted some kind of notice of written a letter to people telling them that shorts/tank tops would not be allowed in the dining room. How could anyone not have noticed all the thousands of times that information is already provided! Anyway, the head waiter was being very nice and offering to have room service bring the guy a meal in his room of whatever he wanted from that night's menu, or to make any other reasonable accomodation but the guy was just being a jerk. It was the first time that I saw a dress code being enforced but I did note that the head waiter was handling it VERY politely and appropriately.

Guess it goes to show again that no matter how many times you tell people something, it does no good if they are not listening.

I agree with you. Isn't it amazing that so many never even look at their cruise documents or even before deciding to book, look to see if the cruise or cruiseline is really the one they want. We've seen people pounding on the desk at the front office demanding their money back because no one mentioned that this trip had tender ports.

Yes, communication works both ways, and listening is a BIG half of it. That's what so great about cruise critic, and most of us read and take note. Thanks CC

GN

grannynurse and Sunshine91,

I think it's all a matter of a severe lack of coordination on the part of the administration at HAL HQ. I'm sorry to say this, but in terms of policy setting and implementation, HAL stinks.

If anyone at HAL HQ is reading this and thinks "well, let HIM do a better job" ... fine ... offer me a nice, cushy job as a VP at HAL HQ, and I'll take it ... just let me do chaplain duties, too, so I can get the Bishop to make it an "Appointment Beyond the Local Church." :) You have my e-mail. :D

Just got back a response to an e-mail I shot into HAL HQ. According to my sources, the policy:

"informal wear or formal wear is recommended at the Pinnacle Grill at all times."

Is a fleet-wide policy, not just Alaska-specific.. Why it's not published outside the Alaska Packing Tips PDF is a curiosity to my source ... it's supposed to be updated on the website and in the "Know Before You Go." I gathered, from my e-mail, some frustration on the part of some people.

Also, in response to my query regarding the term "recommended" the response was that this was simply a polite form of expression ... that it is, actually, going to be enforced.

One can only hope. :) Their inconsistent track record over the past 5 or so years leaves one wondering.

I've just read the "Packing for an Alaska Cruise" prepared by "experts" at Holland America Line. Under Dinner Dress it states "Please note...Jeans...are NOT PERMITTED in the Dining Room or Pinnacle Grill. But on other threads I've read that Jeans are now allowed in the Dining Room. Seems like walking down the street in opposite directions at the same time. Is paying for the cruise required or NOW only recommend?

If anyone at HAL HQ is reading this and thinks "well, let HIM do a better job" ... fine ... offer me a nice, cushy job as a VP at HAL HQ, and I'll take it ... just let me do chaplain duties, too, so I can get the Bishop to make it an "Appointment Beyond the Local Church." :) You have my e-mail. :D

Just to be sure: I immediately, and unconditionally, volunteer to be Assistant to the VP (thereby assuring said VP of unlimited chaplain duties at-will) at a to-be-determined salary commensurate with ability. Just let me know the starting date! :D

Paul ;)

(you have my email, as well! :) )

Greg,

As you saw above I just mentioned the communication issue, I absolutely agree that coordination and implementation are sorely lacking. Policy setting and enforcement can't survive if someone is talking to no one at the home office, AND THEN, what about office to ship dialogue? That's really my only thorny issue, it doesn't seem to exist. Customer requests made well in advance seem to disappear. Bon Voyage gifts are either mis-labeled, not labeled, or misdirected. Reps on-phone or online are out of the loop and lack onboard experience causing cranio-rectal inversion to the max. OOOPS, 'nuther soap box, I'll get off. Sorry I didn't mean to dump on you. Thanks for leading the "Angel Avengers" on this board.

GN

Thanks Peaches. So the two have the same dress code requirement based on what the code is that night in the main dining room. Is that written anywhere?

I'm sure it is buried somewhere in the onboard policies and procedures, but we were clearly told on the Amsterdam that Pinnacle Grill's dress code would be whatever the dining room dress code was for any given night.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived