Getting There and Back??

sail7seas

If DH didn't have so many health problems and resticktions, we would to fly to other embarkation ports. But 14 hour+ --- no longer can do.

There were times when we flew all over the world - never thought a thing about flying to Istanbul, etc.

AHHHHH - to be young again!!

We don't mind flying, and I've flown enough for business and liesure over the years that I've learned to expect the worse and anything better is a bonus. also, being retired, We can be a little more flexible with travel dates most of the time. Living in the SW corner of Florida, we have 4 ports within a 2 to 4 hour drive, but if there's a cruise we want to do and it involves flying, no problem. We look at itinerary first and then see what it will take to accomplish that. Consideration of whether or not we have to fly is not a big factor.

Have you passed up a cruise you would have otherwise probably booked but the air travel was too unappealing?

For us, absolutely not. There is so much of the world we want to see, that flying to the embarkation point is not an issue. We are still physically/mentally able to put up with any inconvenience getting there and back for a cruise. How long this will continue, who knows? So we need to get in as much as we can while we are still willing and able:D .

John

Have you passed up a cruise you would have otherwise probably booked but the air travel was too unappealing?

if we could not tolerate the long flights. We always look at the itinerary first and then worry afterwards about where we will pick up the ship.

I must admit, that the airlines that fly out of Australia, are 100% better than what you have to put up with in the U.S.

My DH and I received the biggest shock of our lives when we flew across the U.S. in January. We could not believe the how old the planes were, how little room there was in the cabin and what amenities you were given and we were flying 1st class!! I hate to think what the back of the plane is like.

We still have the long flights but at least we have ample leg room even if one flies in Economy. We also have wonderful service from the flight attendants and good entertainment on demand. The flights are long and one gets bored but there is always the cruise or vacation to look forward. The hardest part is the return journey when you know that the vacation is just about over. :(

I think the journey across the Pacific is easy compared with the flight to Europe especially coming from the U.S. as the planes leave at night and you sleep most of the way. Just pick a decent airline, like Qantas or Air New Zealand and you will be fine. ;)

Jennie

Thanks for starting this, Sail. It's always good to know when you're not the only one that doesn't like to fly! We don't fly any more, period! I never liked it, and DH flew lots for business and has had enough! However, since we are retired that hasn't stopped us from cruising. We live in California so we have done and continue to do Mexico itineraries from either LA or San Diego. We drove to Galveston for a Christmas cruise once. That was a great trip as our daughter and granddaughter drove with us and our SIL flew in to meet us for the cruise. We drove across country two years ago to cruise the Caribbean from FLL combined with some East Coast exploration. We have driven to Vancouver several times for Alaska cruises and twice to take the once a year Vancouver/Hawaii/Ensenada route. When we do that one. we rent a car to drive to Vancouver and another to get home to northern California from San Diego. Like Kakalina above stated, we've also done the Panama full transit and then rented a car to drive home. That was a wonderful trip. We always plan our road trip to include something special each day; we begin our daily drive early and stop by 3 or 4 in the afternoon. It's a great way to see the country and cuts down on post cruise depression as we are always looking forward to that homeward bound trip - no planes involved!! I know this must sound crazy to some of you, but as long as DH enjoys driving, I'm a willing passenger! We would really like to get to Europe and keep hoping for a RT to the med - saw one this year RT from Boston, but it was the northern route. We'll just keep waiting and maybe someday.....We're thrilled that there are now RT Hawaii cruises from out here, but we have yet to take one of those 'cause they sure don't allow much time in the islands. We're just about ready to book one of those anyway! We'll need another Hawaii fix before very long! We also love long cruises, but for those the balcony prices have to be reasonable for us to consider them.

While air travel certainly isn't the joy it used to be, the hassles and expense haven't entered into our cruise decisions. We look at it simply as part of the cost of feeding our habit! :)

However, we have passed on some extremely interesting itineraries in Austrailia and New Zealand because of the very, very lengthy flights to get there. I'm just not ready to endure that long a flight at this point.

We recently booked our Australia / New Zealand trip......with the long flight...........for the opposite reason........because we want to go while we still can tolerate the long flights. Holding off on Alaska.......to do that when travel is more difficult.

We would never travel if we could not tolerate the long flights.

That's geography for you :) !

It seems to me that Australians and New Zealanders are the best at tolerating long flights. You have the most practice! (I guess the Kiwis have even a bit more practice, as NZ is even further from anywhere...)

My DH and I received the biggest shock of our lives when we flew across the U.S. in January. We could not believe the how old the planes were, how little room there was in the cabin and what amenities you were given and we were flying 1st class!! I hate to think what the back of the plane is like.

Not very different, just that the seats are even smaller and you don't get any food!

These days, very few Americans pay for so-called "first class". Basically, it exists as a perk for people with high frequent-flyer status. Unlike the rest of the world, in the US, people with "elite" frequent-flyer status on most airlines are entitled to unlimited free upgrades on domestic flights. If you are lucky enough to score an upgrade, or heaven forbid, you pay for "first class", all you get is a slightly bigger seat and, if you're really lucky, food. (Note, I did not say "good food" or "a lot of food".) Oh, I think you still get free alcohol too. This is in contrast to the back of the plane where you get a micro-sized seat and no food (unless you pay for it - some airlines will sell it to you now) and certainly no free alcohol (a pity, as it would help make you forget that the guy who designed the airplane's seat arrangement was obviously a sadist).

Of course, most of the world does not even have "first class" except sometimes on very long flights where it sits above business class and is very luxurious and very expensive. Since this is most non-Americans' experience of "first class", they come to the US expecting this of our "first class". Inevitably they are disappointed to find that "first class" is just what American airlines call the very, very poor business class on domestic flights! (I suspect this is so as not to tarnish the reputation of their international business class products, most of which are pretty poor anyway by today's standards.)

"First class" in the US is generally the equivalent of business class on intra-European flights except:

- Most people pay for intra-European business-class; most people upgrade into American "first-class"

- If you do pay for "first-class" in the US, it will cost a lot more than a business-class ticket in Europe, because you need to subsidise the guy sitting next to you, who got automatically upgraded for being a Super Platinum Titanium Grand Executive Elite Member of the frequent-flyer program

- The seats in our "first-class" are marginally better than intra-European business class where they are usually just economy seats with the middle seats unsold

- The food in intra-European business class is usually much better and more plentiful

- In intra-European business class you get access to the executive lounge; US airlines do this for international business class but not for "first class". Being an elite frequent flyer on that airline doesn't help either; you still have to pay to use the lounge, which is far inferior to ones in other places anyway (no free food and drink).

For me, a good domestic US flight means that we arrived on time, my luggage arrived on time, and I was sitting next to a very slim person ;) ! (I inevitably wind up in economy since I don't find it worth the trouble to be "loyal" to one airline so I can get upgraded to their poor "first class".)

I think the journey across the Pacific is easy compared with the flight to Europe especially coming from the U.S. as the planes leave at night and you sleep most of the way.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to fly from Australia to Europe!

From the US, outbound flights across both the Pacific and the Atlantic are overnight flights. I've never done the Pacific, but have crossed the Atlantic many times... Yes, if you fly a decent airline, it is not bad at all.

Last time I crossed was to London this past January - I was forced to fly American. It was not very good but it was an awful lot better than their domestic services! I was rather amused to see that there was a choice of about six channels on the on-board entertainment system, all with things that I found utterly unappealing. It was the first overnight flight I've been on in a long time where most people actually slept - these days, on airlines with good entertainment systems, the cabin is usually lit in the middle of the night by a few hundred glowing video screens! Still, it was altogether not bad, given my extremely low expectations from their pathetic domestic service. But that said, a few months earlier I had flown with KLM to Amsterdam and that was 1000% better in every respect...

We haven't ruled out any destination due to travel yet. We're in our mid 60's but determined to keep "booking". We mention to each other the hardships of long distances, but do them anyway and have never been disappointed. Our trips to Antarctica and So. Aftrica have been the most taxing on us travel wise, but sensational! Next one is to Osaka, now that too will be some flight. But the end results are well worth it!!! Of course a nice cruise out of NYC round trip hits the spot too. DH and I believe a "moving" target is harder to hit. Meaning... just keep going and maybe when you start to fall apart you won't realize it! Hopefully!

Great responses. Makes me happy to hear I'm not the only one who will pick and choose how much I am willing to put up with from domestic carriers.

We've flown transatlantic at least 30 times in the past and I have no desire, at this point, to make it even one more time.

We almost always used to fly first class, but, as Doug says, it no longer exists in the U.S. as anything any reasonable person who truly describe as first class.

I'm grateful we did as much travel as we did when it was pleasant and comfortable and a passenger was treated with courtesy and decency.

Bucky3, I am so glad you posted. That is the exact same way I feel. I flew for business all the time as did my DH. We are now both retired so I can make a choice on my own not to fly again. Nothing to do with the hassle or cost. Just a fear of flying basically. My DH is not as supportive in the no-fly position but he has learned to live with it since my blood pressure and sense of well being has improved as a result of the decision. I am the driver most of the time and I love to drive. I get all the slings and arrows thrown at me about how dangerous driving is etc but I feel like I have a fighting chance if I am in control and drive safely. Not always of course, but most of the time.

I will drive anywhere on the east coast and probably will do the Boston Maasdam cruise. I enjoy seeing the sights along the way and love a good road trip. I would love to drive to the west coast, or at least Las Vegas but my DH is not such a fan of that.

I'm landlocked, so I have to fly. That said, the price of the flight is a huge factor for me. Recently I opted out of a group cruise sponsored by my walking club. The cruise left from San Juan, and the airfare for me was out of sight. Those club members who live in mega cities have more access to reasonable air fare.

I also will pay a bit more to get a non-stop flight.

Roz

I (we) have. We refused to cruise "MY" :) Maasdam out of Norfolk because of what we would have to do to get there. We would have enjoyed doing that cruise but opted to "just say no". There definitely have been others we passed over because of air choices.

SSS --

I'm not sure when it was that you decided not to fly BOS - ORF to cruise on the Maasdam, but Delta Air Lines now has two daily non-stops operating on the route: a mid-morning and a late afternoon departure. Maybe this will help with future plans.

Happy sailing!!

Thanks, AirGorilla.......Was that Delta Song? Delta Express?

Maasdam won't be doing Norfolk for very long once she ends her summer runs. I think her Christmas cruise out of Norfolk will be her last and she repositions to FLL??? We were booked on an 11 day Christmas cruise going out of FLL. It technically starts in Norfolk but has a secondary embarkation in FLL. We had to cancel that cruise though.

Generally speaking the port is not an issue for us. Sure, air travel is expensive nowadays and I'd love to be able to drive to the port but San Antonio, Texas isn't, with the exception of the Port of Galveston which doesn't have a HAL presence right now, exactly close to any of the major ports so flying is just part of the package. About the ony port we more or less dismiss out of hand is New York and a lot of that has to do with the itinerary of the cruise out of New York, not so much the city or the port. Would also have to admit that the idea of flying into New York during the winter, since we cruise in the January to March timeframe, leaves me a bit "cold".

Thanks, AirGorilla.......Was that Delta Song? Delta Express?

Maasdam won't be doing Norfolk for very long once she ends her summer runs. I think her Christmas cruise out of Norfolk will be her last and she repositions to FLL??? We were booked on an 11 day Christmas cruise going out of FLL. It technically starts in Norfolk but has a secondary embarkation in FLL. We had to cancel that cruise though.

The Delta service on that route is Delta Connection, their commuter carrier. The service is provided by regional jets, manufactured by Canadair and Embraer. At least they're not prop jobs!!

That's on my list of "Won't do"!!!! No way I'm getting on one of those commuter things. Just not to my liking. Besides....they'd make me choose between do I fly or does my luggage? :) I've never been accused of packing light and I doubt they'd take my luggage.

Our 1st (and only cruise to-date!!) was on Celebrity out of Bayonne, East.Carib. depart San Juan. We TOTALLY loved our cruise!! Flew into Newark from Toronto, a short bus ride to the port and we were onboard. Getting home was another matter all-together. Off the ship at 8AM, airport in San Juan, 2 hours wait ,then the flight delayed, flew to Miami, rushed to the next gate for Toronto cause we got in late ,another flight delay, flew home to Toronto, luggage didn't make the flight!, customs, 45 minute drive home ...... it was 1AM!!!! Plus schepping thru airports and on & off planes in a wheelchair was an real pain (figuratively AND realistically!).

We would love to do the Southern Caribbean, but it appears that most RT thru San Juan!!! To be honest, I'm gunshy about San Juan again.

The same as Europe or the Med., there's a long flight on at least one end!! I'm thinking, I'd rather get the horrible day out of the way in the beginning.

I think HAL needs to homeport in Toronto and cruise to the Caribbean !!!! :D :D :D

That's pretty funny! Sometimes, those RJ's have to offload some baggage in order to meet weight and balance regs.

Those commuter aircraft are not very pleasant, but the sad truth is that many airports serving medium-sized cities have the majority of their air service provided by regional jets. Baton Rouge, Wichita and Lexington/

Frankfort are examples of this.

Not at all for us. It has not entered into any of our cruise, land tour or independent travel considerations to date. Maybe some day, but not now.

Oh, I do look at the long flights required and groan, dread it and all, but my priority is to see new places, people and things. I love to travel and learn so that long air travel is just a necessary "evil".

Now, when there is a long flight involved - Europe, Asia, Africa, South America - we do extend our stay there to be more than a 14 day cruise or land tour. We look to combine things, be it land or sea travel. For example, we did two b2b riverboat cruises in Europe (Black Sea to Amsterdam, 28 days) but also spent a week before and a week after doing land based travel. For a 17 day Rick Steves tour of Eastern Europe we spend a week before in Italy and a week after in Paris. Makes the "pain and suffering" more worthwhile.

Now, if airlines ever went to the plan being explored for internal flights in China, standing upright strapped to boards, then I would have to reconsider I must say. (Did you see the experimental pictures from Airbus and China?)

I hate flying nowadays - It's sad when a little guy like me finds the seats in US economy small...

I wouldn't mind paying up to 2x more to fly if I knew that I was going to get a nice roomy seat and enough legroom that I don't have to worry about the person in front suddenly shoving their seatback into my knees while I have my legs crossed - and a footrest (other than my briefcase in the footwell) would be nice too. I recall reading someplace that inflight meals only cost the airline @ $12-15/head - I wouldnt mind paying $20 for a decent tasty meal.

However, I do object to being asked to pay 5x the economy fare for a "First Class" seat - that's just a ripoff.

Back to S7S's question: Flying is a necessary evil if I'm gonna get to go anywhere or see anything/anyone - it has yet to become horrifying enough to adversely affect my cruise plans. I just plug myself into my iPod and hope that I won't feel anything when my flight turns into a news item on CNN...

I just plug myself into my iPod and hope that I won't feel anything when my flight turns into a news item on CNN...

Could be worse! You could be flying Jet Blue (great airline, BTW) and watch your own flight on the seatback in front of you become news on CNN as it makes an emergency landing because it's nose gear got stubborn and is now facing sideways:eek:

And those computer planes are pretty entertaining on short flights! Lot's of stuff to see like masking tape holding back the stairs on the door through which you entered :D

Of course, most of the world does not even have "first class" except sometimes on very long flights where it sits above business class and is very luxurious and very expensive. Since this is most non-Americans' experience of "first class", they come to the US expecting this of our "first class". Inevitably they are disappointed to find that "first class" is just what American airlines call the very, very poor business class on domestic flights! (I suspect this is so as not to tarnish the reputation of their international business class products, most ch are pretty poor anyway by today's standards.)

we only have Business class and economy but our Business Class is very superior and a thousand times better than the first class we flew in the U.S. We were using Qantas F.F. points for our travel and had just arrived on a great flight on Cathay Pacific in first class from Hong Kong.

[B]- In intra-European business class you get access to the executive lounge; US airlines do this for international business class but not for "first class". Being an elite frequent flyer on that airline doesn't help either; you still have to pay to use the lounge, which is far inferior to ones in other places anyway (no free food and drink)....

Here in Australia, Domestic Business Class does have access to the Lounges and it is free with lots of food and drink and very comfortable and with internet connections. [/b]

We had to spend time in the American Airlines lounge in both L.A. and Miami. In the L.A. lounge we did get some nibbles for gratis but in the Miami lounge we had to pay for food and drink. We were on an International flight to Rio and we were booked into Business Class which were the best seats on that flight - there wasn't First Class.

I could not believe that we were asked to pay for our food in that lounge. As we travel frequently, we have been to many lounges around the world and never have we been asked to pay for any food or beverages. ;)

Travel is a great eye opener and it just makes one appreciate what one takes for granted at home. :)

Jennie

I'm actually afraid of adding up how much I've spent so far for our trip in December. Air alone was $1500 + cruise + hotel + transportation + Shore Excursions + tux rental + dog/house sitter + insurance + etc...Oh God, I don't think we'll be taking another trip like this for a while...oh wait, DH wants to visit his mother in FL next june...

Maybe an '08 cruise? I'm thinking Alaska...that might be more cost efficient! :p

Archived