Balcony rooms on Explorer

Just received my confirmation for cabin 6656 on explorer. I remember reading somewhere on CC that some of the balconies on Explorer have metal & some have the plexiglass. If anyone has been in this cabin or has pictures, let me know. Don't want to miss the view---Thanks!

Even if it has metal, you won't miss the view! You'll be standing at the railing watching the sea go by, wind in your hair, salt spray on your skin! The plexiglass is usually so spotted from the salt spray, you can't see through it anyway! You have to stand at the rail for the best view!

Just received my confirmation for cabin 6656 on explorer. I remember reading somewhere on CC that some of the balconies on Explorer have metal & some have the plexiglass. If anyone has been in this cabin or has pictures, let me know. Don't want to miss the view---Thanks!

We were in 6356 and had metal.

Hi there! You will love Explorer; she is magnificent. No amount of research online or pictures can do her justice. She has to be experienced! I'm so excited for you.

Here is a pic of my husband on the balcony after breakfast one morning... I guess you could say our balcony was both metal and plexiglass, but I know what you meant. As you can see, he can clearly see out... no obstucted view.

Have fun on your cruise!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/GlorytoGod/Breakfastonbalcony.jpg

~Karen

Hi Langley Cruisers!!

We are fellow Canadians going on this cruise on Sept. 22nd this year! We were on the Voyager last year for the first time and loved it. We were on the 6th deck with a balcony last year and this year on the Explorer we are on deck 8. I was wondering what deck you were on?( great pic of the balcony!!) Last year on the Voyager we had no plexigass on the 6th deck balcony.We really don't care, as long as we're on the cruise!

We, meaning my sister, her hubby and my hubby are driving down from Ontario to New Jersey to take the cruise. We leave the day before and stay over in a hotel, much easier that way, we would NOT want to take any chances missing our cruise!

Happy Cruising:)

Comet Cruiser

Gail

This is great news - I love that photo!! Previously I had thought that the balconies were only all metal surrounds, not of half glass half metal, and they seemed a bit claustraphobic.

We really prefer the glass balconies like on the Mariner, Navigator & Jewel (Radiance Class) and on Princess. Recently on the Jewel we had a great all glass balcony, and they do clean them occassionally, so it was not that bad to look thru.

But I recently noticed that the Mariner and Navigator DO NOT have a kids Adventure Beach area (kids pool / slide). (our kids are 6 & 3 and LOVED the slide on the Jewel!!)

Do all of the balconies on Voyager (and also if at all on Adventure or Explorer) have the partially glass balconies like in Langley's photo? Are any of them "all metal" with the metal part coming all of the way up because I would NOT want that! Can you direct me to any really good photos of the ship that would help me figure this out? I know that there are tons of photos everywhere of the ships, but if you know of a few that are better for looking at balconies, I'd appreciate it.

I'm mainly interested in D1 or JS categories. Thanks much!!!

We were on the Explorer June 16th cruise. Yes the Deck has metal bars. I honestly don't know what the big deal is about the metal. You will have plenty of light coming in and you will be standing normally by the rail looking at the sea or whatever. The plexiglass is not clear, so you would not be getting a clear view through it. My DH and I were as happy as can be. If you have Mike or Louis as room stewarts, you will be happy with them and the room.

• 2 weeks later...

Karen

Thanx for the photo! I guess I was imagining that the metal was about 3 & 1/2 feet high & I'm only 5'1" so when I sit, I would not be able to see out. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks again to all who responded with good wishes, photos, etc - can't wait to go!

Hi Charmedone619,

As you can see in the pics in this thread, the furniture on the balconies is that sort of plastic strips on the chairs, and small round tables. We did not have loungers - there simply wasn't room (we had an E2 room). However, I have read on these boards that the suites have lounge chairs.

Notice the difference between the balcony dividers on the same ship, Explorer - ours had a metal partition (you can see it behind my husband) and in the second pic, it appears that wishtdream's balcony has a plexiglass partition.

~Karen

Hi Antmintj,

This is Karen's DH and thought I should clarify something that she does not know. All deck six balconies are metal only. Deck seven and up have the half glass. I don't know why this is but when I was originally booking our cruise I found that out. Should still be no problem seeing out as everything I've ever read says so; you only loose a little bit of that open felling from inside the room.

Don't worry, you will have a great time. This ship is so overwhelming that you probably won't even remember that this was a concern, happened to me with a bunch of things. Got home and thought " Oh yeah, forgot to look at that".

It truely is the nicest ship we have ever been on, so much so that we have booked Liberty of the Seas with our kids next year.

Have a great cruise,

Perry

^ ^ Well look at that! I did not know. My husband planned this entire trip for us and it was absolutely amazing... he did all the research and all the booking. That's why I had such a good time - it was completely hassle-free because all I had to do was to show up on the day we left! ha!

Obviously, I was misinformed about some of the balconies and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. :o

~Karen

One of our party had a balcony room on deck 6.

The view is still spectacular.

Honestly, when we had a balcony on deck 10 on voyager I just don't remember it being that much better of a view than what our friends had on Explorer.

Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

We had a deck 6 balcony cabin on AOS last January and can't remember if if was 1/2 metal or not. The view was spectacular. There is nothing like awakenig in the morning and having coffee and fruit while the ship is gliding through the water. Enjoy you're cruise. You'll have a wonderful time. BTW have room service bring you coffee/fruit/pastries first thing in the morning. Makes my day:)

Archived