Some help and answers from a Barceloner

We have a group of 18 who will be in Barcelona on October 4. We would like to all go out for Tapas. Would Cal Pep be able to acommidate us? I have heard good hings about it. If so, I will contact him by phone.

Hi BCNlady, thank you for all the info you have been providing us. They are very usefull. We will be in Barcelona for one day prior to our cruise in September. We read on another tread about a restaurant called Tablao Cordobes with Flamenco shows. Do you recommend that restaurant ? thank you for your answer.:)

Sorry but I don't know anithing about this one. There's not many places to see flamenco in Barcelona.

We will be visiting Barcelona for our 3rd time in a couple of weeks and, having seen several of the main sights, would like to go to the Montjuic area to see the Olympic stadium and the fountains. Is this easy get to from the Port Vell area? I vaguely remember seeing a cable car operating in this area when we last visited.

Thanks for any help - we are very much looking forward to returning to your lovely home city.

You have de cable train (funicular) from the metro station Paral.lel.

To go to the fountains take the line 3 (green) to Plaça Espanya. They are playing a new show right now.

You have a good museum in the top of the hill (MNAC) with a fantastic collection on romanic and gothic paintings and sculpture.

Going down to Plaça Espanya you find the Pueblo Español a reproduction of the most significative buildings all over Spain with handmade craftwork worshops.

have a nice stay in BCN.

We have a group of 18 who will be in Barcelona on October 4. We would like to all go out for Tapas. Would Cal Pep be able to acommidate us? I have heard good hings about it. If so, I will contact him by phone.

This is a hit.

I think there will be ronn enough in the inside tables. You should telephone as you are a big group. Let them to suggest what to have.

Bea

Hello,

You have given some valuable information here. We will be staying at the old Ritz (The Hotel Palace) in Eixemple. Can you recommend some restaurants and some tapas bars nearby? Also, can you recommend a tour guide to take us to Monserrat for one morning and a walking tour of Gaudi that afternoon? Thanks.

Hello,

You have given some valuable information here. We will be staying at the old Ritz (The Hotel Palace) in Eixemple. Can you recommend some restaurants and some tapas bars nearby? Also, can you recommend a tour guide to take us to Monserrat for one morning and a walking tour of Gaudi that afternoon? Thanks.

You can easily go to Montserrat by train. You have to take a FGC company R5 train to Monistrol and then change to a "cremallera train" (a kind of cable train) with spectacular views. The ride will be about 1:15 min and you can ask for a combined ticket called "Transmontserrat". You won't need a guide, you only have to visit the Basilica and the black Virgin. If they aren't on tour you can hear the boys choir (escolania) at noon. Buy and eat the fresh cheese with honey sold on the street, delicious...

For guided tours in Barcelona I've read about pepitotours.comm on this boards.

ood stay

Bea

• 2 weeks later...

Bea, I would like to thank you again for all your invaluable information. It was a pleasure meeting you and your beautiful family. The best meal we had in Barcelona was at Cal Pep.We ate up front at the bar, but they have a small charming room in the back which might accommondate a group. It would be a great place for a precruise cc dinner. They are closed for the month of August. Thanks again.

Bonnie, Steve, and Alex

Bea,

I love all the information you are providing and also want to thank you for your help!

Of course I also have a question for you:) Are you familiar with either the Hotel Constanza or the Fashion Hotel? If you are, any thoughts or opinions would be welcome.

Thanks again,

Liz

We are staying at the Jardi in Placa del Pi x Placa Sant Josep Orio in October. Our flight (non-stop from US) arrives at 7:45 in the morning. We are used to traveling on our own and I have been studying the maps of BCN until I have the Barri Gothic pretty well memorized. Since our hotel is in a pedestrian zone even if we take a taxi we have to walk in, so we were going to take the bus from the airport. Usually when we travel to Europe we pack only carry-ons but this is a cruise so we will have luggage. One large rolling suitcase, one rolling garment bag, one rolling smaller carry-on size suitcase and one carry-on backpack.

Its hard not to look like a tourist when you have all that stuff!!! Do you think the areo-bus is a good option? Looking at the map from Placa de Cataluna we could either walk down Del Portal de L'Angel and then wind over to the Jardi--or walk down the Rambles to Cardinal Casaras (?) and walk in about two blocks directly to the square.

Which would be the more reasonable and safer option. I'm used to cities and am somewhat street smart, but again--dragging all the luggage is my only concern.

We plan to take a taxi from the hotel to the ship.

Thank you for your advice.

Thank you for all the information for those of us travelling to your city. There is a group of 22 of us planning to meet on the eve of our cruise in September and have dinner at a restaurant call La Villa, which a previous cruiser recommended as very good. I know that you tell us not to eat or drink on Las Ramblas, but do you know this place? It is down a small alley adjacent to The Meridian Hotel off of Las Ramblas.

Snowbird

Barcelona Lady,

The Clarion Hotel Pulitzer is located at Bergara 8.

Your suggestions for nice places near here to eat.

We plan to do the HOHO bus 1 day. We would like to do Montserrat - but that may be too much for us.

I have copies of the directions to Santa Maria del Mar Church. Is this near where we are located.

Thank you.

I have copies of many of your answers and suggestions.:)

Barcelona Lady,

The Clarion Hotel Pulitzer is located at Bergara 8.

Your suggestions for nice places near here to eat.

We plan to do the HOHO bus 1 day. We would like to do Montserrat - but that may be too much for us.

I have copies of the directions to Santa Maria del Mar Church. Is this near where we are located.

Thank you.

I have copies of many of your answers and suggestions.:)

You can easily go to Montserrat by train. You have to take a FGC company R5 train to Monistrol and then change to a "cremallera train" (a kind of cable train) with spectacular views. The ride will be about 1:15 min and you can ask for a combined ticket called "Transmontserrat". You won't need a guide, you only have to visit the Basilica and the black Virgin. If they aren't on tour you can hear the boys choir (escolania) at noon. Buy and eat the fresh cheese with honey sold on the street, delicious...

The sight is really special, it depends on your interests and on weather too. november can be wonderful or rainy.

Bea

BCNlady

any info on hotel toledano-capital. location seems good, but concerned about no a/c in rooms and noise. we would have a back room. the price seems too good to be true. thanks for all your great advice

BCNlady

any info on hotel toledano-capital. location seems good, but concerned about no a/c in rooms and noise. we would have a back room. the price seems too good to be true. thanks for all your great advice

It looks quite simple but can work. It's on the top of the Ramblas, well placed for everithing. I've found a web:

http://www.hoteltoledano.com

There are some pictures in it.

Bea

It looks quite simple but can work. It's on the top of the Ramblas, well placed for everithing. I've found a web:

http://www.hoteltoledano.com

There are some pictures in it.

Bea

Thanks for all of your information and quick responses. Do you think no a/c in Oct will be a problem for us. Looks like average temperature in Oct is only 70 degrees farenheit. Do you think the noise level in a hotel on Las Ramblas is very loud, even in a back room.

I have cut and pasted all of your other information so we can carry it with us.

Your English is very good----much better than my Spanish.

Do you think no a/c in Oct will be a problem for us. Do you think the noise level in a hotel on Las Ramblas is very loud, even in a back room.

Temperature by night will be 10-12ºC you will be able to sleep closed windows, so no problems for a/c or noise.

Hope you enjoy

Bea

Hi Bea,

Is this hotel far from tourist sites or not near subway or bus stops.

We were thinking of staying here November 24 and 25 at a super low nightly rate.

The other area we were going to use is Hotel Continental Barcelona in Ramblas @ 85 euros/night.

We have been to Barcelona before but not for overnight.

Michael

Hi Bea,

Is this hotel far from tourist sites or not near subway or bus stops.

We were thinking of staying here November 24 and 25 at a super low nightly rate.

The other area we were going to use is Hotel Continental Barcelona in Ramblas @ 85 euros/night.

We have been to Barcelona before but not for overnight.

Michael

Diagonal Mar is a new quarter near the sea shore. You will find shopping centers. You have a good link with center with tramway or bus. The other one is completely

different, old fashioned, not very well kept in the middle of las Ramblas. If you like the Ramblas I would rather reccomend Le Meridien or 1898.

Bea

Bea, (or any other experienced travelers)

i have a barcelona qustion for you. we will be sailing into barcelona on the brilliance of the seas, then checking in to the hotel majestic. we want to go visit the Montserrat after checking in. what is the easiest way to get there from the hotel ? i have read that there is a cable car available ? also is there a small amusement park on the top of the mountain ? thansk so much for al your barcelona tips you have given on this board already...

NJTOM

Archived