Some help and answers from a Barceloner

Bea, thanks for refreshing my mind about the castillian dishes....I know they are not specialities of the cataluna area.....senior moment... Thanks also for all the work and reccomendations. Definitly will use your guide when we arrive. Gracias, Ada

Thank you for all your useful information. I have a question.... are there any hotels in walking distance from the port for the Jewel. We need a hotel when we get off the ship since our flight is not until 3:30 a.m. the next day. We will be spending three days in Barcelona prior to the cruise so siteseeing will not be a major event for our last day. We simply need a hotel to place our suitcases and a time to rest before we leave for the airport in the middle of the night. Perhaps have a nice dinner before we leave. Thanks!

Thanks you for all your restaurant reviews. I have been told that Ciudad Condal is a great tapas bar, do you agree? We will be staying at the new Renasissance at the Airport and will probably need to go into the heart of Barcelona to dine and shop. How great of you to help all of us with our Barcelona plans. Shirley

Hi-

My sons would like to go to the Barcelona Zoo to see Snowflake the white gorilla. Is the zoo fun and worth seeing? Is it far from port?

Thanks-

I'm very sorry but "Copito de Nieve" died 2 years ago....

I think the zoo is in decadence, in fact there's a long time I haven't brought my children there.

It's not far from the port. You have a Metro stop (yelow line).

Bea

Thanks you for all your restaurant reviews. I have been told that Ciudad Condal is a great tapas bar' date=' do you agree? We will be staying at the new Renasissance at the Airport and will probably need to go into the heart of Barcelona to dine and shop. How great of you to help all of us with our Barcelona plans. Shirley[/color']

Sorry but I don't nothing about this one.

In fact Barcelona has no tradition on tapas. There's not a special street or quarter for tapas as in other places in Spain. But once again never at the Ramblas!!!

Bea

Hi thanks for all your information. I noted from the Barcelona Tourist Board that the weekend of 23-25th September is the festival of your patron Saint.

I haven't booked a hotel to date for the Century cruise departing on the 25th. I will be in Barcelona on the 24th and I am now concerned that I should book the hotel to avoid any problem with availibility.

I have been looking at the Cordes de Barcelona and the slightly more expensive Clarion hotel Pulitzer. I think that the Cordes may be a slightly better location. Is this correct?

I have not read all the post yet but you have given me a wealth of information to consider.

Many thanks and your english is fantastic!

Sue

Hi thanks for all your information. I noted from the Barcelona Tourist Board that the weekend of 23-25th September is the festival of your patron Saint.

I haven't booked a hotel to date for the Century cruise departing on the 25th. I will be in Barcelona on the 24th and I am now concerned that I should book the hotel to avoid any problem with availibility.

I have been looking at the Cordes de Barcelona and the slightly more expensive Clarion hotel Pulitzer. I think that the Cordes may be a slightly better location. Is this correct?

I have not read all the post yet but you have given me a wealth of information to consider.

Many thanks and your english is fantastic!

Sue

I supose you're talking about Hotel Condes de Barcelona at Rambla de Catalunya (not las Ramblas) wich is in a very good location. I think Martin Berasategui one of the best Basq chefs of the moment has just openned his restaurant over there.

I haven't been able to find a Clarion hotel in Barcelona, are you sure it was the name?

You won't find special difficulties on booking for Spt 24th. The main difficulties come up when there are congresses or fairs standing.

Bea

BCNlady, thanks very much for sharing all the information regarding Barcelona with us. I saw your previous post regarding the Barcelona zoo. We also were planning to take our 2 year old son to the zoo (since here in Malta we don't have any) when visiting Barcelona on a cruise next year. Could you suggest somewhere else (parks etc...) where we can take him since you said you don't suggest the zoo too much?

Sorry to hear that the zoo is not a big hit, I had also planned to check it out. Is the aquarium a better idea???

Thanks for the info in the chocolate musem, I just sent them an e-mail. I hope that they do tallers for niños on Sundays....

Well, I've been talking to my children and they say the Zoo is a worth seeing.

My oldest (13) went with school this year.

Anyway the visit will be longer whole morning) than the Aquarium 2 hours).

Here you have links, they have English version.

Talking with my sons we realised I'd forgot the best of all! Cosmocaixa, is a science museum for all ages. Its on the top of town, near Tibidabo.

I give you site even if I couldn't find an English version:

then you go to "centros" and to "cosmocaixa Barcelona"

My excursion in Rome will not be prepared as yours... But I love doing it.

Bea

We will be having a large group from our pre cruise group of 30-35 can you recommend a restaurant for large groups reasonable prices..and take reservations , we have heard of La Villa next to Hotel Lolret...please thank you

Gracias Bea! What wonderful information! I'll be in Barcelona for 3 days post cruise with my 20 yr old niece. We are staying at the Hotel Omm. Can you give me any info on it (good location, restaurant good, etc)? Also, any ideas on nightlife? Clubs that play good local music, etc?

Thank you again!!:)

Gracias Bea! What wonderful information! I'll be in Barcelona for 3 days post cruise with my 20 yr old niece. We are staying at the Hotel Omm. Can you give me any info on it (good location, restaurant good, etc)? Also, any ideas on nightlife? Clubs that play good local music, etc?

Thank you again!!:)

Omm hotel is very well placed up the Paseo de Gracia.

It's very modern and minimalist.

Very modern and known restautant.

Don't miss Vinçon one of the best stores in Barcelona for housing.

High design, quality and originality guaranted.

For nightlife you can try the Olimpic port, but remember night life in Spain don't begin before midnight!!

Bea

Question - would a person who is a wheel chair user be better staying on the Rambles or at the Atrium Palace hotel north of Plaza Cataluna? Not ever been in Barcelona, so don't know the lay of the land for someone in a chair. Would we have trouble navagating the streets - we love to be near the action, or at least "walking" distance. What do you recommend.

DH, his WC, and I stayed at the Atrium Palace in May and it was a great location. The room was small, but the bathrooms were large, both of them. We were a couple of blocks from all the action. Placa Catalunya was great for the HOHO bus, the department store, and cafes. North from the Placa were wonderful restaurants for tapas. The Ramblas was accessible, but remember that it is a hill.We loved the location of the hotel, but hated the small double bed.

The sidewalks and curb cuts were easy to use. You have to be quick because there is a lot of traffic, but the lights give you plenty of time to cross the street with a WC.

Pushing him gave me a good workout. I think I lost the weight that I gained on the TA cruise.

Thanks Willig for responding. I didn't know the Ramblas was hilly. I'm a small lady and have limitied ability to push a wc up hills. Is that what I can expect? Did u use the HOHO bus with the chair? was it easy or a hastle? We're adventurous folks with a sense of humor, so usually any experience is managable. I just like to know in advance what we might be expecting.

We will be visiting Barcelona for our 3rd time in a couple of weeks and, having seen several of the main sights, would like to go to the Montjuic area to see the Olympic stadium and the fountains. Is this easy get to from the Port Vell area? I vaguely remember seeing a cable car operating in this area when we last visited.

Thanks for any help - we are very much looking forward to returning to your lovely home city.

Thank you so much for such wonderful information. We arrive in Barcelona on Sunday morning, August 6th. We would like to find someone who could pick us up at the airport, give us a tour of Barcelona and then deliver us to the pier for our cruise around 4:00 pm. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your great information. We are ending our cruise in BCN on November 24 and are considering staying at the the above hotel 2 nights because of its location and reasonable price. Would you have any thoughts or opinions. We wont spend too much time in the room.

Muchas gracias.

I know this is a bit off topic, however we are looking for a privateguide/driver to take us from malaga port to the Alhambra andin Vigo from the port to Santiago de Compostela. I have searched the boards to no avail, everyone is either VERY expensive or cannot accomodate us. We are two couples.If you have any information..it would be greatly appreciated.

Karen

The HOHO bus is Barcelona is great for a WH. When the bus arrives just signal the driver or attendant that you have a WH and they will lower a ramp to roll onto the bus. There is an area to "park" the WC. Use the seat belt because there will be some sharp turns. Buy the 2 days pass which has some coupons and really good city information. We rode in the late afternoon when the crowds were less. After our tour we rolled up the Passig De Gracia for tapas on the sidewalk. The waiters will move chairs and tables to make it easy for you.

El Cortes Ingles has good elevators to the right when you enter off the Placa Catalunya. The floor contents are written in several languages.

I am strong, but I had some trouble pushing the WH down the Portal d Angel, but make it OK on the Ramblas. Some walking areas are on a slope so stick to the middle. Don't miss the Ramblas. The "statues" are worth the effort. We did not buy anything or get anything to eat there, but went north of the Placa de Catalunya.

You will love Barcelona. Take your time and rest. Sitting in the cafes with coffee or a glass of wine will help you make the most of your trip.

Have fun

Hi BCNlady, thank you for all the info you have been providing us. They are very usefull. We will be in Barcelona for one day prior to our cruise in September. We read on another tread about a restaurant called Tablao Cordobes with Flamenco shows. Do you recommend that restaurant ? thank you for your answer.:)

Willieg, thanks for the information. I booked the Atrium Palace HC room, and now I know what to expect. The information on these boards makes our travels so much easier just knowing what to expect. At first I wanted to stay on the Rambles, but after reading many posts I decided to go with the suggestions from others who use a chair. Now I can relax and get ready for our two trips before the grand cruise. Again, thanks for your postings.:D :D

Archived