Princess Bar Hop

dresch25

Could someone tell me what is a Princess Bar Hop?

The bar hop is where you get a card from a bartender and have to purchase an alcoholic beverage from each bar on the card and have it stamped. Once the card is complete hand it to a bartender and on our last cruise the drawing was done on the last day at sea. We had 6 in our group and we all won t-shirts that said " I completed the Princess Bar Hop" and we won the grand prize a bottle of champagne. We had such a good time it's a shame they don't do it anymore.

Ok confession time: I did this on Grand Princess in the spring of '05.

I think there were 13 bars. (You could look at the deck plans and find out.) You visit each throughout the cruise, not necessarily in one day. When you have all the stamps or initials, you hand it in at any bar and they go get you a Princess bar hop t-shirt. There was no mention of a drawing, and I'm pretty sure my name wasn't on the card even; they just exchanged a t-shirt for the card.

Some of the staff were friendly about it, while others seemed out of sorts at having to bother with it.

Overall, though, it was a fun way to see more of the ship than I usually do, but a very expensive "cheap" t-shirt! And of course not the healthiest activity, calorie-wise.

On my next cruise, on RC's Rhapsody of the Seas, I earned a Shipshape t-shirt instead, for working out, walking miles, and going to fitness classes. Hoped that was sufficient penance for "earning" the barhop t-shirt! :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if Princess had discontinued that program, given the recent problems on other lines with over-consumption of alcohol. Will be sailing Grand Princess again in December, and will check it out. (But won't do the bar hop again, if available ... BTDT, got the t-shirt, etc. as they say.)

Jan

Cruising Jake -

bar hop on the Grand in April 2003.

I remember that..They use to announce it at the beginning of the cruise and in the patter.... Being my first Princess cruise I was busy with everything else...

Were you on the 4/03 cruise, Easter break?

There were 15 bars on the Golden, Caribbean & the Grand that needed to be stamped for completion. There are only 12 required for the Sapphire. Needless to say, I have a modest collection of T-shirts, hats and drink cups that get substantial use.

One of the tricks for bar-hopping is to hit some of the out of the way places that you normally wouldn't go to more than once. You only get one stamp for each location.

Even though I am not really a drinker, I would have done this on the Sapphire last month had I known about it. Someone had a thread about it right when I came back (of course). He had just done it on the Sapphire and automatically got a t-shirt that said "I survived the Princess bar hop" when completed.

We just completed our cruise on the Sea Princess and spoke with some of the bartenders about this. Since we had done this previously on other ships.

Unfortunately ---- Princess has discontinued the " bar hopping" program.

Too bad because it was fun ---we too had won one the bottle of champagne and enjoyed it with our dinner-mates.

I did the bar hop on the Sapphire last September and at the end I received a t-shirt, but it had nothing to do with Princess or the bar hop. It was a cheap promo t-shirt that had a Miller Lite logo on it. I was quite disappointed. Yes, it was a way to check out all the bars, but it would have been nice to have something "Princess" on the shirt.

We did this on some previous cruises. We shared the stamps. In March we asked on the Tahitian Princess, and were told that Princess no longer does that. Then we asked again on the Diamond in May, and they said that Princess no longer does it. It was a promo sponsored by Corona, I think; the beer company paid for the shirts, not Princess, but you didn't have to buy Corona to get a stamp on the card.

However, in Alaska they have an Alaskan Brewing Company promo going now; get a card and so many stamps and then send it to the brewing company and you'll get an Alaska Brewing Company cap in the mail. There were four of us, and we filled up two cards. So far one cap has arrived. But they only stamped it for Alaska Beer purchases (they have several types of it onboard).

They told us that the promo is going on fleet-wide, but I don't know if that's true or only on Alaska cruises.

Charlotte

We did the bar hop on the Regal a couple of years ago. It was really fun. We were disappointed though at the completion to discover they were all out of shirts in our size. It was still fun though. And who says they are trying to curb alcohol consumption? Thats a laugh.

I like the bar hop promotion and think it is a good opportunity for Princess to get people to explore the ship. However it goes back and forth, about 5 years ago on the Grand they just gave out stuff that the local beer distributor had like Heinican beer coozies etc, where as a couple of years ago on the Coral they gave out Princess branded stuff.

Also it encourages guest interaction, when you are at a bar and see another card you will strike up a conversation with the holder. Fun way to meet people.

We always have done the Bar Hopper program on our 6 previous cruises. On the coral in may we were told that princess has stopped this progam. Damn it! It was a fun way to get a T-Shirt or Hat. Iwill try on the Dawn in Sept.

Crickertdog

Archived