Seeing A Cruise Ship Is A Killer!!

Saw the Carnival Victory in Halifax, Nova Scotia yesterday. I was at the pier on the Halifax waterfront and the cruise ship had just come in. People were coming from the terminal and I was so envious. I found a quiet spot on the warf and just sat there, looking at the enormity of the ship and dreaming of my cruise in March on the Navigator, which I know from experience, is much bigger.

Gosh, how do people that live in Florida, New York and other departure ports stand seeing those ships day after day? I wanted so badly to sneak on. I can't stand the wait and it made it that much worse seeing this wonderful cruise ship right there infront of me. So close but yet so far.

I know, my day will come. The dream continues...........:)

Over the Edge, great to hear from someone in Halifax. I was on the Carnival Victory in Halifax about two years ago. Had an incredible time in Halifax. We had a fantastic local tour guide named Jonathan show us around. As with most tourists we loved Peggy's Cove.

I know the feeling. I work in Boston and I can see the top of the cruise ships when they are in port. I swear they are calling me to come aboard!

Me, too. Next time I have my face pressed against the glass oogling the ships, I'll keep an eye out for you.

besides the huge vessels coming to deliver goods on the Cuyahoga River off Lake Erie in Cleveland. Then a Russian cruise ship docked here to see the Rock Hall & eat at the Hard Rock Cafe. It looked like a lifeboat on Freedom........ We are to have Lake Erie Cruiseline, but never comes to Cleveland. Last week I thought Johnny Depp arrived with all the pirate ships for the Tall Ships Festival touring the Great Lakes.

I live in Miami and we see the cruise ships all the time. I was there on the Maiden Arrival of the Voyager, Freedom, and even the Sovereign in Miami.

My family and I will go over the bridge to the port and "practice" driving up to the port terminals and look at all those lucky people. Now for me, the best part is I drive 10 minutes from my house, go over that bridge with a huge smile on my face, park the car, check in at the priority check in counter, and then I AM ON THE SHIP!!

I don't think I can wait to get on my next cruise. I am going to be so excited come November!!

I read the original post with a smile, because I thought I was the only one who felt like this. I love to see ships in ports, but I hate the fact that "I don't belong" or that it is not "my ship". I think it is a lovely feeling to be associated with a docked ship --- I just love returning to the ship at the end of a day ashore knowing that a great evening await. Roll on March 2007

I experienced this a few weeks ago. I just happened to be passing the pier in Philadelphia at the right time and saw the Empress. It was very depressing not being able to jump on. I live outside of Philly, but this was the first time I've seen one of the big cruise shipped docked.

Living in Orlando, we often travel over to Port Canaveral to visit the beach on weekends. Of course you have the Disney ships, the Mariner, Sovereign, and other various vessels that call PC home. I find it hard to look over at them without becoming too depressed :(

I know, I am crazy. But I think we all are ;)

I always see ships going out under the Sunshine Skyway here from the Port of Tampa. WITHOUT ME!

::Sigh::

I think the only thing worse would be to see them going out day-after-day under the Golden Gate...

...again without me. :(

I live as far away as it's possible to be from the sea in the UK - about 2 and a half hour's drive to Southampton or Harwich would be my nearest ports - sometimes I don't even see the sea for a year.

It got me thinking - what's the furthest anyone is from the nearest departure port?

Jane

x

Last week I thought Johnny Depp arrived with all the pirate ships for the Tall Ships Festival touring the Great Lakes.

That pirate ship in Johnny Depps movie was built at a shipyard in Bayou La Batre, AL about 5 miles from my house. (Yeah, Bayou La Batre is where Forrest Gump had his shrimp factory and it is a real town.) My kids used to drive down to the ship yard and sneak under the fence to take pictures of the pirate ship. It sailed out of town a few weeks before Katrina hit and wiped out the town and darn near destroyed the ship yard. Talk about perfect timing or we'd still be waiting to see the movie. :)

ya, i live down here in Miami and on my way to work on the highway u can kinda see the top of the ships. and sometimes i may work on Saturdays and when passing over the highway and seeing the navigator is just depressing.(haha thank god freedom only comes in on sundays so i dont gotta see it and think of the flowrider) but u just wanna go right now but u know that u gotta wait and that SUCKS!!

I've sat in the park and watched the ships in Bar Harbor (Maine) - then wandered around town watching all the people....its so much fun --- but I wish that I could get on the ship as it sails away. (I've been waiting for our cruise for the past 13 months and now only have 13 weeks left). Jan

We have our fun here on the Texas Gulf of Mexico..

We live about 20 min from the port...And have to go by the pier anytime we are in Galveston...Once a month or so,we will go down on a Sunday and walk the Strand...and eat at one of the restaurants close to the water,and watch them sail...And the Dolphins playing...And just being green with envy every time...We have a condo we rent once a year,on the East end of the Island that is very close to where they come out of the channel into the gulf...Love to sit on the balcony and watch..

Its also a lot of fun to be out on a sailboat...or fishing near pelican Island when they come through...

Oh well...I guess if I cruised as much as I really wanted to...It would not seem as special :( :rolleyes: :D

I know what you are all talking about.:( I like to go to Seattle on the weekends to look at the ships. It is very depressing not to be on one. Whats even worse is when you go on a ship tour and then have to get off. My daughter and I were trying to figure out how we could stowaway a couple of weeks ago on the Mercury.:rolleyes: We will be going again this time on the Vision in two weeks. I know its not like getting to go on a cruise but at least it gets me on a ship for 4+ hours once a month during the summer months.:D

Carrie

Hey Everyone, I am so so so happy to hear that I was not the only one that got a bit down in the mouth and a bit green with envy when I saw the cruise ship yesterday in the Halifax Harbour. I did wonder if people actually knew what I was doing, sitting there staring at a ship and eavesdropping on conversations, what they would have thought of me.:eek:

It was interesting though, to hear one say to another, "what time are you going back to the ship?", or, "which way to the ship?" I did find myself wondering where they would head to supper when they returned or if maybe they would go for a swim.

What makes us so mesmerized by the whole thing? I really think its time that someone did a serious study on this addiction! I wish I had the time and the money to do the research. I find it all so fascinating! :)

I still have my "ocean front property" in Yuma Arizona. As soon as California drops off into the ocean, we will build a "real" cruise port here on the left coast! I can't wait to see all the ships while sitting on my veranda here in AZ. ...... CALIFORNIA! STOP WASTING TIME....FALL OFF, DANG IT!:p

Well I am no where near an ocean, so I am not having to look at the ships constantly and be sad. BUT that means total withdrawl in between. Of course I can always go down to the Missisip and watch the river boats but that's not the same!

I still have my "ocean front property" in Yuma Arizona. As soon as California drops off into the ocean, CALIFORNIA! STOP WASTING TIME....FALL OFF, DANG IT!:p

You would like my 9th grade geography map project showing Las Vegas Beach and Reno by the Sea. I didn't even think about Port Yuma at the time. :)

Sometimes when I pick up my significant other from work at lower manhattan, we go to the pier in the west village when we know there is a ship departing from the NYC. We will wait until they pass right in front of us and wave at the lucky passengers as they cruise down the Hudson river on their way to the Verazzano Bridge and out to the open sea. It is nice to see all the happy passengers wave back all excited as they start their vacation.

Boy do we get jealous.

Archived