Seeing A Cruise Ship Is A Killer!!

We live in New York City and our first cruise was on the Victory three years ago. I remember how blown away I was when I first saw her at the pier. What a sight. We've been hooked on cruising ever since.

I live close enough to the Chesapeake Bay that I can take a little walk and I'm able to see the Grandeur of the Seas heading out. I feel somewhat like a stalker as I figure out her schedule so that I can look for her on departure days :) We've actually been out on our boat and had her pass us by - now that is FUN!!:D Each and every time I see her, I'm green with envy!

My brother lives in Halifax and was telling me about the "big ship" in the harbour ( he has never been on a cruise!) he was giving me details about the ship over the long distance phone lines and I was so jealous that he could see it and I couldn't! :(

Best memory for me : Seeing the Radiance of the Seas for the very first time ( actually seeing a cruise ship for the very first time!) it was an overwhelming feeling to see it waiting for me ( and 2000 others!) at the Port of Miami for our very first cruise......:)

Hi Ckrobyn, I know exactly what you mean. On our first cruise on the Carnival Sensation, I remember looking up and up and up and not being able to see the top of the ship. It was such a thrill. I can't wait to feel that again on the Navigator. My DH is working on the Halifax waterfront but isn't really interested in looking at the ships each day. What a fool he is!!!! :rolleyes: If I was working there, either I wouldn't get any work done, or I'd mysteriously disappear. I wonder where I'd be??? ;)

I still have my "ocean front property" in Yuma Arizona. As soon as California drops off into the ocean, we will build a "real" cruise port here on the left coast! I can't wait to see all the ships while sitting on my veranda here in AZ. ...... CALIFORNIA! STOP WASTING TIME....FALL OFF, DANG IT!:p

I grew up in Tucson, and I still remember the weatherman during the summer weather in Yuma saying "And on the sandy beach in Yuma!"

All of us in Tucson were also waiting fo CA to drop off:eek: . Otherwise our closest beach was Rocky Point in Mexico!

When I need a cruise ship fix, our closest is an hour and 10 minutes to the Grandeur on Fridays or Sundays in Baltimore.

Take Care,

Jaime

Now I don't feel so bad about what I did......... DH and I were in Key West in May and I made him leave Sloppy Joe's @ 12:30 a.m. (we were having a great time!) to go to the pier and watch the RCCL ship pull away. How wonderful it was and how I wanted to be on it! We had just been on Mariner a month before, so I was having cruise withdrawal bad!:eek: We stayed at the Hilton in Key West and every morning when I woke up, there were one or two ships docked right there at the hotel. I was in heaven!!!!

We only live 45 minutes from Port Canaveral, but have only been up there once to watch Mariner sail away (my niece and her family were on the ship) 'cause it is just too sad to watch it go without me!! At least in Key West, I was on vacation too!

Now I don't feel so bad about what I did......... DH and I were in Key West in May and I made him leave Sloppy Joe's @ 12:30 a.m. (we were having a great time!) to go to the pier and watch the RCCL ship pull away. How wonderful it was and how I wanted to be on it! We had just been on Mariner a month before, so I was having cruise withdrawal bad!:eek: We stayed at the Hilton in Key West and every morning when I woke up, there were one or two ships docked right there at the hotel. I was in heaven!!!!

We only live 45 minutes from Port Canaveral, but have only been up there once to watch Mariner sail away (my niece and her family were on the ship) 'cause it is just too sad to watch it go without me!! At least in Key West, I was on vacation too!

I know exactly how you feel!!!

Saw the Carnival Victory in Halifax, Nova Scotia yesterday. I was at the pier on the Halifax waterfront and the cruise ship had just come in. People were coming from the terminal and I was so envious. I found a quiet spot on the warf and just sat there, looking at the enormity of the ship and dreaming of my cruise in March on the Navigator, which I know from experience, is much bigger.

Gosh, how do people that live in Florida, New York and other departure ports stand seeing those ships day after day? I wanted so badly to sneak on. I can't stand the wait and it made it that much worse seeing this wonderful cruise ship right there infront of me. So close but yet so far.

I know, my day will come. The dream continues...........:)

I know exactly how you feel. I live in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, which is home to about a half dozen cruise ships doing either the Hawaii or Alaska itineraries. I was down at Port Vancouver last weekend for the first time when they were in and saw four of them docked -- Norwegian Wind, Celebrity Infinity, Veendam and Serenade of the Seas.

Just like you, I was very envious of the people boarding as I had gone on my first cruise about two months ago.

I then drove to the entrance of Burrard Inlet and found a good spot to watch all four ships sail under the Lions Gate Bridge on their way out to sea. It was great to see all the people on board during the sailaway.

When I got home, I started checking for cruise deals in 2007. :D

Seeing as I live in Toronto and don't have much view of cruise ships, unless I'm actually flying to get on one, I get a thrill catching sight of one in the opening credits of CSI Miami.:D

I know how you feel. When I was a kid, we would drive past the airport and I would wonder where all of those people were going. I would think that someday, when I was an adult and I got to decide, I would just make an impromptu decision to pull into the airport and hop on a plane anytime I felt like it.

(I wasn't counting on this thing called a job.)

Now I feel the same way about cruise ships. I saw a Celebrity Cruise ship @ Bayonne this morning from Liberty State Park in Jersey City, NJ. My boyfriend and I often joke, "I wonder if they have any cabins available..."

Hi Ckrobyn, I know exactly what you mean. On our first cruise on the Carnival Sensation, I remember looking up and up and up and not being able to see the top of the ship. It was such a thrill. I can't wait to feel that again on the Navigator. My DH is working on the Halifax waterfront but isn't really interested in looking at the ships each day. What a fool he is!!!! :rolleyes: If I was working there, either I wouldn't get any work done, or I'd mysteriously disappear. I wonder where I'd be??? ;)

I envy you living in Halifax. Love that waterfront area, and sitting watching all the ships in and out. Bluffers' Park on Lake Ontario just doesn't quite make it.......Halifax or Victoria, I wish (sigh). :rolleyes: This week when DS #4 called to say there was a huge ship in Victoria (he lives across the street on Dallas Rd.) with a rock climbing wall and the two crowns and anchor logo, I was drooling over the phone. I know he's seen other ships as they're pretty frequent, but since we cruised he's paying more attention I guess.

Fran in Toronto

I just got back in June from Cozumel on Carnival and I'm still adjusting to real life,, where's my steward? Where's my bunny towel on my bed at night? Blah!

It had been awhile since I'd sailed and I got the same experience at the dock in Tampa looking at the Inspiration. The sheer size of it is mind boggling and gets your juices going. I've got 3 yrs to retirement hopefully and I plan to catch up with some of the posters with 40 or more cruises under their belt,, lol..

I came home and found this site and now I'm addicted to CC as well. I think I'm lost forever? Oh well,, it's all in the dream!!

I still have my "ocean front property" in Yuma Arizona. As soon as California drops off into the ocean, we will build a "real" cruise port here on the left coast! I can't wait to see all the ships while sitting on my veranda here in AZ. ...... CALIFORNIA! STOP WASTING TIME....FALL OFF, DANG IT!:p

We too have ocean front property in Yuma and our names are Rick and Denice too. Wouldn't do for us to be too near a port, we would never stay home.

BTW, you will be cruising with Darren and Travis on the Freedom in October. Darren got so confused on the M&M thread thinking it was us. They are great guys, lots of fun. Have a great cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
When I got home, I started checking for cruise deals in 2007. :D

Dixon, there's a great cruise December 2, 2007 15 night trans-Atlantic from Barcelona to Miami, Brilliance of the Seas, with some great ports and the prices are unbelievable. We just booked on that one.....:D:D Did you find something for 2007?

My son in Victoria called a couple of days ago all excited about the "big ship" across the street - he lives right oppositge the docks in Victoria. He's only lived there a year and just now noticed???:eek: It was the rock-climbing wall which caught his eye...turned out it was Vision of the Seas. I think he's getting the bug now...

Fran in Toronto

Archived