Trip from Hell?

sbflat

I am planning a return to Sea Dream this fall. In reviewing the boards I see references to the "trip from hell" around a holiday in recent years. Can anyone provide more information about this? Thank you.

• 5 months later...

This "trip from hell" that keeps popping up in reference on this board, relates directly to a one week experience in

March of 2005!!!!!

For goodness sakes, it is now January of 2007...almost 2 years later.

The amount of potential customers for SDYC, who look at this board and then question the atmosphere on SD, is out of proportion to the trip report.

SDYC is a business, and since that week in 2005 they have been recognized by the industry with numerous accolades and awards.

I think it is irresponsible, on this board, to continue to beat a drum regarding an out of the ordinary week that occured almost 2 years ago!

I would actually like to see CC delete this thread already.

SDYC is a small cruise line with (compared to the large lines) a small group of cruiserswho follow along on CC, and this one incident seems to dominate the discussion board from time to time, with much more emphasis on the disfunctional week, than any one week deserves.

And no...I do not work for SDYC, I am just a business owner who views things from an owner perspective.

Let's stop this thread forever!

LBLBSC:

Potential cruisers ask many questions on these boards and most respondents try to be helpful. I simply referred the questioner to historical data. No new beatings of the drum. Also told him that this has been well documented. It is historical fact. It has happened more than this one time. We have, however, posted a more recent review from last April which describes a wonderful cruise and have booked another for later this year. By our actions we are certainly supportive of SeaDream but to eliminate posts you disagree with is not ok. Post your opinion but accept historical fact and move on. Revisionists are doing enough with more important history as it is.

All the best,

Jim.

This "trip from hell" that keeps popping up in reference on this board, relates directly to a one week experience in

March of 2005!!!!!

For goodness sakes, it is now January of 2007...almost 2 years later.

The amount of potential customers for SDYC, who look at this board and then question the atmosphere on SD, is out of proportion to the trip report.

SDYC is a business, and since that week in 2005 they have been recognized by the industry with numerous accolades and awards.

I think it is irresponsible, on this board, to continue to beat a drum regarding an out of the ordinary week that occured almost 2 years ago!

I would actually like to see CC delete this thread already.

SDYC is a small cruise line with (compared to the large lines) a small group of cruiserswho follow along on CC, and this one incident seems to dominate the discussion board from time to time, with much more emphasis on the disfunctional week, than any one week deserves.

And no...I do not work for SDYC, I am just a business owner who views things from an owner perspective.

Let's stop this thread forever!

I was on the "trip from" hell, along with Jim and his wife. The poster of that thread has since sailed SD again and had a wonderful time, and is looking at more SD cruises.

That particular trip was an easter break week and had a passenger population of almost 25% children. It was not a usually SD voyage and was meant as a way to say be careful when you book and avoid holiday weeks.

The information in that post is still valid and is something that people should be cognizant of when they book their voyages

Well said zqvol. I would not have thought SeaDream would attract any young families before the original post was made - school break time or not. So the information was helpful to know for booking future cruises. When my children were young and even teens, they LOVED cruising and we chose age appropriate cruise lines - Holland America, Royal Caribbean etc. I can't imagine what a child would find fun about SeaDream. But as the saying goes "different strokes for different folks." Just keep me away from the kids (and I LOVE them) on SeaDream. :-)

Found it and found its historical perspective interesting. Spouse and I are considering repositioning in 11/07 from Lisbon to Miami. We have never been on a SD ship but have seen them a couple times including alongside the WindSurf when we were leaving St. Thomas to go east across the ocean a couple years ago. As much as we love Windstar ships, we don't like the idea of a restful two weeks at sea coming to a shuddering halt upon arrival at the truly dismal and depressing St. Thomas airport (with a transfer in the nearly as awful San Juan airport). Haven't banked enough good karma to override the potential for disaster that awaits the unlucky!

So, SD seems very nice although I must say I am a bit hesitant about not having enough indoor quiet zones - I cannot take the sun and all those wonderful outdoor areas are wasted on me when it's daylight. So, if the line allows children to overwhelm their ships, escape is tough. Of course, there shouldn't be too many kids for that type trip but who knows. Having read the contract of passage, it appears SD and its senior staff have plenty of stroke when it comes to keeping things under control but the idea that the captain would swan aboard with two small children when he knows full well that the bulk of the passengers are expecting a couples only experience is more than a bit worrying.

Comments??

Jim: I am not a revisionist. But the past should stay in the past.Perhaps your comments could be re-titled: in my mind, A "trip from hell" is the titantic, or one which your husband disappears overboard. Your negative experience was an abberation, and this is a cruise line you choose to continue to patronize.

maybe it was just a cruise with "too many kids"....not quite from Hell?

If you will actually read all the posts, you will find that nowhere ever did I call it the "Trip from Hell." That astute observation came from another. I do wish I had thought of it though. Do you think it appropriate, given SeaDream's marketing, to bring children aboard?

I agree with you. I don't go on the SD to be surrounded by children. SD executives might wish to consider placing a "limit" on the number of children they allow on any particular cruise. Back to the title of the thread..... I think the comments and the thread is valid and I am not a revisionist, but I also think CC is wrong to allow it to be labeled ".........hell". I think the title of the thread exceeds the acceptable bounderies of the board; especially since it keeps popping up so often. The title makes it stand out, as you can see by the number of viewings. So, I guess it is up to CC to decide if that is really an appropriate title for a thread. I think comments of the thread should remain and the title should be changed by CC.

Archived