Alcohol smugglers take note

smeyer418

Royal Carribean's newly announced policy incudes refusing to allow the boarding of people who attempt to smuggle alcohol....wonder if it will alo apply to other cruise lines.

Interesting policy. I doubt if they start tossing off paying customers. If so, the other cruise lines will be doing a brisk business.

The have not updated their website to indicate any change. Not sure they want to do that in Jersey. After the fights the state will step in like they have in the case of the itinerary change last year. :rolleyes:

Can I bring my own liquor onboard?

We apologize for any inconvenience but due to our regulatory and licensing requirements guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your purchases.

This policy may not apply to every ship or itinerary depending on local laws, customs, or license requirements. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for fines imposed or items confiscated by local authorities.

Interesting policy. I doubt if they start tossing off paying customers. If so, the other cruise lines will be doing a brisk business.

They won't be turning away paying customers, they already have your money. They will just refuse you boarding with no refund. I'm sure they will begin to print this on their "ticket agreements." Something to the effect: "those who attempt to bring alcohol on board will be denied boarding with no refund provided."

That way, when you sign to board the ship, you are agreeing to this policy. No different than if you are thrown out of a sporting event or amusement park for bad behavior. ("line jumping is cause for removal from park with no refund given." mmmm, maybe the cruise lines ought to add this rule for disembarking and re-embarking at the ports. I could have had several Dawn passengers on my June 17 cruise removed....lol)

I personally think this is a great idea! Rules are rules and too many people think that the rules apply to everyone except them for some reason. We also have too many rules that are put in place but never enforced. An unenforced rule is a stupid rule in my book. (for example: allowing jeans or shorts in the dining room just because someone whines.)

Good for RCCL, time to petition NCL for the same rule.

Well I hate to see this happen but it will put an end to smuggling period I would think. NCL you try, you get caught, you go to the "naughty room" and you tell them to either throw you stuff out or keep it and you will claim it when you are ready to disembark. It's worth the gamble to many; if you will not be allowed to even board, that is a totally different can of beans. I knew when NCL started really cracking down, others would follow. No one should be surprised. I think Carnaval came out with something recently as well or maybe some have been caught and had the booze convescated. I am not sure which. The only thing I would add, I hope the prices of drinks don't continue to go up. If we can't drink anything unless we buy it at the bar and we have to pay BIG BUCKS our bar bills will end up being as high as our cruise itself, even for those of us who are moderate drinkers. Princess doesn't even have a before boarding cabin bar set up plan anymore. NMnita

The biggest change is to up the drinking age to 21. For those that think the only reason the cruiselines do this is for profit the RCL change is clearly a reation to leagal risk with recent events.

Many booze related situations that may result in disembarkation.

ALCOHOL POLICY

Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International ships is 21.

However, on cruises departing from European and South American countries, where the legal drinking age is typically lower than 21, a parent who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) who is between the ages of 18 to 20, may sign a waiver allowing the 18 to 20 year old to consume alcoholic beverages.

The 18- to 20 year-old must agree to comply with Royal Caribbean's policies, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. Restrictions apply, and this policy is subject to change without notice.

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to guest staterooms on the last day of the sailing. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Royal Caribbean's Guest Vacation Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Vacation Polices.

Royal Caribbean reserves the right to revoke or otherwise restrict drinking privileges of any guest, regardless of age.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...kG:10ktmeta1#7

I read that if you wish to buy a bottle of wine while on board, no problem but NCL charges by the shot if you want a bottle of liquor for your cabin. Someone suggested getting a bar set up in your cabin but it must be ordered before you board. What exactly does this entail and how much is it and how does one order it? I can't find any reference to it on the NCL site.....Joan

I read that if you wish to buy a bottle of wine while on board, no problem but NCL charges by the shot if you want a bottle of liquor for your cabin. Someone suggested getting a bar set up in your cabin but it must be ordered before you board. What exactly does this entail and how much is it and how does one order it? I can't find any reference to it on the NCL site.....Joan

Read away - the little seach button at the top of the forum is very helpful

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=3569874

Keystone cruiserer do your home work, Just got off the phone with rccl and they said that would be like cutting off your cash cow. Their policy is to take it and return it the end of the cruise. No thought of ever doing thiis stupid policy. The Coach

Keystone cruiserer do your home work, Just got off the phone with rccl and they said that would be like cutting off your cash cow. Their policy is to take it and return it the end of the cruise. No thought of ever doing thiis stupid policy. The Coach

Did you read the new policy above - not saying they will disembark you but they are making it clear they will for the worse offenders. As posted on the RCL board and we know it is the case at NCL the Customer Service reps are the last to know. :rolleyes:

The fact is like NCL it appears they are going to try and enforce a rule they have had for years.

Joan, I haven't read the answer to your question but I did see the name: Shoreguy, so he has filled you in, I won't bother. Maybe it is time we all join the tea totalers club of America. I am not even sure totales is the right word, but it will work. When you are all ready to join, let me know and we will start a chapter. Sure we will............NMNita

Coach, do you beleive everything the res agents and customer service agents tell you. If they really did say "it would cutting off the cash flow", little do they know. Of course I don't think any of us really believe they would not allow you to board or remove you when you get caught Red Handed or REd faced, whatever, but if you got really out of hand or started smart mouthing they could. Accept the fact, all cruise lines are going to be following suit soon. I could see this coming last year when RCI put into policy, no more buying liquor in the duty free shop and taking it to your room for a fee. NJbear, this got posted here to make others aware NCL isn't the only line cracking down of bring your own bottle to the party. NMnita

Ok Coach, what about NCL though? I think it would be suicide to refuse people to board if they are unfortunate enough to get caught smuggling alcohol. Maybe the cruise lines should take a look at their drink prices and no one would have to worry about sneaking booze on board, because then overpriced drinks wouldn't be an issue.:p

What does raising the cruise prices have to do with reducing the smuggling? NMNita

People that can afford higher priced cruises generally can afford to pay for their drinks on board and hence do not smuggle booze on board. That is not a 100% all inclusive but a for the most part statement.

I have never seen a post on the Cunard boards about smuggling booze on board one of their ships.

First of all, I never said that they were instituting the refusal to board policy on RCCL or NCL. I was simply answering the person before who thought they wouldn't do it because it would cut off their income. My point was, they could simply refuse you boarding if you are caught with booze. They already have your money and if it is in writing that smuggling is a reason for refusal to board, then they are in the clear.

Shoreguy then posted RCCL's new policy that basically said what I thought they would do.

I think it is a great policy but if your call to RCCL is accurate then it gives me another reason NOT to cruise with RCCL. Another example of making rules that they have no intention of enforcing. I hate companies that make rules and they don't enforce them, I hope they lose a ton of business!

People that can afford higher priced cruises generally can afford to pay for their drinks on board and hence do not smuggle booze on board. That is not a 100% all inclusive but a for the most part statement.

I have never seen a post on the Cunard boards about smuggling booze on board one of their ships.

next time do a search first

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=228225&highlight=alcohol

the Cunard contract does not prohibit carrying alcohol aboard!!!(I know I have one for the September cruise)

there are more

increased prices tends to increase smuggling. Cigarettes are an example and so was prohibition.

PPS I am not abandoning NCL my wife works for a poilitico and its primary season so we can't get the 10 days we would need for the Dawn...

Archived