Alcohol smugglers take note

smeyer418

next time do a search first

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=228225&highlight=alcohol

the Cunard contract does not prohibit carrying alcohol aboard!!!(I know I have one for the September cruise)

there are more

increased prices tends to increase smuggling. Cigarettes are an example and so was prohibition.

PPS I am not abandoning NCL my wife works for a poilitico and its primary season so we can't get the 10 days we would need for the Dawn...

I am confused from your link it looks like Cunard does prohibit alcohol :confused:

Hi Elaine,

Just to let you know I read in the small print "Terms and conditions" which accompanied my tickets, and it clearly stated that only alcohol purchased from Cunard is allowed to be consumed on ship.

This is not to say it was strictly adhered to but just for your information.

Phil

People that can afford higher priced cruises generally can afford to pay for their drinks on board and hence do not smuggle booze on board. That is not a 100% all inclusive but a for the most part statement.

I have never seen a post on the Cunard boards about smuggling booze on board one of their ships.

The price of the cruise has little to do with smuggling: most of us who are inclined to smuggle also support the liquid refreshment certers quite frequently. Those who wouldn't think of smuggling drink very little. Why do we smuggle? Not because we can't afford to buy booze, no, because we like having a drink in our cabin or on our veranda. It is much easier than traping to a bar, ordering and trying to carry 2 or so drinks back to the cabin.

The all inclusive idea comes up periodicially but is that fair to non drinkers or light drinkers?

Of course for some the cost is an issue, but raising prices would just chase people to some other form of vacationing and kill the cruise industry. Cruising is not for the rich or upper middle class only anymore. Isn't it a wonderful thought that families can now enjoy what used to be reserved only for those with mega bucks???? NMnita

I am confused from your link it looks like Cunard does prohibit alcohol :confused:

I just reread the contract. I don't see that section...If the poster who says its there can tell me under what section, I'll look again....but the same whinning about the price of drinks takes place everywhere except the few cruises that include it but if you look at the daily rates you can be sure you are paying for it anyway....and no one carries the one million year old port that I like.

My favorite port story was at the 67th street wine shop there was a bottle of port under glass protection that was $1100.00 a bottle, The next year for the same port was a quite reasonable(in comparison) $100.00 so I asked the clerk if there was really that much a difference between the $1100 port and the $100 port and he said " do you think I ever got to taste the $1100 bottle of port?"....

The have not updated their website to indicate any change. Not sure they want to do that in Jersey. After the fights the state will step in like they have in the case of the itinerary change last year. :rolleyes:

Which cruise was that? The Feb. one in 2005?:rolleyes:

There are many kinds of drinkers, drink a few in the cabin, drink a lot in the cabin. Have quite a few before you go out and buy at high prices.

I have read on these boards that some people run up bar tabs as high as $500 - $1000 for just one week. I got to think that these people believe it is far cheaper to bring on board several bottles of booze (especially from the carribean islands where it is $6 -$10 a bottle) than to pay the outrageously high prices on board ship.

But having said that, there are "all-inclusive" vacation clubs? that means all your food and booze is included. I checked these out and they can be anywhere from $1750 and up. The majority of people only consume 1 -2 drinks per evening (so we are not talking about every one on the ship).

I have also seen on these boards that the cruise line only charges the same price as a bar in New York? Well us poor folk who live in rural America and frequent the VFW and local bar would never dream of going to places that charge such a high price.

I don't drink anymore so the prices do not affect me - and it is hard to believe that a crusie line would cause such a PR nightmare by not allowing you on the ship because of booze in your baggage. I tend to believe that they would confiscate until the end of the voyage!

There are many kinds of drinkers, drink a few in the cabin, drink a lot in the cabin. Have quite a few before you go out and buy at high prices.

I have read on these boards that some people run up bar tabs as high as $500 - $1000 for just one week. I got to think that these people believe it is far cheaper to bring on board several bottles of booze (especially from the carribean islands where it is $6 -$10 a bottle) than to pay the outrageously high prices on board ship.

But having said that, there are "all-inclusive" vacation clubs? that means all your food and booze is included. I checked these out and they can be anywhere from $1750 and up. The majority of people only consume 1 -2 drinks per evening (so we are not talking about every one on the ship).

I have also seen on these boards that the cruise line only charges the same price as a bar in New York? Well us poor folk who live in rural America and frequent the VFW and local bar would never dream of going to places that charge such a high price.

I don't drink anymore so the prices do not affect me - and it is hard to believe that a crusie line would cause such a PR nightmare by not allowing you on the ship because of booze in your baggage. I tend to believe that they would confiscate until the end of the voyage!

Believe me they aren't NY prices- they are much less. But if you are a friend of Bill it shouldn't matter to you. People with a 1000 bar bill for booze need to visit Bill(IMO)

Trust me if they confiscate it will be at the being of the cruise. They have no reason to be bothered at the end.

Well for those in rural America just think of going to a ship like going to a big city hotel and not the VFW :D ;)

No different than if you are thrown out of a sporting event or amusement park for bad behavior. ("line jumping is cause for removal from park with no refund given." mmmm, maybe the cruise lines ought to add this rule for disembarking and re-embarking at the ports. I could have had several Dawn passengers on my June 17 cruise removed....lol)

WEll, now, wouldn't that get them exactly what they wanted -- off the ship faster?? Maybe line jumpers could be put in a lower deck to wait until everyone else was off!!!

brandnew

My DH is a light drinker. Just margaritas and wine coolers etc. Last Sept on our NCL Alaska cruise I told him about the ban on alcohol and all the clever ways people were smuggling it on board.

He got quite a kick out of buying a bunch of wine coolers and pouring every last one of em into his big water jug. He toasted the camera with the jug during our embarkation photo.

I teased him about being such a hard core rebel!! I didn't tell him until later that I'd hidden two bottles of my favorite wine (each in it's own ziplock) into each of his cowboy boots that were packed in his suitcase.:D

They made it on just fine, except I forgot my corkscrew!!

First of all, I never said that they were instituting the refusal to board policy on RCCL or NCL. I was simply answering the person before who thought they wouldn't do it because it would cut off their income. My point was, they could simply refuse you boarding if you are caught with booze. They already have your money and if it is in writing that smuggling is a reason for refusal to board, then they are in the clear.

Shoreguy then posted RCCL's new policy that basically said what I thought they would do.

I think it is a great policy but if your call to RCCL is accurate then it gives me another reason NOT to cruise with RCCL. Another example of making rules that they have no intention of enforcing. I hate companies that make rules and they don't enforce them, I hope they lose a ton of business!

Keystone,

You've got to be realistic. Its clear that you don't like people who smuggle alcohol onboard. However, if you refuse to cruise with any company that doesn't enforce 100% of their written rules, from what I've read on these boards, you'd be staying home quite a bit.

Of course the majority of the lines would never not allow you to stay on ship, but the policy is there in case: as for all inclusives, that has been my point for ages: As well as booking cruises I do lots of all inclusives: the mid price range do offer everything including gratuities, but will run close to twice what cruising runs. NMnita

• 2 weeks later...

to be honest, I rarely see cruiselines enforcing any rules from dress code to smuggling to underage drinking. I don't even know who enforces these rules. On the spirit one night they said that the next evening's adult comedy would be for adults only and ID's would be checked at the door. not sure which door but management was no where in sight but who really cares.

The issue about raising the drinking age on boats is also interesting. In Canada the drinking age is 19 and I believe its younger in most countries around the world. I have been in many other countries and have never seen drinking problems like I have seen in the states with the 18-20 years olds there. Maybe they should lower the drinking age in the states so that these ADULTS don't have to sneak around and over drink to make up for not being allowed to drink at home.

"Royal Caribbean's Guest Vacation Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation"

It is amazing that just about everyone here has rushed to ASSUME that the cruiseline will actually deny boarding. It says they COULD deny boarding. Having a policy in place that they COULD use is one thing. Everyday reality is another.

What about those of us who openly bring their own wine aboard - not smuggled. I pack mine in my suitecase, visible to whomever opens my bags for inspection. I want to drink my own wine at dinner and have no issues paying the corkage. My last 3 cruises (RCCL & Princess) I had a minimum of 10 bottles of wine packed in a suitecase and nobody questioned me. I paid my corkage and drank my wine. So, do these new rules mean I can no longer pay corkage?

They don't consider wine the same as hard alcohol. Last week we brought on 3 magnums of wine. At first they said they were going to confiscate them until I pointed out that 'no it is wine not alcohol'. Then they were ok about it and allowed us to retrieve it at dinner. The three corkage fees were put on our account on the last day. We had to go to cust service and have the account corrected because one of the specialty restaurant waiters put the corkage fee on the bill (which is how it is suppoed to be done). I wonder if a portion of the corkage fee is given to the wait staff. After all they are doing all the pouring and serving.

I just ordered th Anniversary Package today when I called to pay of my cruise with my online TA. It was pain-free. I got a receipt immediately. What a great deal the AP seems to be. We will just buy the rest of our drinks onboard. They do sell bottles in the gift shop, don't they? Does anyone have any liquor gift store prices?

I just ordered th Anniversary Package today when I called to pay of my cruise with my online TA. It was pain-free. I got a receipt immediately. What a great deal the AP seems to be. We will just buy the rest of our drinks onboard. They do sell bottles in the gift shop, don't they? Does anyone have any liquor gift store prices?

They sure do sell liquor in the gift shop at great duty free prices and you can pick it up just before you get off the ship.

"Royal Caribbean's Guest Vacation Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation"

It is amazing that just about everyone here has rushed to ASSUME that the cruiseline will actually deny boarding. It says they COULD deny boarding. Having a policy in place that they COULD use is one thing. Everyday reality is another.

The problem is that if it is there in the policy then they can enforce it whenever they want.

It is like the statement that they have the right to change itinerary with no explanation or compensation. Most passengers, I think, understand that clause is there to protect the cruisline in situations where hurricanes or some sort of disaster forces the cruiseline to change things, but I do beleive that there have been occasions where a line has changed itinerary simply for bottom line considerations. Somehow it doesn't seem fair to me that they should be able to sell you one cruise and then just decide to deliver another one because it suits their convenience but, since it is there in the contract, that is what they can do.

My position is , if they don't intend to use it why put it in, if they do intend to use it, well, read the conditions and buyers (or in this case smugglers) beware.

to be honest, I rarely see cruiselines enforcing any rules from dress code to smuggling to underage drinking. I don't even know who enforces these rules. On the spirit one night they said that the next evening's adult comedy would be for adults only and ID's would be checked at the door. not sure which door but management was no where in sight but who really cares.

The issue about raising the drinking age on boats is also interesting. In Canada the drinking age is 19 and I believe its younger in most countries around the world. I have been in many other countries and have never seen drinking problems like I have seen in the states with the 18-20 years olds there. Maybe they should lower the drinking age in the states so that these ADULTS don't have to sneak around and over drink to make up for not being allowed to drink at home.

The drinking age in the US is not a puritanical thing. It used to be mostly 18 to 19. It's a reaction to the epidemic of car crash related deaths to youths back in the 70's and 80's. Being that the US is probably the car capital of the world and the journey starts just a few seconds after turning 16, it may be a bigger problem here than in other countries where youths don't drive as much as they do here. Any child that really wants it is going to get it anyway. (Probably provided to them by some moron adult) And we all know how attractive it is to see a 13 yo hurling their spaghetti all over the carpet on a ship. :)

The drinking age in the US is not a puritanical thing. It used to be mostly 18 to 19. It's a reaction to the epidemic of car crash related deaths to youths back in the 70's and 80's. Being that the US is probably the car capital of the world and the journey starts just a few seconds after turning 16, it may be a bigger problem here than in other countries where youths don't drive as much as they do here. Any child that really wants it is going to get it anyway. (Probably provided to them by some moron adult) And we all know how attractive it is to see a 13 yo hurling their spaghetti all over the carpet on a ship. :)

And of course the answer to that is stricter laws governing young drivers.

I read that 50% of all driver 16 - 18 are involved in a vehicle accident!

If you cannot drink until 21, why be able to drive until 18?

Archived