Alcohol smugglers take note

smeyer418

And of course the answer to that is stricter laws governing young drivers.

I read that 50% of all driver 16 - 18 are involved in a vehicle accident!

If you cannot drink until 21, why be able to drive until 18?

I'm all for 18 to get your license. I didn't get mine until 18 and it didn't kill me. Of course I had a motorcycle until then and am darn lucky THAT didn't kill me. My oldest son got his at 18 and had a wreck at 19. My youngest is 17 and doesn't have his yet. It's not killing him either. He and his brother are rebuilding the wreck of his first truck and when it's finished I'm sure he'll be hot to get his license then. Neither one will get behind the wheel of mom's Lexus though. :)

Interesting to see how this tread has turned. I'm twenty and I got my liscence at 16, proceded to get my first ticket going 78 mph in a 40 mph zone (I was lucky and the cop actually knocked it down to going 11 over). By all rights I should have lost my lisence, but really after that first little ticket I matured alot. Anyway had you asked me two years ago I would have said 16 was a fine age for driving, now a little older (not much) and a little wiser (ha, not really) I'd have to say 18 to drive. I'm all for 20 to drink though!

I got my driver's license on my 15th birthday. Yes, 15th birthday. One day after being 14, I got a license. I'd already taken driver's ed in school though. Still...15. I'll be 36 in two weeks (wow...36...really? :o ) and I've never had a ticket. I've never been in an accident. I'm such a safe driver that I only pay $40 a month for car insurance. And that's full coverage insurance. But I'm probably the exception to the rule. 18 sounds good for getting a license. As for drinking...when I was 20, I was in the Navy and over in the Gulf War region fighting in a war. I can't have a beer?

As for cruising and bringing alcohol with you...the debate doesn't make sense to me. If the cruise line says no booze, they mean no booze. I'm not sure how personal feelings about it mean you can disregard what the cruise line says they allow. It doesn't even matter to me what their reasoning is. I'm going on their cruise. It's their party. If I don't want to follow their rules, I don't go to their party. My local movie theater bans outside food and drink, as do a lot of places that sell food. But I don't smuggle food to the matinee. Cruise lines say no outside booze. I don't bring outside booze.

Cecilia

First off, cute baby. Second I thought Service Personnel were allowed to drink on base with Military ID. I still could never get over allowing people to fight and die for our country but not allow them a beer or two.

I don't know how we got on this topic but I'm for 18 yr old drinking age. In our town it's easier to get Pot or worse Meth than it is to get a beer. I say give em a beer vs hard drugs... just my opinion from an ex hippie.:p

Back on topic my beef with NCL's WINE policy is if I want to bring wine back on board that I shouldn't get a cork fee unless brought into the dining rooms. If I want to enjoy in my cabin why should I incur a corkage fee?Other lines do not charge corkage fee unless in the dining rooms. I'm the one uncorking and pouring.....

CuriousCat

Cecilia

First off, cute baby.

Thanks. :D
Second I thought Service Personnel were allowed to drink on base with Military ID. I still could never get over allowing people to fight and die for our country but not allow them a beer or two.
Not on any base I was ever on. I was stationed at Moffett Field in CA and no drinking until 21. I spent time on bases in the Philippines, Diego Garcia, Kadena, Misawa, Perth, Saudi Arabia and Adak. No drinking until 21. However, once we left the base, it was fair game based on the country's law. In the PI I think it was 12. ;)
Back on topic my beef with NCL's WINE policy is if I want to bring wine back on board that I shouldn't get a cork fee unless brought into the dining rooms. If I want to enjoy in my cabin why should I incur a corkage fee?Other lines do not charge corkage fee unless in the dining rooms. I'm the one uncorking and pouring.....
But then doesn't the wine become the same as booze? My question is why not charge a corkage for the booze and just put a limit on the amount? I guess it shouldn't matter to me. I rarely ever drink.

CuriousCat

Count your blessings. The corkage is in place as an exception to the no alcohol rule. It is intended to allow passengers to bring onboard a few special wines to enjoy with dinner not to cater the cabin. If you decide to drink it in your cabin that is your decision.

I'm not a native english speaker so I have some questions to clear my mind.

It is allowed to bring a box of wine on board, right? Do I have to pay anything to get in on the ship?

About the corkage fee, if i only want to sit on the cabins balcony and drink, will they still take the corkage fee? Or is that only in the restaurants?

Thank you.

P.

I'm not a native english speaker so I have some questions to clear my mind.

It is allowed to bring a box of wine on board, right? Do I have to pay anything to get in on the ship?

About the corkage fee, if i only want to sit on the cabins balcony and drink, will they still take the corkage fee? Or is that only in the restaurants?

Thank you.

P.

You pay fee to get it on the ship. You can drink it in the cabin or at dinner but you still pay.

They sure do sell liquor in the gift shop at great duty free prices and you can pick it up just before you get off the ship.

I guess you can't tell it's our 1st cruise, huh?!! hahaha!! Well anyway it's good to know the gift shop is not an option for onboard indulging. Maybe we'll do the bar set up I've read about so much on here. It also looks like they have the beer helmuts(in champagne buckets) back. Is this right?

Thank you for yout answer. Any idea how big fee it is to get, say a 3 litre box on board (same as 4 bottles)?

If they try and charge you 3 or 4 corkage fees tell them you will pay once or give them the box and buy bottles onboard. In fact nobody has reported being charged more the one and in many cases the box just went thru screening and no fee was collected'

The key is if you bring your own expect to pay, don't get upset if you are asked to pay, but in many cases you may not pay a thing.

We had to pay but weren't charged until the last bottle was consumed. They took our bottles and kept them and each time we went to dinner they would retrieve a bottle. We took the remainder back to our room. We thought we weren't going to be charged and then they showed up on our bill the last day. Actually one waiter in a specialty restaurant charged us the corking fee so we had to have our account corrected. We were charged $15 per bottle and the bottles were magnum sized.

I'm not sure if I should stick my two cents in on this, but as I was crusing the boards I came upon the alcohol smuggling threads.

Trying to sneak some alcohol on isnt the real problem. Nor is refusing access to the ship due to it, or causing a scene. Trying to make sure we all are safe here in America is the real point.

I dont know, all, but right now I'd rather have to spend a little but more on drinks in lieu of smuggling, just to know everyone is doing their part in making sure terrorism doesnt hit the seas. It's not certain that you'll stop it, God knows. Overprotection right now is a good thing.

Actually, losing the cash cow by tossing smugglers off could be looked at another way. I'd say the money made on alcohol on the ship is the real cash cow. being a little tougher on smugglers???? Maybe not so tough on NCL's bottom line....

Anyway, that's my take. Thanks for reading.

Archived