Am I missing something??

IMO, a CD does not make or break a cruise. He makes or breaks a show, or even a non show. Keeps things interesting, even during those talks that can get OH SO BORING.

So, if you had a choice to see someone up on stage like Robin Williams, or David Frost, which would you choose?

If someone doesn't like to go to shows, they wouldn't care about the abilities of the cruise director.

I have liked all but one cruise director on my cruises. I can't remember their names. It's the one I didn't like whose name I DO remember. I sure hope it's not the same one everyone raves about here. Her name was Becky.

I have no idea what her last name was. They called her Bingo Becky. And she was on the Navigator of the Seas in March of 2004. She had this strange habit of flipping her tongue between her lips whenever she stumbled over her words. And she did this quit often. The sound of her tongue flipping annoyed me. I turned on the TV in my room once and there she was - doing that same tongue flipping thing.

Does anyone know who this Becky was on the Navigator in 2004? I just remember she was an average sized woman with brown hair.

Each cruise I've been on since then, I've thought the cruise director was better than the last. Maybe that's because they were all so good. Funny, personable, spontaneous and had a way with words - all of them. If they messed up their lines, they just went on with it without attracting attention with a stupid tongue noise. :p :p :p

Do the activities differ from ship to ship? Are the CD's in charge of planning and scheduling the activities or are they just there in a host/MC capacity?

Interesting question. A number of the activities (bingo, belly-flop contest, etc.) are run by the Assistant Cruise Directors.

In my experience, it is the Assistant Cruise Directors who are the weak link in the chain. They are obviously cruise director wannabes who lack the talent. Sure there are a few exceptions (although I've never met any), but in general, they are the most annoying of the staff:rolleyes:

I agree. The only CD I can remember was Gordon on the Radiance and that is because we sailed her twice within a year. I don't think they make much of a difference unless you participate in all of the activities, then maybe....

The ones I really don't get are the posts asking who the Captains are---what difference do they make??? I think the guy that flies us to the port has a much more difficult job to do....If I were to appreciate someone, it would be an airline pilot long before a guy that pilots an automated ship!

Ever heard of auto-PILOT?

The more I cruise I have found two things..........

1. The cruise director becomes less important as you settle in to whatever your typical cruise routine is, but the first cruise or two they are certainly an exciting part of your cruise experience.

2. The CD and the staff work their tales off. Came off the Mariner in April and sat next to a member of the staff on the car rental transfer. He was coming off his contract. He said he never got to sleep in late, never had a day off for his entire contract. Worked typically 16 to 18 hours a day.

So while they aren't an important part of my cruise experience anymore, I certainly have a great respect for the work they do and what they try to accomplish for the enjoyment of all passengers.

After 01+ cruises on RCCL, I can only remember 2 cruise directors. Gordon Whatman is by far the very best. Not only is he a great cruise director, but a fabulous entertainer. He could do an entire show by himself. His singing voice will blow you away. Too bad he is no longer on the Radiance.

We met James Andrews shortly after he became a Cruise Director. He hosted out Meet & Mingle on the EOS two years ago, and chatted with us a number of times during the cruise.

Neither of these gentlemen is loud, annoying, or obnoxious. They are, however, very personable and entertaining.

The CD, in no way, will affect the outcome of our cruise experience.

I just don't quite understand what the big deal is about who is the cruise director on which ship. I've read various posts where they go on and on how wonderful or on the other hand how awful a particular CD is.

I don't go to shows or talks or play games. I really only remember a few CDs in my cruising history and that is because I had dinner at their table :).

Who a CD is has zero impact on my cruise.

I agree. The only CD I can remember was Gordon on the Radiance and that is because we sailed her twice within a year. I don't think they make much of a difference unless you participate in all of the activities, then maybe....

The ones I really don't get are the posts asking who the Captains are---what difference do they make??? I think the guy that flies us to the port has a much more difficult job to do....If I were to appreciate someone, it would be an airline pilot long before a guy that pilots an automated ship!

Gordon was the best one we had on RCI, and there was one on the Millenium that we thought was very good, but frankly as long as they are not completely smarmy they make zero difference in my cruise.

So, put me in the I don't really care category. Some are better than others, but none of them are critical.

jc

Interesting question. A number of the activities (bingo, belly-flop contest, etc.) are run by the Assistant Cruise Directors.

In my experience, it is the Assistant Cruise Directors who are the weak link in the chain. They are obviously cruise director wannabes who lack the talent. Sure there are a few exceptions (although I've never met any), but in general, they are the most annoying of the staff:rolleyes:

So the Becky I saw must have been an asst. cruise director because she always did the bingo - that's the reason for the Bingo Becky name. She must not have been the famous Becky Thomson.

I have been on 14 cruises with RCCL. I can honestly tell you I have no idea who any of the CDs were. We went to most all the shows, but did not particpate in the belly flop, horse racing, or any of the pool activities. Didn't go to Love and Marriage, but did go to Quest. I can't remember even seeing or hearing the CD. SO for me, I really don't see what they do or don't do to enhance my vacation. I even won a snowball Bingo,( now THAT will enhance your cruise vacation:p ) and I don't know if the CD was there. I do recall a lot of people calling for or introducing "Becky" and I think she had a British accent. I do know that before the shows someone gets up on stage and tells the same silly stories and rallys everyone around to clap and show appreciation to the singers and dancers... but mostly I thought that person was annoying. Kind of like a childrens summer camp director.

So I don't care who the CD is and I agree, I never understood why it was so important. I have loved everyone of my cruises and if they were behind the scenes and were responsible for it being a good cruise, then I would say they are all good! I guess if you participate in all the pool activities etc, it might make a difference.

PLEASE also keep in mind that although you may have a poor "performer" cruise director, they are ultimately in charge of all the entertainment, so, although you may not be affected directly, you just may not realize he is affecting you another.

So the Becky I saw must have been an asst. cruise director because she always did the bingo - that's the reason for the Bingo Becky name. She must not have been the famous Becky Thomson.

Becky Thomson is one-of-a-kind, a true joy. I would think that "Bingo Becky" is someone else:)

Please don't take this personally, it's been my observation that most folks who think this way (or even worse "why would you want to dine with the Captain?") simply don't have a realistic understanding of the nature of the job.

Theron

I fully agree with you. Most people who are critical of a CD are considering only his personality or his performance quality. They don't realize how much of his job is done behind the scenes and how it extends well beyond the nightly entertainment. Chances are that if you enjoy your cruise because of the various activities on the schedule, even if you never attend a show at night, your cruise experience was a direct result of the decisions made by the cd in determining which activities to schedule and his management skills in assigning his staff to oversee those activities. If you have ever been on a show where a day at sea had to be scheduled at the last moment because the ship couldn't visit one of its planned ports of call, and seen how quickly the cruise staff can come up with a wide variety of activities to fill the extra time onboard and keep the passengers occupied and happy, you may begin to understand some of the responsibilities of being a cruise director. Emceeing the nightly show or running around the ship chatting up the passengers are only a small part of his or her duties. In some instances, the best cruise directors may be the ones who are less visible but are busy making sure that you enjoy your cruise.

Emceeing the nightly show or running around the ship chatting up the passengers are only a small part of his or her duties. In some instances, the best cruise directors may be the ones who are less visible but are busy making sure that you enjoy your cruise.

Maybe yes, maybe no. The PERCEPTION is that the CD's main responsibility is to be "out front," hosting the shows and activities and being the "face" of the cruise experience. What goes on behind the scenes is imperceptible to the cruising public. If a CD is great behind the scenes but a flop out front, s/he fails.

In an aside, I also question the assertion that CDs are to be commended for their creativity in putting together entertainment at the last miinute when an additional day at sea is required. It is clearly the case that additional days at sea are a fairly regular occurrence. As such, plans are already in place and simply need to be implemented. It's not a matter of creativity.

I certainly don't negate the fact they all put in some looonnnnng hours & work very hard. Just personally never had much interaction with any of them.... I commend them for their efforts! I guess I remember my waiter & room stewards more! (That or old age is setting in!:) )

I just read an article yesterday about a "hometown boy" that is now a CD for RCCL. Here is a quote from the article.

I've done 19 ships in my career," he said, adding Royal Caribbean currently has 20 ships in its fleet. "I've done three new take outs (maiden voyages of the cruise ships)."

Detweiler said people have a misconception of the duties of a cruise director with many often mentioning that it is a gravy job. "Some think that all I do is perform in the welcome aboard, run a few game shows and the farewell show," he said, adding he also performs on theme nights, '50s and '60s night and sometimes does a Cabaret show. He noted that he has about 120 in his department that he oversees every day while aboard ship with 80 percent of his job duties he must do behind the scenes such as scheduling, payroll, paper work and overseeing the entertainment. His work week averages about 90 hours, he said.

Also a link for the rest of the article if you are interested.

[URL="http://www.marionstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060731/NEWS01/607310318/1002/NEWS17"]http://www.marionstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060731/NEWS01/607310318/1002/NEWS17[/URL]

Even when he is not cruising he is entertaining!

[quote name='Jamrenjer']I can't seem to find the Roll Call for Mustard of the Seas with Captain Speaking!:D I really wanted to sail with him. I guess Mustard must have gone into drydock or being stretched? You all gave me some laughs! Thanks![/quote]

Follow the link in my signature or go to the Floataway Lounge and look for the "10 Reasons not to cruise RCCL" thread. We're usually at or near the top.

[quote name='Jamrenjer']Thanks WRP96! See you on the Mustard! :)[/quote]

See you there. Just be ready for the over 12,500 posts we already have. We don't recommend drinking/eating while reading, unless you have paper towels to clean up the mess.

Archived