RCCL - Port of Miami Questions

I've been reading here for a while and the Port of Miami sounds like a challenge to negotiate:rolleyes:

We're cruising out of Miami for the first time in a few months. We'll be staying at the Intercontinental and planned on taking a cab to the port. I assume that should be fairly routine, do you just tell the cab driver which ship you're on and they drop you near where you need to be.?

On return, we have a rental car set at MIA (going to Key West for a few days). Thrifty car rental advised they have a shuttle to the MIA car rental facility from the port. Is there a certain place to catch these car rental shuttles, or do they just stop somewhere near where each ship disembarks on a regular basis? Thanks for any help!:)

The cab driver should have no trouble finding the ship. He'll drop you at the spot where the porters are taking the bags. The rental car shuttles usually go from one terminal to the next picking up people.

To The Langleys,

We are booked at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami for our prenight. I am assuming that is the Holiday Inn you stayed at. I have been reading lots of reviews for the hotel and some are not so flattering. What was your experience there. I understand the elevators are hard to come by the day of the cruise. Heard that if you had an upper floor the elevator was always full when it got to you because it picked up lower floors on its way up. Did you go to Bayside Marketplace? I know this is not the topic here, but I need your advice. Thanks

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for one night pre-cruise. On another website there were various uncomplimentary comments about this hotel but we found it served our purpose very well. It is fairly basic but clean and comfortable. It is also just across the street from Bayside Marketplace which is a great shopping, dining and entertainment option if you don't want to travel far from the hotel. I also read reports about people not being able to get across the busy street, meeting beggars etc but we had none of these problems. It's a great spot for shopping before you board the cruise the next day or the boat tours of the stars' homes etc also leave from here. We got up early the morning of the cruise, had no problems with the elevators and took a cab to Ocean Drive for breakfast! Everything is really convenient and you will love it! Have fun!!

Lots of good pier info. on this thread -- just one more. We are flying home from Fort Lauderdale -- flight is at 11:25am (I know it's a bit early -- the airline made a schedule change on me!). Do you think my best option is to rent a car from MIA (take shuttle to rental location from pier) and drive myself to FLL -- or take a cab directly from pier to FLL? Which would be faster and more effiecent? Thanks!

To The Langleys,

We are booked at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami for our prenight. I am assuming that is the Holiday Inn you stayed at. I have been reading lots of reviews for the hotel and some are not so flattering. What was your experience there. I understand the elevators are hard to come by the day of the cruise. Heard that if you had an upper floor the elevator was always full when it got to you because it picked up lower floors on its way up. Did you go to Bayside Marketplace? I know this is not the topic here, but I need your advice. Thanks

We stayed there last year and had a wonderful room. We were on an upper floor at our request so that we could watch the ship come in that morning. They had just refurbished a bunch of rooms and we ended up in one of them. The bayside has lots of good food and live entertainment. If you have kids, they even have a few carnival style rides for them.

Archived