Fred Olsen - Braemar

maclon

I have just returned from a mini-cruise onboard Braemar. Just my opinion, but having read so much about Olsen's "wonderful" staff. I was surprised at how surly most seemed. This was my 26th cruise and the only time that the room steward has not introduced themselves!.

The ship is small by todays standard but seems reasonably well maintained. The one exception was the lighting in the stateroom bathroom which was dreadful. Gents need to be careful when shaving!! and I am sure the ladies would have great difficulty in applying their make-up etc. in this light, otherwise the stateroom was fine.

Food was OK, a bit bland for my liking, however, I did not hear any complaints. By the way, the waiters and wine steward (being the exception) were very pleasant.

Entertainment was dreadful and bordered on the amateur!, again, just my opinion and maybe others would disagree.

Our stops at Amsterdam and Zeebrugge (for Brugge) was fun if not a bit short.

Disembarkation was a nightmare. The priority system seemed to have gone terribly wrong and they were offloading people onto coaches for Dover

before people with train and plane connections!!. eventually I took matters into my own hands and left the ship with barely an hour to catch my flight. Considering that the ship had been docked for over 3 hours, it really was a shambles.

I normally cruise with Celebrity/RCCL/Holland America. I chose this cruise because it was a short itinerary and I thought it would be a good introduction to cruising for my sister (it was her first time). I was less than impressed but having said that, my sister loved it!.

Mac

Hi MM

I was quite pleased with the value for money aspect of the cruise. Particularly the bar prices, some of the cheapest I have ever come across!!

Its just a bit different from what I am used to. I really like Celebrity or

Holland America and it's not really up to that standard. Having said that they have many repeat guests who just love it.

Mac

We have over the past few years done five mini cruises (three or four nights) on all of Olsen's current ships. These (all but one on Black Prince) have been enjoyable as a city break type of holiday but I do not think we would go on a fortnight cruise with them. Why - well basically we feel that they have got proportionately more expensive in relation to say P&O and other mediterranean based cruises. In fact if you book P&O early in the season when the brochures come out they are now cheaper than Fred Olsen. We have done a two week cruise with P&O and thus encouraged have booked two more for next year. We consider the food to be better, the entertainment a lot better and an altogether classier experience. The only down side is that of course P&O are larger ships and we have always preferred smaller ships. However, Artemis - the smallest P&O shiip we enjoyed very much and once on board by day two it seemed to get smaller!!!

• 8 months later...

Fred Olsen certainly should be cheaper the most of its rivals because the facilities they provide are not as good. It's worth driving a hard bargain with them because many of their cruises are getting hard to sell and I know their ships are not sailing full at the moment.

David.

I am sailing on the Breamar on the 28th July Norwegian Fjords for the first time, I do not expect the ship to be as the same standard as my usual liners ie RCCL Navigator class, QM2, although it has good reviews.

Yes F.O. is has been finding it difficult during the last couple of years, due to the introduction of many larger liners from the USA, Far East and Italy also well known Tour Operators into the Baltics and the Med, so unfortunatly has had to cut costs to compete, whether or not this has effected the normal high standards of the line is debatable.:confused:

However F.O. has it's own faithful clientel and has a lot of repeat business, I hope that this small intimate fleet does not dissapear and I know the company are trying their hardest to modernise their fleet, hopefully without losing that old English charm.;)

As for disenbarkation, try the QM2 four hours after docking, it was a nightmare, I have now learned to hold onto my luggage and walk of ships during disenbarkation for easiness, and also this way you do not have to hunt through a warehouse of luggage.:eek:

Trish

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anorak33

Dinkey, We have just been on Braemar for 2 weeks to the Baltic, our third time in 12 months.

We like big cruiseships and small ones, they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

There aren't really any "liners" as you mention now except QE2, and a good liner doesn't often make a good cruise ship anyway.

The Braemar is comfortable and intimate. The crew are friendly and certainly remember past passengers and welcome them back.

The food is OK, its not always what I prefer but I like a bit of a "wow" factor on a cruise and you don't often get that on Braemar unless its an exceptional seafood lunch.

The generally older generally British passengers seem to like the food so FO must be getting it right for that particular market.

Their brochure prices are horrific, but many people pay them. Not me I admit I wait for the last minute specials which come up from time to time and represent exceptionally good value.

I always think if you don't pay too much then you don't have unrealistic expectations so I am usually pretty happy with FO.

I couldn't really say if FO have cut costs much recently, we have only noticed the removal of the tea and coffee making facilities from the cabins, the lack of morning and afternoon tea and coffee and biscuits in the Coral Club, and maybe the dining room food has a little less quality than it was.

Embarkation and disembarkation were a breeze as usual, the only thing with Braemar is that mobility scooters and wheelchairs may have a bit of a problem getting off in ports depending on which gangway and deck is being used.

And I thought the drinks needed more booze in them but then I like them strong.

At least there was never a queue for the pool or jacuzzis, hardly anyone used them except me.

Anyway, a great 2 weeks on Braemar again, roll on the next cruise.

PS We aren't quite as old as most of the passengers, just 50ish.

I'm on Braemar now (in Amsterdam) and its a fact that Fred Olly can not match the facilities of a 70,000 ton ship in a 17,000 ton hull. Nor do they try. Their market is different. By the way, Braemar is to be stretced and have a new deck and balconies added. Remember where you heard it first!

Guest Anorak33

I heard it first from the Captain last week. I was told 90 more cabins too. I do hope it doesn't spoil it.

I think FO have been struggling with Braemar for a while. She's simply too small to command a good fare rate and that is ultimately what a small ship needs to pay its way.

I still regularly use FO for short cruises, but I would not do a long cruise on them again. This is my first time back in a year and the standards have declined dramatically. The drink measures are short and the food quality leaves a lot to be desired,

Oh dear!! My husband and I are due to embark on our first ever cruise in a couple of weeks time. We're booked on a Mediterranean trip on the Braemar, but these postings have really put me off.

Guest Anorak33

MoragK - please don't be put off, we are just a lot of silly old fools (well I am anyway) reminiscing about how much better things were in the past.

Braemar is still a wonderful cruise experience and as long as you didn't pay full brochure price, often very good value.

You will have a great time, I would be back on Braemar tomorrow given the chance so it can't be bad.

Braemar is a good seaworthy ship, a pleasant crew, pretty good food, and comfy cabins which you will find are kept spotlessly clean.

Enjoy your cruise!

I would add to that. We do get very picky at times and tend to forget the 99% that was good and emphasize the 1% grumble.

We ARE on Cruise Critic after all. Just one short day made the trip for me - a magic day in Monaco that was worth the trip alone.

Bet it will be the same for you.

David.

I have just come off the Braemar after a mini cruise to Guernsey and Amsterdam.

First of all I have to say that the ship is nice and very comfortable. It is smaller than most cruise ships but that is the attraction.

I would agree with some of the comments made. The room stewardess and waiter did not introduce themselves to us or even attempt to interact.

The food was OK. Like someone said it did not have the wow factor.One night two of the four choices was macaroni cheese and shepherds pie. The seafoof buffet was excellent.

The tea and coffee or lack of the facilities is an issue that concerned a number of people and Braemar need to do something about it.

However it's plus's are the bar prices and no 15% gratuity on top. The entertainment was excellent. My wife loved the Arts Club and the three arts and craft sessions on board. The best that she has experienced from any cruise line we have been with.

As for the Braemar stretch that news was leaked out 6 weeks ago. The Cruise Director told me that there are no definate plans at present. They are waiting to see how the Balmoral goes. However if you look at the Fred Olsen site there are no cruises available on Braemar for a two month period next May/June/July (perhaps that will be when things happen)

Guest Anorak33

EJNutz - at least we all seem to have pretty much the same opinions, something which doesn't always happen on CruiseCritic.

Cruisers can be on the same ship and the same cruise, one may think its fantastic, the other may comment it was the worst cruise they ever had.

I really think its unlikely that FO will ever be the worst cruise anyone ever had, maybe some folk may be a little bored but that will probably be if they are used to glitzy big ships with loads of facilities and they don't bother to take part in what is actually on offer.

I have trouble fitting in everything there is to do, yes, even on Braemar.

Braemar doesn't have glitz and wow factor,which I guess is why I like it.

If you want glitz and wow then try NCL Pearl, I just love that ship too....

Its nice to meet the same crew again and again, to realise they are genuinely pleased to meet you again, we have even had the waiter remember how we liked things, amazing when you consider how many guests they look after. That is NOT going to EVER happen on some big ship belonging to giant cruise line.

We were just in 3023 on Braemar, our cabin stewardess was Lorna, she introduced herself, made sure we had what we needed and kept everything immaculate. She was happy, chatty and efficient, more than I would be with 17 cabins to service every single day.

And yes, she did get a really good tip, she was worth it, Brits are often not good tippers and these folk don't get much basic pay.

Our waiter on table 47 however, whatever his name was, we never found out, was slow and uncommunicative, and we reluctantly abandoned the Thistle restaurant in favour of the Palms Cafe for dinner so we could get out at a reasonable time. So there was no tip for him, thats how it goes.

Now I'm looking for that next FO bargain offer, preferably on Braemar but Black Watch would also be good.

On Artemis last week I paid £1.30 for a diet coke,

four weeks before that, on Boudicca, 90p.

Almost 50% difference.:eek:

Glad you mentioned this..(pricing in Pounds!)

Being I live in a U.S.Dollar-related territory (Barbados),

I have to think v.carefully when booking a cruise

on a ship that 'thinks' in Pounds Sterling!

1.30 Pounds for a Diet Coke amounts to a lot of money

when converted to USD or equiv. regional currency!

Think I'll be sticking with the bigger American-run ships

where they think and price in U.S.Dollars.

Guest Anorak33

Hi aplmac

You are going to be paying well over two bucks now for a can of soda on most USDollar denominated ships.

Thats more than the 90p charged on FO and much the same as £1.30 on P and O.

I live in Florida and just paid $11.77 for 60 cans of Coke in the supermarket, thats less than 20cents each - or 10p.

Of course you can't make a price comparison between bar and supermarket prices but it is obvious that the cruise lines are relying heavily on drinks profit to make up their overall profit in the face of high oilfuel prices and historically low ticket prices.

Unfortunately for them they won't get it from me. One reason is that I am a cheapskate, the other is that I have not yet found availability on any ship of Coke Zero products which is all I drink now as the high sugar original sodas are a no go zone. (5 teaspoons of sugar per can!)

If you've never tried it then give it a go, no calories (so you have more capacity for lobster etc) and I think a much better flavor than Diet sodas have. (Yeuchh! IMHO they are horrible)

They just brought out cherry and vanilla cans of CokeZero, not as sickly as the original versions thanks goodness.

Sprite Zero is also a good product, tastes very much like the original but no sugar.

These are great products for diabetics too, as well as for those of us who cruise too much and have become bathroom scales challenged.

I have never had a problem carrying on as much soda as I wanted to on any ship, if challenged I would point out that they do not have this type of products available for me to buy so I have no option.

Obviously I don't take it into public areas but its great in the cabin.

i did a post on roll calls but no reply to anyone been or going on the braemar. but this site is better. how stable is the ship? had any choppy seas? as i'm taking my girlfriend on her 1st cruise on mini cruise 4th august. see someone is doing her on 28th july must be a short cruise ending in leith where we board. done mostly mini cruises and quite enjoyed them apart from the CRUISE FROM HELL ON THE BLACK PRINCE. we are in 3111 not far from yours so might get lorna too. i was on her in 1994 as the CROWN DYNASTY. my friend is apt top get sick so muast get something just in case. are there any formal nnights on the mini cruises? as need to get her something to wer.

looking forward to hearing from anyone.

dave

seabourndt: we have just returned from a two week Baltic cruise on the Braemar so if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. I dont know about formal nights on mini cruises, is this information in with your tickets? ours was.I have written a short summary on my roll call to the Baltics thread, also Anorak33 has posted there too, you might find our comments there helpful.

I have just done a mini cruise over the bank holiday. We had one formal night.

As for choppy waters. It was a bit choppy on the last night. I was in cabin 3088 and did not feel a thing. A friend of mine was in room 2005 and she did feel the bow thrusters. I think you will be fine with the stabilisation of the ship.

Guest Anorak33

Seabourndt - I think you will get a different cabin stewardess to Lorna but they all looked pretty well kept as I walked along past your cabin when the doors were open. Each girl gets 17 cabins to look after I am told.

Braemar is very stable, not like Black Prince. Our cabin 3023 was far forward and still was OK in quite rough seas we didn't feel much movement. Forward of our cabin were various entertainers, not regular passengers. We used to get noise from some big motor or something when we were docking but otherwise it was great, and anyway for what we paid we didn't care as long as it didn't sink.

i how stable is the ship? had any choppy seas? as i'm taking my girlfriend on her 1st cruise on mini cruise 4th august.

We found her not very stable atall in quite moderate seas.

David.

Guest Anorak33

The different views on stability just go to show how very subjective cruising is.

It all depends on ones experience of various ships as well as ones own tastes and preferences, strengths and weaknesses.

I have never been in really rough seas on Braemar, but I have been thrown out of my bunk on QE2, and had to hang on to the glasses and plates on QE2 SeaPrincess and NCL Pearl on occasions. There were a lot of breakages in the dining rooms on those cruises.

On another ship transatlantic I was in the buffet line when suddenly the ship gave a sudden unexpected lurch and the display glass jars of peppers and stuff fell on me from off the display and then shattered on the floor.

Only time I ever felt queasy or seasick was on The Princess Margaret crossing the English Channel one morning at about 50 knots after having had 3 large Pernods and some strong french coffee. Even then it was only when we hit the sandbanks. I must have a strong stomach.

If the original posters friend is very very sensitive to sea motion then maybe she is one of those folk who just shouldn't cruise.

But I have never seen anything fall over on Braemar and never seen lots of people sick on there like I have on some other ships.

Archived