Has Anyone Ever Done Transatlantic Cruise?

Hello...Even though my wife and I have done 16 cruises, we have never done or even thought of a Trans-Atlantic Cruise until some other people suggested it.

I see the prices are very reasonable for longer cruise lengths, but there might be some disadvantages, correct?

We do not have a problem with the ship at sea for so many days, but I guess oru main question and concern would be with violent weather and rough seas.

Has anyone had any experience with a Trans-Atlantic journey and the sea conditions? Is it like any other cruise where weather dictates if the sailing is smooth, a bit rocky or rough? Or are Trans-Atlantic cruises in general more rough and that would be another reason why they are not that expensive.

Thank-you for your time and help.

Regards,

Dave

Hello...Even though my wife and I have done 16 cruises, we have never done or even thought of a Trans-Atlantic Cruise until some other people suggested it.

I see the prices are very reasonable for longer cruise lengths, but there might be some disadvantages, correct?

We do not have a problem with the ship at sea for so many days, but I guess oru main question and concern would be with violent weather and rough seas.

Has anyone had any experience with a Trans-Atlantic journey and the sea conditions? Is it like any other cruise where weather dictates if the sailing is smooth, a bit rocky or rough? Or are Trans-Atlantic cruises in general more rough and that would be another reason why they are not that expensive.

Thank-you for your time and help.

Regards,

Dave

When I read the title of your thread, I was tempted to be a wiseguy and reply that "No, the ships always sail empty" but then I read your message and you are due a much better response.

We have sailed on two transatlantics and are booked for a third. On the first, Brilliance of the Seas - Harwich, England to Boston, MA, we skirted the fringes of a hurricane and had about a day and a half of rough seas (high winds and 30 to 60 foot swells) and still enjoyed our cruise to the utmost. The captain did an excellent job of keeping the movement to a minimum and very few passengers seemed to be adversely affected. Last year we cruised at the same time of year, Jewel of the Seas, with the same captain and had a smooth ride across the ocean. Weather is clearly the dominant factor and we have had rough seas cruising between the East coast and Bermuda, as well as in the Caribbean. We have also sailed from NY and Boston to Eastern Canada when the seas were as smooth as glass.

Fortunately my wife and I do not tend to have seasickness, but I would never tell anyone that they will not experience discomfort if they are prone to motion sickness to any degree.

There are no guarantees as to what kind of weather and seas you will encounter in the North Atlantic, especially during hurricane season, but that is why the prices are usually more reasonable. If you are willing to take the chance, book a transatlantic. Some of them visit ports that you might not otherwise get a chance to visit, and you may find that you like the consecutive days at sea a wonderful way to relax and enjoy your vacation.:)

I´ve been on 3 TA´s so fat 4th is coming up next month.

Yes sea conditions depend on the weather and you never know what it will be like, I´ve had smooth sailing and calm seas as well as strong storm winds and very rough seas, with missed ports, closed outer decks, closed elevators, emptied pools, etc.

So you never know what it will be like, but I still like them for the ports and many sea days.

I have done 3 "crossings" and just booked the Brilliance for the Dec. 07 transatlantic repositioning cruise. The previous posters are correct--weather can vary considerably, and in general there is a higher chance of rough weather on a TA that in the Med or Caribbean. But I too, recommend it for the ports and extra sea days.

I sailed only one TA, on Voyager this last May, and although I remember it being mostly smooth I know it wasn't PERFECTLY smooth as the ice show was cancelled at least once due to weather. Certainly, though, I didn't find the ride to be any rougher than, say, sailing up the west coast of the US. Frankly, I prefer a little motion - it reminds me I'm at sea, and I stop drinking sooner because I think I'm drunk! :) As for sea days, there can never be too many as far as I'm concerned. We had five in a row, and I remember thinking at the end "is that all?"

will be doing TA no8 in november - there are basically 2 routes - north atlantic from say dover to boston or nyc, or spain or italy to miami or ft lauderdale. weather is unpredictable of course, but the north atlantic tends to be less smooth. but what with stabilizers and long range forecasts, ships can and do alter courses to avoid storms that may be in their intended path. we have been on ships that skipped a port or two so they could take a different course. there is nothing to worry about - no ship's captain with thousands of passengers onboard is going into a major storm. but you need to be aware that as you go from east to west and the weather is going from west to east in general, you will get some changes of weather in the course of 6 or 7 days TA. book one and enjoy it:)

We sailed TA on her Sept 2004. Got to meet up with a boxer friend in Belfast Ireland whom we missed for 1.5 years. The best excursion as we met friends & other boxers hoping to work Las Vegas. Then we sailed into Cork ireland to meet some relatives of my DH. Then to Paris to go to the very top walking the stairs of the Effel Tower. Then we were to go to Iceland but a hurrican with 85 mph winds beat us so we got to goto Vigo Spain, which was no big therill but 6 days at sea to NYC. They had great lecturers to enjoy their tales, from an NBC newsman to a writer of cruise lines before Titanic. Never bored. We even got a 4 days thrill ride from the back of the hurricane with 50 ft swells that had our balcony soaked. Announcements for folks to stay off their balconies, go us a OBC of $400 making us Oceanview for 4 days. Free drinks also. All doors to decks outside were locked so no one washes overboard.

No small ships for us, Radiance class + is what we sail. So we are ready for any weather, waves, pools unleashing on folks with its tsunami wave, all quite fun! These Captains have used the computer boards that leash the worst on them to steer thru & they always win. RCCL/Celebrity has the best of the best.

My in-laws did the England to New York route on the QM2 a couple years ago and had a horrible time because of the rough seas. They couldn't go out on deck the entire trip and couldn't use their balcony because the sea spray was too much for them. Coincidentally, the same week DH and I were sailing the Western Caribbean with smooth seas and sunshine the whole way. :p

They said they would never do Trans Atlantic again. As for me, I'd have no problem doing it just to say I did it.

We have done the TA on the Splendour last november from Barcelona to Galveston. Take a look at our review with weather dates under the link Atlantik 2005: www.oppermann-wuppertal.de

You´ll find an english version. We are now booked on the Voyager for this november from Barcelona to Miami and we hope it will be as relaxing and wonderful as the last one on the Splendour. It´s the best way to end a stressful year, after a busy season and I know so many people who are addicted to Transatlantic Crossings. We have done a Pacific crossing this year on the Radiance from San Diego to Hawaii. I would say, the weather on the TA in november was better than on the Pacific in may.

Try it, but you must love all these days at sea (TA mostly 6 sea days).

I agree with leoandhugh (I always seem to agree with leoandhugh; he's got good info:D )....anyway, I think the southern route tends to be calmer.

We came across on the Splendour in October several years ago from Barcelona. You've heard the expression "doldrums", which refers to the old sailing expression for a sailing ship at sea with no wind, so it just floats with the currents. Well, that was our crossing. The Atlantic was like a piece of glass, and the temperatures got 2 degrees warmer every day as we went West. Even the captain on his daily announcements said what spectacular weather we were having.

Transatlantic cruises are really great. Have fun!!

We have done the TA on the Splendour last november from Barcelona to Galveston. Take a look at our review with weather dates under the link Atlantik 2005: www.oppermann-wuppertal.de

You´ll find an english version. We are now booked on the Voyager for this november from Barcelona to Miami and we hope it will be as relaxing and wonderful as the last one on the Splendour. It´s the best way to end a stressful year, after a busy season and I know so many people who are addicted to Transatlantic Crossings. We have done a Pacific crossing this year on the Radiance from San Diego to Hawaii. I would say, the weather on the TA in november was better than on the Pacific in may.

Try it, but you must love all these days at sea (TA mostly 6 sea days).

Wupper has it right. Got to love sea days!

couple of other points - sailing frome east to west you gain hours most nights! yea!

doing the southern route Might be warmer?smoother?, I would still do the route that sees the ports you prefer, and hope the captain can sail around the bad weather.

I get motion sickness everywhere! In my hubby's sports car, on buses, on planes, ships, snorkling, well you get the idea. I use seabands (carry them in my purse) and they make a big difference. Roughest seas I've sailed was around Cape Hateras and around Cape Horn. Hateras made me retire early with no dinner. Still love those TAs! Can't beat the price, we usually save enough that we don't mind adding on days on the European end, like getting two vacations in one. However the airfare is usually pretty steep because of the one way legs, we always do it throught the cruiseline they seem to get better deals because of the one way legs but I still check to see if I can do better.

If you try love being on the ship, you love a TA!

Did the Constellation the end of April. We had a couple days of rough seas (maybe 50-60 foot waves) and high winds (50-60 mph). Didn't really bother the two of us, though we sometimes lurched a bit walking. Couldn't go out on deck then. A few folks took some nasty spills.

Would I do it again? Well, we are flying over to come back in Sept on Jewel o the Seas (Constellation was sold out for a long time, then a few cabins at outrageous prices).

We have done 21 cruises.... Roughest weather we ever hit was in the Caribbean. We have crossed the Atlantic (Harwich to Boston in September), and crossed the Pacific (Ensenada, Mexico to Hawaii in May). Both crossings were smooth as glass...... We loved both crossings. Go for it.......

Archived