Smart casual?

RCI's website indicates there are two formal nights and one smart casual on 7 day cruises. I have seen many threads on formal night, but no discussion on smart casual. Is there really a designated smart casual night, and is it strictly observed? Are the specialty resturants smart casual? I don't mind wearing a jacket, just want be prepared.

Mariner on September 24!!!

In days gone by it was a sport coat and a tie........but those days are all but gone.........today it is a pair of slacks and golf shirt for 90% of the cruisers.........

In looking at recent compasses for the Navigator, there is no smart casual night. It is either formal or casual. This is for a 7 night cruise, and the compasses are as recent as 7/8/2006.

Maybe it's the same on Mariner. ;)

I had heard they had taken smart casual off the 7 night cruises. However in the past on SC night my DH wore a sport coat and dress slacks, I a nice skirt or dress. I guess I will be saving money on cruise clothes if everyone dresses casual.:(

Mariner on September 24!!!

Actually, the Mariner (don't know about other ships) has recently done away with Smart Casual nights. However, it is still the recommended dress code for the specialty restaurants.

As others have pointed out, a tie for smart casual is nearly obsolete. But jackets really aren't, at least in my experience. Nobody is going to kick you out of Chops if you're in a nice button-down or even golf shirt, but jackets are still common, and a very nice touch IMHO. :)

One way to approach smart casual is to choose an outfit for that night that is one level dressier than what you wear on casual night.

For instance, since my DH usually wears khakis and a polo or hawaiian shirt on casual nights, he dresses up his usual outfit by wearing a blue blazer over the polo or hawaiian shirt for smart casual. Alternatively, he could wear a buttondown shirt.

Since I usually wear capris on casual nights, on smart casual I will wear a casual (non shiny fabric) dress. Or a shiny top and more jewelry with the capris.

See how it works?

On our last cruise, most of the women were "smart casual" every night! (The men, not so much!) It just means dressing to impress! Looking good--like you actually care what you look like! Nice pants or skirt, nice tops, flirty shoes, hair combed (at least) if not styled a little! No polyester doubleknit slacks with ratty bedroom slippers as shoes! You get the picture!

On 7 day cruises and shorter smart casual has been done away with. There are 2 formal nights, and the rest are casual. As we all know, RCI does not update their website on a regular basis, or inform customer service reps of changes, but on your ship in the cruise compass, you will find that there are no longer smart casual night. THANK GOD!

On our last 7 night and d4 night cruises, there was no smart casual night. On our 12 night Med there was either one or two. I do remember wearing my suit and tie one night and my sport coat and tie a second night. But I can't recall for certain if those were the nights we ate in Portifino's and Chops or not. We're sailing Alaska for 7 nights in 3 weeks and once again I'll pack for smart casual, just in case.

I really wish RCI would update it's web site becuase I hate to pack good clothes if I'm not going to need them. It takes up additiona packing space and weight plus puts the cothes at risk of loss or damage by the airlines/cruise lines (I have spoken with people who's bags hit the ocean while they were tyring to load them on the ship).

We are also going on our first cruise and I had the same question, so thanks all!

Can I also get some clarification on "casual". I think casual means many different things to many people. I would imagine even though it is casual, jeans would not be appropriate for dinner. Is this correct? I was planning on my husband wearing khakis with polo or button down? Myself, sundress or nice capris. Would this be appropriate? What about my kids ages 12 and 9? Are khaki shorts and a polo okay or should they also wear khaki pants for casual nights? Oh there's so much to think about. :)

I really wish RCI would update it's web site becuase I hate to pack good clothes if I'm not going to need them. It takes up additiona packing space and weight plus puts the cothes at risk of loss or damage by the airlines/cruise lines (I have spoken with people who's bags hit the ocean while they were tyring to load them on the ship).

I agree! I bought and brought clothes on our first cruise because their web-site said I would need them and then they didn't even have smart casual.

We are also going on our first cruise and I had the same question, so thanks all!

Can I also get some clarification on "casual". I think casual means many different things to many people. I would imagine even though it is casual, jeans would not be appropriate for dinner. Is this correct? I was planning on my husband wearing khakis with polo or button down? Myself, sundress or nice capris. Would this be appropriate? What about my kids ages 12 and 9? Are khaki shorts and a polo okay or should they also wear khaki pants for casual nights? Oh there's so much to think about. :)

You are correct in your description of casual. Shorts should not be worn for dinner at any age, your boys would be better in long khaki pants and polos.

The clothing suggestions are the same for children as they are for the adults. The ship will politely ask that shorts not be worn into the dining room in the evening. That the passengers will politely comply seems to be an issue :) .

We take one pair of slacks for our son, having them laundered mid-cruise (usually the day of formal night, so they won't be missed!). It's not too expensive, certainly less than the purchase of another pair of slacks, plus it cuts down on packing.

Your take on casual is correct.

The clothing suggestions are the same for children as they are for the adults. The ship will politely ask that shorts not be worn into the dining room in the evening. That the passengers will politely comply seems to be an issue :) .

We take one pair of slacks for our son, having them laundered mid-cruise (usually the day of formal night, so they won't be missed!). It's not too expensive, certainly less than the purchase of another pair of slacks, plus it cuts down on packing.

Your take on casual is correct.

Unless it is Freedom of the Seas on surf night where it simply says wear your casual surf attire. Shorts are allowed on that night.

worms

worms

worms

worms

worms

worms

Who opened up that can of worms?!!?!??!!??!!?!?! ;)

Archived