Information Needed About Singapore Hotels

Keith1010

We are looking to stay at a five star hotel in Singapore. Hotels that we are condidering are Raffles Hotel, Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels and if so what did you think of them and how was their location. Also, if you have any other hotel recommendations that would be great.

Other question is we will be in Singapore for a post-cruise. How many days would you recommend that we stay there in terms of having sufficient time to see the major sights of this city?

Thanks,

Keith

We are looking to stay at a five star hotel in Singapore. Hotels that we are condidering are Raffles Hotel, Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. Has anyone stayed at either of these hotels and if so what did you think of them and how was their location. Also, if you have any other hotel recommendations that would be great.

Other question is we will be in Singapore for a post-cruise. How many days would you recommend that we stay there in terms of having sufficient time to see the major sights of this city?

Thanks,

Keith

I have never been to Singapore but I suggest you check Tripadvisor.com.

We've been to Singapore but stayed at the Mandarin Oriental.

Singapore is a modern somewhat sterile city. Two days is plenty of time. We thought that the highlight of our stay was visiting the Singapore zoo at night. There aren't many cultural sites although there are a lot of shopping opportunities and great food. The city is very safe and clean. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Each of the choices you suggested is excellent and your choice will depend on your personal preferences. If you want a hotel in the sense of a western-style hotel, then choose the Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. The Raffles is more "colonial" style, built around patios, some exterior walkways, etc.

That being said, for me, Raffles is the clear choice. It is truly historic and has lots of charm. Add to that the wonderful service, great restaurants, first rate shops, and the best location in Singapore. (The renovation in the late 1990s (I believe) has it to full five-star standards.) It is a "once in a lifetime" experience.

As for what to do, please give yourselves at least a couple of days. Suggestions: (1) Shopping, the national passtime. Orchard Road for the modern shops and any of the shopping malls for the ambience, especially on the weekends (Bugis Plaza is my favorite). (2) The museums, especially the Asian Heritage Museum (near Raffles and near the Singapore History Museum although the name of it may be somewhat different). Fascinating rotating exhibits. (3) Chinatown and Little India, including the quirky shops and fascinating restaurants (food is generally safe in Singapore). (4) The Orchid Garden at the Botanical Garden - greatest collection of orchids in the world. (5) the Zoo. Again one of the best in the world. See if the Zoo is doing breakfast with the orangutans - you get to actually eat breakfast alongside orangutans. Not to be missed if it is available. Enjoy. Singapore is a great place.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi AJ,

Have stayed at the Oriental which is the best breakfst I have experienced in Asia - truly enormous !

Their harbourview rooms are excellent and well priced incl breakfast.

Conrad Hilton I can also recommend as locale and great rooms .

Regards

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

The Raffles, in my humble opinion, is way overpriced. Stayed there once, never again. I would suggest going there for High Tea if you want The Raffles Experience.

The Oriental, as haas been mentioned, does indeed have the most amazing breakfast buffet ever seen by humans. Even if I stay on the Club Floor there, I go down for brekkies. :) My problem with this hotel is twofold:

a) It is rather sterile. Very little personality. Excellent service, but not much

personality

b) Location. Nothing wrong with it, simply not my favorite part of town to stay.

The Ritz and the Four Seasons are (wait for it) The Ritz and the our Seasons. You get exactly what you would expect from these chains.

I have stayed in the past and am staying again on my next visit at the Regent. Not quite the 5-starishness of your two choices, but very nice and I like the location. But then, that is simply my oddness. It is at teh top of Orchard Road, so many do NOT like the location. But that location makes it easy walking distance to the Botanical Gardens -- my favorite place in The Lion City.

Many other fine choices at reasonable prices, Keith. If you are looking for something a bit edgy, there are some intersting new High Concept small hotels. But the rooms in these places are tiny (they are in convered chophouses). Let me know if you are inersted in these.

Singapore has some fine museums (another posteer mentions a few). Of course there is the Night Safari. Great shopping (or so I am told) and the best eating city in the world.

Paul

Sorry to butt in, but I'd be interested in the boutique hotel info! We're trying to find somewhere to stay, and I'd like a place with a little character! I've been looking at places online, but I really have no feel for the city or what area would be convenient to stay in!

Sorry to butt in, but I'd be interested in the boutique hotel info! We're trying to find somewhere to stay, and I'd like a place with a little character! I've been looking at places online, but I really have no feel for the city or what area would be convenient to stay in!

First, despite my prior post, Singapore is really a city in which where you stay is not all that important. Why?

a) The entire city is safe

b) Public transportation is cheap, clean, and easy

c) Taxis are inexpensive (despite a recnt increase in tarriffs), clean, honest, and very easy to find.

"Special" hotels:

The Scarlet: http://www.luxehotels.com/index.cfm?PropID=283

Considered the most romantic hotel in the city. Check out the suites. Each is named and the decor matches the name.

Keong Saik: restored Chophouse in the center of Chinatown. Interesting place. Be warned, though, all the "special" hotels in Sinapore tend to ahve small rooms. Even in this catagory, the rooms here are smaller than average.

Fullerton: Not a boutique hotel, but different from the typical modern highrise hotel in the city. A colonial era building with the ambience of that era. Rasonably ratges--unlike Raffles.

There are (many) others, but the above I have both stayed in and can recommend.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Singapore last year and stayed at the Four Seasons and loved it. We booked the spa package on line - this included massages for both of us, breakfast and a lunch that was great. It is in a quiet area and convenient to Orchard Rd. We took the hop on hop off bus all over and had no problem. We were arriving at midnight at the airport and arranged for a car to pick us up. He was waiting for us after we got the luggage and went straight to the hotel.. The conceirge met us outside and took us directly to our room and registered us there - we felt like rock stars. Have a great time.

Jane

Archived