tipping porters

should you tip the porters where you drop off your checked luggage? Last year on my first cruise I did tip him because I wasn't sure and he looked at me like I was crazy...so I was just wondering what others did before I head to the port tomorrow. Thanks

should you tip the porters where you drop off your checked luggage? Last year on my first cruise I did tip him because I wasn't sure and he looked at me like I was crazy...so I was just wondering what others did before I head to the port tomorrow. Thanks

We always tip the porters, if they carry our bags for us we give them a dollar or two that's our rule of thumb.

d

I always tip them 'a buck a bag'. It's the one tip that you always do prior to the service rendered, so it seems wise not to 'upset the apple cart'. And after you give him your bags they 'disappear' for a while. A tip is one more assurance they'll 're-appear' in your stateroom. (And it is just the right thing to do IMHO)

We did a transfer, and never saw the porters! The bus driver took care of our bags--we did tip him several dollars. (I'm sure he dealt with the porters, but who knows what kind of deal the transfer drivers have!?)

As others have said, standard protocol is usually around a buck to two bucks a bag. I normally give at least 2 dollars a bag, sometimes 3... they're working hard and as Vincent Antonelli says, "it's not tipping I believe in. It's overtipping."

I never have a problem tipping, these people work hard, but what I have a problem with is when they ask or comment before they have even laid a finger on a bag. That is a big turn off. The first time using a RCCL shuttle, on the return trip to the airport, the wheels hadn't started rolling and the driver was hitting everyone up for a tip.

I always tip porters because there are always bottles of booze/soda/water in my luggage and they tend to be heavy because of it... :rolleyes:

Just off the Navigator this past Sat. in Miami. I usually tip big if they take my luggage (7 bags=wife takes everything including kitchen sink:D ) to the parking garage. I gave $40 for the 7 bags and I am sure I made the porters day.

I give everyone who tuches my luggage $20 to $25 dollars. I have never lost any of it. I would feel so cheap giving them a couple bucks.

Well I think that anyone in your position should tip at least $25.00. Actually, you might be cheaping out a little bit. But I am glad you are doing the right thing.:p

For those of us not in your position, (probably the majority here) we have to tip what we can and I think that 1-3 dollars per bag is appropriate:cool:

Unless it is some piece of medical equipment or something thats not really luggage, then maybe more than 3.00

I always tip the porters and the bus drivers....Poor guys, my bags are heavy!! I usually tip a dollar per bag and then throw in an extra dollar or two. I agree with the others, you never know if helps get your luggage where they need to be - maybe it gets them there faster!!

I always tip porters because there are always bottles of booze/soda/water in my luggage and they tend to be heavy because of it... :rolleyes:

and, if you don't tip, your luggage may end up in the bay of Biscayne!!:eek:

We usually give them $20. They work hard and if the norm years ago was $1 a bag, surely they too deserve a cost of living increase. Our bags are of average size and weight, if they were heavy and/or larger, we would give them more. Now that $20 takes care of 4 bags. I do not consider that to be extravagant nor do I think that we are by any means wealthy.

Annieeee

Archived