How reliable is American Airlines?

FierceAXBoi

So I guess I should of asked this question prior to buying my ticket. I am flying from Miami to Lga on September 2nd. I am on the first flight out at 730am arriving at 10:30am. Anyone experience any major problems with America Airlines Recently?

As a very loyal AA flyer (over 100,000 miles per year for the last 6), I very seldom have problems on AA. One reason I stick with AA-not a lot of problems and they have the best FF program in the business. Sure, problems do happen-schedule changes, late flights, changes of aircraft to a plane I don't like as well. But overall, I have been treated very well and had a minimum of problems.

Being on the first flight out is another big help in alleviating problems. You should be fine. Enjoy!!!

Repeat after me: All airlines will have a mechanical problem sometime in their existence. All airplanes will have a mechanical problem sometime in their lifetime. It's the nature of mechanical devices. To believe otherwise is fantasy. It will happen, and if you fly often enough, it will happen to you. Just a pure application of probability.

The questions revolve around the other parts to the picture - how do they handle mechanicals? is there staff/parts to solve problems? what is their customer service attitude? are there alternative flights/routings that can be offered? what is the reputation of their maintenance operations?

Since you are flying from MIA (an AA hub), you will have plenty of on-site mechanics and parts available for any problem. You'll also have plenty of alternate routings and/or alternate aircraft available for you. AA has a highly regarded in-house MX department. And overall, AA has a quality customer service reputation.

If you ABSOLUTELY have to be there -- book tickets on several airlines so you have redundancy in case one has to cancel. Of course, there is a price for that "insurance".

So, in simple terms.....you are likely to be fine. Enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the small stuff.

Let's see I've had great luck with American and I've had bad luck. But the same can be said about every other major airline in the US. I've had better over all luck with AA than other airlines.

We fly American Airlines regularly. But, as FlyerTalker said all airlines can have problems. But, the good news is that Miami is a hub for American.

But, there is always the unknown. The biggest problem could be if your plane is canceled due to mechanical problems or some other problem. They may not be able to get you on another plane that day given how planes are being booked to full capacity, even above full capacity.

So, if it was me I would fly in the day before my cruise. If this is not an option I would go in on the first flight. And, I would choose American Airlines given that we are familiar with them and they have a hub in Miami.

Keith

I know I know but I still worry..........but yeah I am flying out on the very first flight and was thinking of getting there at 5am

First flight out is usually a good one to take.

Most likely, the plane you'll fly will have been sitting at the gate overnight. It makes it far more liekely that you will have an ontime departure.

As far as ealry arrival? That depends more on the airport, the number of people flying at the time, security procudures in place, etc.

I know I know but I still worry..........but yeah I am flying out on the very first flight and was thinking of getting there at 5am

I would monitor what happens after today, and it may well be that you'll need to get there even earlier than that for a 7:30am flight. If it settles down in the next few weeks, then you really will be fine.

Archived