What to do in Naples??

We will be docked in Naples later this month for one day, and we cannot decide what to do! We have not been to Europe, and are looking for a great experience, not necessarily touristy. Honestly, we would love to soak up some local culture and good food, wine, and people-watching. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We will be docked in Naples later this month for one day, and we cannot decide what to do! We have not been to Europe, and are looking for a great experience, not necessarily touristy. Honestly, we would love to soak up some local culture and good food, wine, and people-watching. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Naples boils down to a few choices:

Stay around Naples - not hugely recommended

Ferry to Capri

Pompeii

Amalfi Coast

By the time we got to Naples we were tired... we'd had 3 days of 10 hour tours in a row and just wanted to do our own thing so we took the ferry to Capri..but we knew we'd be back ;) this time we're doing a tour of the Amalfi Coast...so it really depends..what in that area do you feel like seeing?

... looking for a great experience, not necessarily touristy. Honestly, we would love to soak up some local culture and good food, wine, and people-watching. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Absolutely! Get (buy or borrow) a copy of Rick Steves' Italy guide and take the Slice-of-Neapolitain-Life walk - it's quite an unforgettable experience. I look forward to doing it again in November.

Thank you for your suggestions. I definitley want to see Pompeii, but my understanding is that it is not a full day excursion. If we go to Pompeii in the morning, we would love a more leisurely afternoon. Is it too ambitious to be thinking Capri or Amalfi coast after Pompeii? Any other suggestions?

Hi to All,

I would just catch the train to Sorrento and on the way there stop at Herculaneum, which is smaller then Pompeii yet captures the that time in history. Enjoy the limoncello or gelati while strolling the beautiful town of Sorrento.......Dennis

Thank you for your suggestions. I definitley want to see Pompeii, but my understanding is that it is not a full day excursion. If we go to Pompeii in the morning, we would love a more leisurely afternoon. Is it too ambitious to be thinking Capri or Amalfi coast after Pompeii? Any other suggestions?

Pompeii is a 4 hr excursion. If you haven't been (and you haven't), it is a 'must see'.

Capri is truly lovely, but it's about a 40 minute ferry ride from the Naples pier. Depending on the duration of your stop in Naples, you may not be able to accomplish this. It is definitely something to look forward to on your return, however!

Amalfi coast is land based, but depends on traffic situation. Take a look at your number of hours in port and you'll be able to figure out how much you can do after Pompeii.

Richard

What we plan to do in October is to see Pompeii in the morning and then return to Naples to basically follow the Rick Steves walk--getting pizza in Naples is on our must do list. Awhile ago the Travel Channel did Samantha Brown's first cruise and she just did Naples for the day. Other people on the Tripadvisor forum have ridden the hop-on hop-off bus and liked it.

We also are coming off port intensive days pre-Naples and didn't want another all day tour.

About the Naples bashing. First of all--I'm from the Philly area (Philly has had more than 224 murders this year), so I'm used to cities. If you don't like cities, expect Disney-Naples with Sophia Loren hanging out every window, or are afraid of being out of your comfort zone Naples may not be for you. If you go with confidence and an open mind (and some common sense street smarts) you will be able to experience a non-touristy real-life city.

There have been several Naples programs, both on the Travel Channel and PBS--see if you can find or rent any. If you would be more comfortable see if you can find a walking tour guide. Just think--you will be in not only the city that is the birthplace of the modern Opera--but more importantly--THE BIRTHPLACE OF PIZZA!!!!

Last year we visited Pompeii on our own (we took the train from the Circumvesuviana train station) and we wanted to do capri as well but there wasn´t enough time, so we stayed in Naples and walked around very near the cruise terminal and we ate the best pizza ever at Pizzeria Brandi! don´t miss it!

have fun.

I have heard that there is a 2 hour guided tour in Pompeii that gives a very good first tour. It really depends how much you are into that. I am sure you could spend anywhere from 2 hours to 6 hours there. I visited Pompeii last year and I think I only spent around 2 hours on my own.

I am going on a Med cruise this November with my son and we are going to do Pompeii and then continue on the train to Sorrento. I was in Sorrento twice last year and I really enjoyed it. I need to return to a special inlaid wood shop for these really different inlaid wood boxes.

I do not think I would waste anytime in Naples, I was even discouraged from going there by an Italian gentleman that I worked with in Rome.

Look at the following website for the train schedule from Naples to Sorrento and back. Very easy and not a long ride.

http://www.massalubrense.it/circum.htm

You could always do Herculaneum first and then wander up into town when you get back. Herculaneum is extremely easy to do on the bus. The bus stop is right where the cruise ship docks. It is more compact than Pompeii, less crowded and IMHO is far more beautiful and complete.

Go on the fast Hydrofoil to Capri. It is one of the most beautiful islands in the world. Go up to Anancapri a short drive in one of the taxis (lovely area for drinks & lunch & people watching - especially rich & famous) and take the chair ride to the top of the mountain - abosolutely stunning!

You could not possibly be disappointed with this place.

It is one of my favourite destinations!

Enjoy

:) we will be there on a Sunday do you foresee any problems with the hydrofoil or places being closed??

Go on the fast Hydrofoil to Capri. It is one of the most beautiful islands in the world. Go up to Anancapri a short drive in one of the taxis (lovely area for drinks & lunch & people watching - especially rich & famous) and take the chair ride to the top of the mountain - abosolutely stunning!

You could not possibly be disappointed with this place.

It is one of my favourite destinations!

Enjoy

I see it's time to revisit the guidelines on posts to share tours that appears as a sticky on the first page of this forum:

Please do not post looking for Tour Shares in our Ports of Call forums.

Locate the specific ROLL CALL for your ship's sailing and post it in there! Rule of thumb w/ tour shares: if you are starting a NEW THREAD for your tour share -- stop!

You will find the best response by posting in the ROLL CALL for your ship's sailing date -- these folks are sailing with you -- and may be just waiting for someone else to have a great idea for a tour!

Laura

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, we are visiting Naples on the Carnival Freedom in April 2007 on our 25th anniversary cruise.

We will have a 16 year old boy and 13 year old girl who like to see cool things, with SOME history -- but not a day full. Teens are teens if you know what I mean. They want to have fun.

Based on the fact that it will be the first week in April, and not beach-like weather, what do you recommend we do in Naples with teens? We are there from 8-5.

Thanks!

Ahhh...teens in Europe. Well, for Naples I would take them to Pompeii in the morning, and if you have time to Capri. This is tricky on your own, and the tour that does this will be pricy with a family (tours will go to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri in a single day). When you get closer to your trip I (or some others here) could tell you how to take the train from Naples to Pompeii, continue on the same train line to Sorrento, take the jet boat from Sorrento over to Capri, and than take the hydrofoil from Capri all the way back to Naples where it docks a short walk from your ship. If you go on your own, you should pick-up a tour at the entrance to Pompeii, because a good guide (unfortunately they are not all good) can make the ruins come alive.

Hank

Pompeii is just a must. I lived in Rome for 3 years and it's one of the few ruins I never tired of seeing. If you want to do something very cool and different grab a taxi and guide book with map and go up to the Cumae Sybl's digs. Take a camera and some black and white film also if you are a picture buff. If the light is decent you will see something that will make others jealous for decades! The Sybl had a balcony where she could look out and see ships returning from Africa, the Miiddle East or Spain. Your future told would be paid in what she knew came from those areas because noone actually saw the Sybl but her servants. And there are no lines of tourists there unless an art history class from Germany shows up.

If you go to Herculaneum or Pompeii in the morning you might want to go to the Museum in Naples in teh afternoon. The Museum is where all the things they got out of the two towns including some beautiful mosaic floors and walls are now on display. It is wonderuful. And don't miss the "secret room" with all the x-rated displays are. In the 1960's women were not alllowed to go into that room. Now they say you have to be 18.

We walked there from the port but you could take a taxi and walk back down the pedestrian street to the Fort near the port. I think all this is on Rock Steves walk.

Lisa & Scott and Cinderelle,

We were just in Naples on Aug 13 -- a group of 5 families with 11 kids ages 6 thru 17 :eek:

We had a fantastic day in the Naples area. Because it was raining hard overnight and still lightly in the morning, our private driver recommended that we go to Pompeii in the afternoon (too muddy, he said just after rain), so we drove the Amalfi coast with stops in Sorrento, Positano and lunch in Ravello. Then we drove to Pompeii -- enjoyed a private tour for about 2 hours and headed back to the ship. It was a relaxing day for our group, since it wasn't heavy on sightseeing/museums but fun exploring the lovely towns, some shopping and gelato, a delicious leisurely lunch and exploring the fantastic sites at Pompeii. Needless to say, we could not have seen/done so much if we did not have a private driver(S). Other folks with teens on onboard said that their kids also liked hiking Vesuvius....which we would've liked to do, but the rain in the a.m. changed our plan for the day.

Enjoy,

Lynne

Lisa & Scott - We were just there this time last year. First - FORGET about Naples. Either go to Capri - Awesome. Or, go to the "Roll Call" and find 3 to 5 other people who will join you on a private tour of the Amalfi Coast. That's what we did - Our driver was Fabrizio - and we had maybe our best day of the whole vacation. - Which is saying a lot. Make sure you make it all the way down to Positano. The most beautiful place in the WORLD! Good Luck

I was told that the almalfi coast is breathtaking to I booked the excrusion with princess. I know they advise that it's better to book on your own but I am a cruising newbie and panic at the rules that you have to be back in time or the ship leaves. The excursion I booked takes you to the almalfi villages and sorrento where there will be beautiful views. They do warn you that people prone to motion sickness should take it into consideration as the bus ride is winding.

Archived