UK airports on Maximum alert

haggis

We all need a little levity in our lives and this is fine BUT this is also a serious situation sooo if it becomes a "joke thread".. well....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: There may be some coming here for advice, to give "first hand input" etc. and I'd like to keep it "clear of chatter" so to speak so they don't have to wade in too deep

Supposed to be flying out to miami tomorrow morning to join Caribbean Princess (From Heathrow).

Has anyone heard anything from Princess.

:mad: Just tried to call them and you get an answerphone saying offices are closed. You think they would have staff on overtime at a time like this...

Of course you can lock your bags. There are many locks available from many sources that are TSA-approved.
If you are departing from the UK, which is the situation in which you are if you're subject to the current "no cabin baggage" rule, you do not need a TSA-approved lock. A good strong padlock has always been a vital part of the traveller's armoury.

Just to update you all, the airports here are pretty chaotic, with Heathrow and Gatwick worse affected. Delays are between 2-5 hours and many domestic flights cancelled.

On arrival passengers are given a clear plastic bag in which to deposit tickets and passport, any essential medication and minimal baby supplies. No other hand luggage items are allowed, ie no mobile phones, no glasses cases, nothing. The speculation here is that this rule will remain in place for the foreseeable future, so you would be advised to consider that possibility and check with your airline before flying.

I just heard from BA that the plane my DD & DS-I-L has taken off and is expected to land at 10:00p.m. They had been cruising on the Golden Princess and during a previous e-mail they mentioned that there were a good deal of elderly persons on the ship. Hope all were able to deal with the chaos. Counting the hours until we see them.

Abby

On arrival passengers are given a clear plastic bag in which to deposit tickets and passport, any essential medication and minimal baby supplies. No other hand luggage items are allowed, ie no mobile phones, no glasses cases, nothing. The speculation here is that this rule will remain in place for the foreseeable future, so you would be advised to consider that possibility and check with your airline before flying.

I agree that these new rules will probably stay around for a while. It wouldn't surprise me at all, if the TSA would implement them as well very quickly. Overall, I'm fine with it, as the huge carry-ons a lot of people have been taking have been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. The only thing that worries me is, that valuables like cameras, jewelry, etc. will have to go into the checked luggage as well, thus being fair game for the bad apples among airline and security personnel. Even the best padlock is easily cut off.

The same goes for medication. If people are only allowed to take as carry-on what's essential for the flight, there can be very difficult situations for some, if their checked luggage doesn't make it or is compromised, and they need to see about replacing their heart medication, insulin, or whatever, at the destination.

I hope everybody who is flying today or in the near future will get to their destinations safely and with minimal delays. Only time can tell what's in store for those of us whose trips are out a little longer.

Originally posted by threecats: The only thing that worries me is, that valuables like cameras, jewelry, etc. will have to go into the checked luggage as well, thus being fair game for the bad apples among airline and security personnel. Even the best padlock is easily cut off.

We agree - unfortunately, there are bad apples everywhere today. I posted something similar earlier on this thread and here's what the powers that be posted in the member's speak out feature:

JulieJoe offers a cynical insight: "Another negative thought (since we can no longer lock our bags): hopefully there will not be a rash of cameras, jewelry, etc. stolen from checked bags." Let's hope her comment is more cynical than realistic.

We've never had anything stolen from luggage - but then we've never had anything in our checked luggage worth stealing. I've heard of many others who have experienced that loss and often see the advice to not put anything valuable in your checked luggage. I am NOT a cynical person - just facing the fact that valuables in checked luggage are at risk.

We'll adapt to whatever security measures are put in place - without complaint.

I just pulled the following off of one of the Kansas City news websites, I think this is probably the best explanation of what you can take on the plane and what you can't:

New security measures are in place at U.S. airports in response to a thwarted terror plot. The Transportation Security Administration released these guidelines:

LIQUIDS

Banned from carry-on luggage

That includes drinks, toothpaste, perfume, shampoo, hair gel and suntan lotion

Drinks purchased in the airport cannot be carried onto flights

SHOES

Must be removed and placed on an X-ray belt for screening

PASSENGERS

Asked to arrive at least two hours early to allow for additional screening

Additional wait time may be required at particularly busy airports, including Newark International, Chicago O'Hare, Atlanta Hartsfield, New York Kennedy, Los Angeles International, Dulles International in the Washingtom, D.C. metro area., and Boston Logan.

ALSO BANNED (on British flights only)

Laptop computers

Mobile phones

iPods

Hope this helps.

TravelAbby, sounds like you and I are glued to the computer and tv news together. My DH is in flight, from Heathrow, to Chicago. I hope he makes a connection, any connection to get home, and I hope your DD and SIL do, too.

Have you found http://www.flytecomm.com yet? Another way to track flight.

I'm hoping that all electronics make it home safely........DH is traveling with a brand new laptop..........etc. Of course, safety is worth a million computers........but just to keep up with topic. We've never had anything taken from luggage during travels either, but then, we never pack anything of value........

Safe travels to everyone.

Headed to London next Tuesday on Princess air to catch the Aug 20 Golden Princess sailing and return at the end of the cruise. Here's my take on what United told me tonight about returning to the U.S. FROM London.

Remember the following IS FROM LONDON.

1. Nothing goes onto the plane with you except items REQUIRED for the flight. This means medicine, travel docs, car keys WITHOUT remote car door openers, money, passports, credit cards, regular and/or sun glasses WITHOUT their cases, sanitary supplies just for the flight and that's basically pretty much just about it. All of these allowed items MUST be in a see through plastic bag. If it's food or drink for the baby then you may be required to taste it when you board regardless of what you heard on TV says United.

2. NOTHING will be allowed in your pocket or on your shoulder when you board in London. IT'S JUST YOU AND YOUR PLASTIC SEE THROUGH BAG.

"Gary McDonald, 64, of Brampton, Ont., said travellers who flew out of Heathrow were not allowed to take any carry-on luggage.

"All we were allowed was a house key. Not a car key, because it has a remote, not a cellphone, no lipstick, no eye-glass carrying case, no pens, not even a handkerchief or a Kleenex," McDonald said after he landed in Toronto.

Karen Smith, of Winnipeg, and her husband Blake were in London and said they were told even a book wasn't allowed on board the flight home. "

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=013bc219-8925-4383-8ee6-df349d50da50&k=85094&p=1

DH is FINALLY on his way home from the airport!!! It has taken him 24 hours to get here from his London hotel.

Thanks, Spingirl, for your good wishes, and I do hope your DD and SIL are home, too, TravelAbby.

Safe travels to all........

The threat level in the UK has been lowered from "critical" to "severe". As the peak of the danger appears to have passed, it seems that most cabin baggage will be allowed on board again, possibly from today (Monday 14 August).

More details will get posted on airlines' and airports' websites in due course, but it's the wee small hours here at present.

Edited to add: stace11 has found an official announcement - see this post.

Thanks for the update.

One thing that has struck me with the new (temporary) regulations is that I bet it's a lot faster and easier to disembark your flight! It's bugged me for years that people bring everything except the kitchen sink and then take forever to unload it from the overhead bins.

Archived