Don't Quite Understand Liquid Ban

Princess Patches

My understanding is that you cannot take liquids beyond the security checkpoint in the airport but what about all the restaurants and shops that sell liquid items that are located after the security checkpoint? Are they no longer selling drinks, perfumes and so forth? Is there a second security checkpoint set up right at the gate now? I don't quite understand how this is working.

You aren't allowed to take anything purchased in those shops beyond the security gate (such as the duty-free shops) onto the plane... so you drink up whatever beverage you buy and you DON'T buy liquor or perfume (or toothpaste) or anything else that is forbidden! I'm guessing they're hurting those businesses pretty good right about now.

I read an article today that Body Shop was closing down over half of its airport stores - due to lack of business. Duty free shops in airports are no longer selling perfume and liquor. So I think the answer is they are stopping the selling of these items past security.

Some shops at our airport (MSP) have closed because of the new ban. These shops include those that sell cosmetics and perfume. No word yet if the closings will be permanent.

The ban is 1 day old, why would stores close down today. Doesn't sound right to me since nobody knows how long the ban will last If these stores closed already it has nothing to do with day 1 of this no liquid ban.

People flying into your airport can still buy and take it with them.

The ban is 1 day old, why would stores close down today. Doesn't sound right to me since nobody knows how long the ban will last If these stores closed already it has nothing to do with day 1 of this no liquid ban.

People flying into your airport can still buy and take it with them.

Well, the folks working in some of the shops at the airport here in Orlando were told to go home, they were closing the store, and they would contact them when they could return to work... so obviously the ban is harming them more than you would think.

My 16 year old daughter pointed something out to me last night:

Now that the liquids/gels ban is in place (and no one knows for how long, but the industry buzz is that it may be forever in the USA), and seeing as most airlines no longer serve meals, are they going to confiscate your sandwich with mayo and mustard on it? Hmmm... It's something to think about!

Taters

One of the DC stations ran several segments this evening on the impact to all three area (DCA, IAD & BWI) airports. At a lot of shops it appeared to be business as usual. Some shops were actually doing quite well as people who got to the airport early as suggested were sitting down and eating and drinking more than normal since they had not lugged along their case of bottled water. One shop, kind of a bath and body shop, was offering to ship any products that couldn't be taken onboard for their customers. They implyed that although the extra cost reduced their profit it was worth it to them to keep their customer base. If any of the establishments had closed their doors completely the reporters missed them.

As an aside, they did a live segment with the guy from the TSA who was in charge of security. Now I admit the TSA is only two days into this thing and I know they have lots of wrinkles to iron out but boy did he ever come across as "not the sharpest tack in the box". Other than emphatically stating that if you were traveling domestically you could still bring onboard your cell phone (oh darn :eek: ), ipod and all those cute electronic toys he didn't have a straight answer to anything else they asked. It would probably be wise for anyone not traveling within the week to just take a wait and see attitude prior to trying to invent their own remedy for what they view as their own travel dilemma.

It is my understanding that women can't bring their purses (oh, lord, say it isn't so) no makeup (liquid, lipstick, mascara, etc.) Hope some of this lets up real soon. I can live without water, but not makeup lol

It's only in the UK that you can't bring your purse... but if your makeup is liquid or gel form (and apparently they consider mascara and lipstick and lip gloss and chapstick to fall into that category) then you can't bring it aboard. Same for liquid foundations and gel blushes, etc.

Well, the folks working in some of the shops at the airport here in Orlando were told to go home, they were closing the store, and they would contact them when they could return to work... so obviously the ban is harming them more than you would think.

Okay, the jumped the gun. My friend was told to return to work today (apparently only yesterday they closed them up) and they will do exactly as described by larsen - they will ship if you cannot carry what you purchase aboard the plane. Still not sure how this will affect those liquor shops in San Juan airport and such... maybe they'll have special packaging that can be checked? and hopefully it will arrive back on the luggage carousel at the end of your flight! ;)

News reports this morning state that liquid, including alcohol, purchases at the airport duty free shops are allowed. Here's an excerpt from the Houston Chronicle:

"Because the products sold by duty-free shops are brought to the gate by store employees, and the sealed purchases are handed to travelers during boarding, those sales don't violate the new policy, said TSA spokeswoman Carrie Harmon."

News reports this morning state that liquid, including alcohol, purchases at the airport duty free shops are allowed. Here's an excerpt from the Houston Chronicle:

"Because the products sold by duty-free shops are brought to the gate by store employees, and the sealed purchases are handed to travelers during boarding, those sales don't violate the new policy, said TSA spokeswoman Carrie Harmon."

The above post is interesting. So I guess this means you can buy anything in the duty free shops (including liquids) and bring it on board because it is sealed and brought to the gate by a store employee. You can't put it in your checked luggage because your luggage is already checked in.

So all the terrorist has to do is get a job at one of these shops and then "sell" his liquid item to his fellow terrorist who boards the plane with the "sealed" item. Didn't I read somewhere that one of the arrested terrorists was an employee at Heathrow with a full access pass? I guess they are still a few loopholes in the current liquid ban policy.

So all the terrorist has to do is get a job at one of these shops and then "sell" his liquid item to his fellow terrorist who boards the plane with the "sealed" item. Didn't I read somewhere that one of the arrested terrorists was an employee at Heathrow with a full access pass? I guess they are still a few loopholes in the current liquid ban policy.

One of the other loopholes is you can bring on prescription medicine if the name on the bottle matches the name on the ticket. Like a terrorist can't get a perscription for cough medicine with codeine or something, and then pour it out and put in whatever he wants?

This is going to be a serious problem, since folks obviously need their medications. Not sure how they'll handle that.

One of the other loopholes is you can bring on prescription medicine if the name on the bottle matches the name on the ticket. Like a terrorist can't get a perscription for cough medicine with codeine or something, and then pour it out and put in whatever he wants?

This is going to be a serious problem, since folks obviously need their medications. Not sure how they'll handle that.

The exception for bottled milk for babies also is very troubling. Terrorists have babies (or can obtain one nefariously) and, as shown on TV, a false bottom allows one to sip from the top of a bottle while concealing the dangerous gel. Wipes and lotions for diaper changes also are exceptions with similar problems. I don't see why the airlines can't require that parents turn these baby items over to a crew member who can lock them up until needed. They should then be used only in full view of a crew member - no taking them to the lavatory.

I really can't understand why a bottle of milk is any less dangerous than a vial of eye drops, for example, just because it accompanies a baby rather than a grandfather.

The above post is interesting. So I guess this means you can buy anything in the duty free shops (including liquids) and bring it on board because it is sealed and brought to the gate by a store employee. You can't put it in your checked luggage because your luggage is already checked in.

So all the terrorist has to do is get a job at one of these shops and then "sell" his liquid item to his fellow terrorist who boards the plane with the "sealed" item. Didn't I read somewhere that one of the arrested terrorists was an employee at Heathrow with a full access pass?I guess they are still a few loopholes in the current liquid ban policy.

Or get a job as crew, maintenance, ground, or food vendor, etc, etc, etc.

There aren't any total guarantees in this life.

I'm all for travel safety and I will do my part to plan and prepare accordingly when I travel but... does anyone else see the irony of trying to prevent potentially explosive liquids from being mixed together by actually dumping the same potentially explosive liquids together in huge barrels?

Bomb making material in a prescription bottle would be a pretty small bomb. Sure, you could take C-4 (gel/plastique) and put it in a prescription bottle. But anything else-I don't think enough volume.

If you really want a good scare-ammonia and bleach in two quart containers combined make enough chlorine gas to kill almost all on a plane.

Pilots on some types of planes have a separate air supply from the cabin. Imagine the terror-plane LANDS with 300 bodies.

Where there is a will, there is a way.

The airport shops will do more of what they do from the US on certain international flights-load the stuff on the plane, in the custody of the FA or Captain, then give it to DISEMBARKING pax at destination. No chance to mix chemicals. Sure, you may have highly explosive chemical COMBINATIONS on the plane with you. But if they can't be mixed in air, there really is no danger.

I'm all for travel safety and I will do my part to plan and prepare accordingly when I travel but... does anyone else see the irony of trying to prevent potentially explosive liquids from being mixed together by actually dumping the same potentially explosive liquids together in huge barrels?

Where are they doing this?

If the liquids are still in containers, there should be VERY little danger (leakage wouldn't even be much of a problem). EPA would have a FIT if potentially lethal chemicals were "dumped" together.

My father heard that yesterday but I've yet to see anything here in So. Cal. Even checked the TSA website. What he heard was that you could buy water at a kiosk that would be delivered to you at the gate prior to boarding. I wonder if different airports are handling it differently. :confused:

is really long overdue, IMO. Anyone who has taken chemistry knows what cyanide pellets and sulfuric acid can do! Just little pills and some clear liquid.

Chemical warfare.

I myself and glad for this restriction. I know that the airlines will provide us with beverages, so it will not really be a hardship at all.

I am still unclear about bringing actual food aboard? Like cheese and crackers etc. For diabetics this is an issue. I would gladly pay for any type of snack, just to stay within guidelines of food intake. (for diabetics)

Archived