Solo: How to Solve the Biggest Obstacle--Price?

Funatabi

Yes, there is something nice about turning 50 (for you) and 60 (for me) . . . especially when you think of the alternative . . . :p I'm a practicing criminal defense attorney and love it. My son often teases me with things like, "Mom, we work so hard to keep those d*** drugs from coming into the United States and you actually defend those that use it!" :confused:

OMG, I was in white collar criminal for a decade and just got out this year; I now work in banking/financing. You have choosen a difficult practice but it certainly keeps you on your toes. And if it is only your son giving you a bit of teasing about your practice, you are blessed. I've been getting grief about working for lawyers for over 25 years. Everyone blames the lawyers until they need one. Still without lawyers there would be no one to enforce the laws and the world would be more chaotic than it already is. Keep up the good fight!

I have to agree with others on this thread concerning the overall value of crusing.

Yes, the cruiseline stick us with the solo supplement, but even with this, you break down the cost of a nice resort or visit to a major city, the savings add up.

For example, I enjoy going to a beach resort on the west coast. By the time you add up car rental, hotel, gas, dining and misc for a week or even a weekend getaway, you can easiy cruise for a week and spend less!

It also pays to check for deals and to seek a travel agent with lots of cruise bookings. Also, if you favor a certain line and sail with them often, you can receive special rates.

One of these days, the cruiselines will view rates in our favor, but for now, just book that dream cruise and enjoy!!

Yes, there is something nice about turning 50 (for you) and 60 (for me) . . . especially when you think of the alternative . . . :p I'm a practicing criminal defense attorney and love it. My son often teases me with things like, "Mom, we work so hard to keep those d*** drugs from coming into the United States and you actually defend those that use it!" :confused:

My aunt has a double whammy. I tease her about being a government employee and a lawyer. I think she's really looking forward to getting to tease me about being a lawyer.:D

• 2 weeks later...
I'l be taking my third cruise, after 13 years. The reason I am going this time is that I found somebody to go with. As a solo, the biggest obstacle to me is the price. :( I can't rationalize paying double to go on vacation.

Also, check out Holland Amerca Line. They don't charge 200% for regular inside and outside staterooms ... more like 140% to 160% on many sailings. Also, if you are not adverse to sharing, they have a guaranteed share program which allows you to pay the normal double occupancy rate that each half of a couple would pay. Then, they will match you with another single of the same gender. If they can't match you, you get the cabin to yourself at no extra charge.

I mostly travel as a single, and I refuse to pay 200% for any sailing. I looked into an NCL sailing right from my own city ... which would have been wonderful considering I wouldn't have to travel to get to the port. When I was told 200%, I said forget it. I'd rather travel to the port and take a line that wasn't so unreasonable to their single passengers.

So, check out HAL. You might find them to be the solution to your problem.

Blue skies ...

--rita

• 3 weeks later...
You don't always have to pay double. Carnival has 1A cabins available at 150% - some of them even have portholes. That's what I always try to book. I can't justify paying double. 150% is bad enough.;)

I posted this information on the Carnival 1A thread - but thought I would tell you all on this thread that the prices have come down for Sept/October on Carnival!

I originally booked a 1A - 2 porthole cabin on the 5 night Celebration in October for $254.00 as a solo. This is an over age 55 price. Today the rate came down to $164.00. I called Carnival - got my gratuities prepaid and a $40 credit. So I saved another $90.00.

You just can't beat that for a 5 night cruise. So anyone that lives close to the ports and can take a last minute cruise - check it out! All the prices are awsome - not just the 55+.

My husband's 32 yr old son wants to try a cruise but since he's our dog sitter, he would only be able to cruise alone. I've checked one of the online sites for a Carnival cruise out of NY in OCT and it showed $499 for a 1A Gty and then when when I filled in the blanks and put in 1 passenger, it came up with $594 plus taxes. Since that's not 150% of the original fare, I don't understand.....Can someone please explain how this works. This was on one of the last minute deal sites.

• 3 weeks later...

How I get lower single fares is by booking on HAL and Carnival.

Roz

Ain't THAT the truth ! When I'm shopping for a cruise vacation, it always seems to come down to those 2 lines. Yesterday my new travel agent told me the same thing that I suspected....that some lines seem to overlook or underappreciate solo travelers. Maybe what these lines seem to be asking is.."Why aren't you married?"

Just yesterday I booked something for next year. It's on CARNIVAL in large part due to this single room supplement issue.

I've been a bit reluctant to consider Carnival because it has a reputation as a party line and while I like a martini in the evening, having good laughs, etc., I'm not an "everyone in the pool" kind of gal, unless I'm with my really good girlfriends and we are drunk! LOL.

Carnival doesn't have to be all party animals. Earlier this year I was on the Legend and didn't cross paths with drunks that much. I went to bed while they drank the night away , I guess.

Hi everyone:

I finally read through all the posts on this thread and it looks like there are a couple of ideas that may have been overlooked. So here's my two cents:

1) Search multiple lines simultaneously using an internet search engine. I realize that most folks have a TA, or prefer booking directly with the line. But even if that is the case, one can still do a search using an internet search engine that pulls up sailings across a spectrum of lines. For instance, I use the search/booking engine provided by my airline. It allows me to search using the criteria I specify: (i.e., departure month, destination, cruise length, etc.) and it also allows me to sort the results from lowest price to highest price.

2) Don't just focus on the supplement; focus on the overall price. It may seem like a great deal to book a sailing with a small supplement, but if the cruise is being sold at catalog price, it may not be such a deal after all. In other words, the actual cost of booking a cruise with a limited single supplement could be higher than a cruise with a full supplement if the latter is deeply discounted to begin with.

As for the idea that "solos pay double" I don't look at it that way. One way to look at it is cost per square foot of cabin space. Say I spend $1000 for a cruise with 200 square feet of cabin space. I have spent $5 per square foot. Now if I only pay $500 for that cruise because I am sharing the cabin with someone, then my total outlay is less, but I only get to use about half the cabin, or 100 square feet. The price per square foot is still $5!

Have a great day! :)

- Paul

You don't always have to pay double. Carnival has 1A cabins available at 150% - some of them even have portholes. That's what I always try to book. I can't justify paying double. 150% is bad enough.;)

I'm booked in a Single 1-A category on the Carnival Conquest which leaves this Saturday for 7 days in the Western Caribbean and I'm only paying 124%. I'm also booked on the Carnival Liberty for October 2007 for 8 days in a 1-A Single, and it's going to only be about 137%.

This will be my 11th cruise, but the first on Carnival and the first as a single. I expect to have a great time, and have heard a lot of good things about Carnival's making a conscious effort to "upgrade" its ships and the onboard experiences.

I'm psyched! I'll try to give a report when I get back.

Allen

I'm sailing with Allen this weekend to the Western Caribbean and found that on the group cruises the single rates are more reasonable than going through an agent solo or direct through the cruiseline.

Also, just because you book with the group doesn't mean you have to be tied to them or do all the things they have planned. Take the extra goodies that you want and have a great time!

I'm sailing with Allen this weekend to the Western Caribbean and found that on the group cruises the single rates are more reasonable than going through an agent solo or direct through the cruiseline.

Also, just because you book with the group doesn't mean you have to be tied to them or do all the things they have planned. Take the extra goodies that you want and have a great time!

What Bonnie said!

The CC group leaders are even helping some of us get shuttles, reserving rooms for some of us, and arranging all kinds of optional onboard activities, including beach excursions to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel, a sail-away party Sunday night, a slots tournament, a farewell party, FORALM happy hours each morning, a group horse race, a group picture, a deck party, a Mardi Gras parade, a pool party on the aft deck, a second cocktail party, a room-crawl party, luggage tags, name tags, door signs, lanyards, optional t-shirts and bubba kegs. There's just no way to feel left-out or isolated. The challenge will be finding the energy and stamina to keep up with everything available. And of course, there's the other option of a deck chair, a good book, and a bucket of Coronas. Life is going to be good!

Allen

A couple of weeks ago I booked a solo NCL Dawn cruise (Oct.29 - Nov.5) that was deeply discounted and had a zero suppliment to boot - below $500.00 including port taxes. It was for an outside with porthole guranteed but was upgraded to an outside with picture window. The TA thought it was an error at first. :) I then got r/t air from O'Hare to LaGuardia for 158.00 total. Obviously, I am a happy camper. The deals are out there, just need to be dilligent.

I wish now I would have booked 2 back-to-back because the previous sailing had the same offer. :)

Tom

My husband's 32 yr old son wants to try a cruise but since he's our dog sitter, he would only be able to cruise alone. I've checked one of the online sites for a Carnival cruise out of NY in OCT and it showed $499 for a 1A Gty and then when when I filled in the blanks and put in 1 passenger, it came up with $594 plus taxes. Since that's not 150% of the original fare, I don't understand.....Can someone please explain how this works. This was on one of the last minute deal sites.

If you book close to the cruise, the supplement is less. I booked a 1A on the Legend (for the end of Sept) 8 weeks away from sailing. Two weeks before the sailing the price had come down so much that they bumped me up to a balcony room and gave me an OBC of $100!! I guess it probably depends on inventory left.

Hi,

I have been on both Carnival and HAL many times because both of those cruise lines have reasonable “single fares". I can not say the same for Celebrity Cruise Line – while I like their ships, I am tired of paying 200%.

I know that each cruise line puts out a weekly special - does anyone have the web address where I can find Princess’s?

Thanks,

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
You need to be vigilant and look for bargains. If you can, see if you can find last minute deals. I know Celebrity has what they call Happy Hour specials on their website and sometimes they forgo the single supplement. You also can look for two for one deals. That's where you pay just the first person fare and no single supplement. I got one of those on Regent and the cost was really decent.

When do they run these "Happy Hour" specials??

Hi, Happy Hours are run every Tuesday.

If you post a thread over on the Celebrity Board I think someone

over there should have the link and will probably post

it for you.

I have the link but it is on my pc at work.

I will post it on here for you next week if you prefer.

Good luck:)

Hi, Happy Hours are run every Tuesday.

If you post a thread over on the Celebrity Board I think someone

over there should have the link and will probably post

it for you.

I have the link but it is on my pc at work.

I will post it on here for you next week if you prefer.

Good luck:)

Thanks for the reply!! I will try Tuesday to look up sailings, but please still send link for me

Hi,:) here is the link for you to the Happy Hours

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/XcitingDeals_CEL_tues.pdf

Hope it helps. The cruises change most every

week. Sometimes there are more, sometimes less,

sometimes none show up.

Thank You!! Now I can check for upcoming trips. Hopefully one for a 10 or 11 trip pop up!!

Hi,:) glad I could help. Just remember, Happy Hour sailings

are usually very close in..within sometimes only 4-6 weeks ahead.

Hope you are able to take time off without too much

notice;)

Hi Nanci:) I don't know. (That is an honest reply). I guess

she doesn't do it anymore:eek: and sorry you never get a reply.

I guess she chose not to send one bulk mailing out to say

anything about it.

I never get anything either.

Maybe you could call the company she works for and see

if they know anything.

I have no answers.

Hi Nanci:) I don't know. (That is an honest reply). I guess

she doesn't do it anymore:eek: and sorry you never get a reply.

I guess she chose not to send one bulk mailing out to say

anything about it.

I never get anything either.

Maybe you could call the company she works for and see

if they know anything.

I have no answers.

HI LOIS: I thought maybe you heard from Amber.....guess she is not doing singles cruises anymore. One day when you come through Pt. Everglades maybe we can get together again. I have not been to Bravo's since !

Archived