Solo: How to Solve the Biggest Obstacle--Price?

Funatabi

I'l be taking my third cruise, after 13 years. The reason I am going this time is that I found somebody to go with. As a solo, the biggest obstacle to me is the price. :( I can't rationalize paying double to go on vacation.

I'm hoping to find and share info here as to the best ways to get around this big obstacle because I really like going on cruises. Once I've got a decent price, things like onboard dining options, things to do, excursions, meeting people, will work themselves out, I feel.

I will be looking to see how to get the best prices, but I feel a little discouraged after reading some of the cruise lines policies.

Sorry I can't add much now as I've only just begun looking, but I'm glad there is this site for us solo people.

Thanks for adding this to the Special Interest Category

Welcome to CC and the Solo board. If you scroll down, there have been numerous posts and discussions on this topic.

How I get lower single fares is by booking on HAL and Carnival.

Roz

You don't always have to pay double. Carnival has 1A cabins available at 150% - some of them even have portholes. That's what I always try to book. I can't justify paying double. 150% is bad enough.;)

Believe me . . . I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagnation. However, I agree with Cotton. Paying 150% of what a couple would pay is fantastic! Thus the reason I cruise with Carnival. If you want to take a cruise and don't have anyone to cruise with . . . save your pennies and book a cruise on Carnival on a 1A cabin. You'll receive the same treatment those in a suite receive and . . . you'll be on a cruise!!!!!!!!

You need to be vigilant and look for bargains. If you can, see if you can find last minute deals. I know Celebrity has what they call Happy Hour specials on their website and sometimes they forgo the single supplement. You also can look for two for one deals. That's where you pay just the first person fare and no single supplement. I got one of those on Regent and the cost was really decent.

Thanks for the input. I guess it will be worth the effort, I just have to look a little harder. It's good to know about the 1A cabins on Carnival happy hour deals, etc. When I get ready for my next cruise, I'll start our early planning.

I don't want to sound negative...but aren't the Happy Hour deals pretty close to a sailing date? If so, that makes it expensive for the flight. For those close to a port...it's great...wish I did.

The best deals I've had are Carnival in an A1 with portholes.....mind you the cruise was in September...hurricane season...but it didn't affect my cruise.

Just keep looking....something will come up.

I think one of the things that, at least for me, justifies paying nearly double for a cabin when traveling solo is when I look at what it costs to go to Europe (or anywhere else for that matter) for a seven day vacation. Between the cost of the hotel room, the travel between cities and all the entertainment . . . a cruise is still a lot less expensive. I spent a week in Ireland three years ago and paid more than double what I did for my cruise that year (even minus the air fare and it's a lot more expensive to fly to Ireland than it is to Miami). I just love only having to unpack once and getting to visit so many ports. Though I still love non-cruise vacations . . . cruising gives you a heck of a lot for the dollar . . . even when traveling solo.

I'm on a repositioning cruise, 12 nights, in October in a superior outside cabin and got a very good rate, even paying double. I've been told that repositioning cruises are cheaper and longer, both of which suit me well.

I've not been on Carnival, what is a A-1 cabin. I assume it is on a lower floor but is it significantly smaller than their regular outside cabins?

Try booking a category "1A garentee".

You'll still have to pay the single supplement, but will have a good chance of getting a nice upgrade to a higher category.

I've gotten these kind of upgrads twice myself.

Once onboard, paying that extra single supplement doesn't seem quite so bad if you've been assigned to a oceanview cabin, or Balcony suite! (no garentees, but it's worth a try:-) (it's also fun to book a 1A garentee, and then keep your eye on the "kelly-method" to see if you've been assigned a cabin yet the last few weeks before your sailing date. I was keeping my eye on it 2 years ago on the Spirit, and was EXSTATIC when I saw that I had been assigned to a balcony suite just 1 week before I was to depart.

The only problem now is that I never want to cruise without a balcony;-)

I'm on a repositioning cruise, 12 nights, in October in a superior outside cabin and got a very good rate, even paying double. I've been told that repositioning cruises are cheaper and longer, both of which suit me well.

I've not been on Carnival, what is a A-1 cabin. I assume it is on a lower floor but is it significantly smaller than their regular outside cabins?

An A-1 cabin is an inside cabin with two twin bed (at least I think that's what it is). It's what I had when I cruised on Celebrity in 2003. However, when I was on Carnival's Triumph in 2004, I was in Cabin 2444. My PVP assured me that it was an outside cabin with an inside price. From the pictures in the Carnival brochure, it looked like it was a cabin with bunk beds and no window. Wrong! The entire side of the cabin was nothing but a huge window. It was fantastic! I kept looking for the bed that was supposed to come out of the ceiling but never found it. My steward finally told me that the sofa in my cabin made into a bed. I had a huge room with one twin bed and a huge window. I'm leaving on September 2nd . . . again on the Triumph and will have the same cabin across the hall (there are only two). For someone traveling solo . . . it's the best of two worlds . . . an outside cabin for an inside cabin price. :p

An A-1 cabin is an inside cabin with two twin bed (at least I think that's what it is). It's what I had when I cruised on Celebrity in 2003. However, when I was on Carnival's Triumph in 2004, I was in Cabin 2444. My PVP assured me that it was an outside cabin with an inside price. From the pictures in the Carnival brochure, it looked like it was a cabin with bunk beds and no window. Wrong! The entire side of the cabin was nothing but a huge window. It was fantastic! I kept looking for the bed that was supposed to come out of the ceiling but never found it. My steward finally told me that the sofa in my cabin made into a bed. I had a huge room with one twin bed and a huge window. I'm leaving on September 2nd . . . again on the Triumph and will have the same cabin across the hall (there are only two). For someone traveling solo . . . it's the best of two worlds . . . an outside cabin for an inside cabin price. :p

That sounds so great!! I've been a bit reluctant to consider Carnival because it has a reputation as a party line and while I like a martini in the evening, having good laughs, etc., I'm not an "everyone in the pool" kind of gal, unless I'm with my really good girlfriends and we are drunk! LOL.

That sounds so great!! I've been a bit reluctant to consider Carnival because it has a reputation as a party line and while I like a martini in the evening, having good laughs, etc., I'm not an "everyone in the pool" kind of gal, unless I'm with my really good girlfriends and we are drunk! LOL.

Believe me . . . I'm not either! I too like a martini in the evening and a foo foo drink (or two) by the pool but I'm not into the "drink till you drop" kind of cruise that I had always heard Carnival was. Took a lot for me to jump in and try Carnival several years ago (especially after my cruise on Celebrity). But I'll tell you . . . Carnival is a lot of fun . . . it's really no different than any other moderately priced cruise line. Truth be known . . . I found Carnival to be full of more families than just about any cruise line I've been on. I'm sure there was the party crowd but . . . frankly, I didn't see it. Maybe it's because I was usually in bed around one and the party didn't get going until after one. I don't know but I do know that I enjoyed my last cruise on Triumph and am really looking forward to my next cruise on her in about two weeks. And . . . my cruise on Carnival's Pride in January with my son . . . :p

There are a few cruise lines that do NOT charge a single supplement. I booked a cruise with Discovery Cruise line for their September Baltic cruise and I did not have to pay a single supplement. Another cruise line to consider is Cruise West - they have 2 single rooms on several of their ships that do not require a single supplement.

Other "single freindly" lines are Crystal (125%), RSSC (115%), and Silverseas (110 - 125%). If you are 50+ you might also consider Saga Holidays.

There are a few cruise lines that do NOT charge a single supplement. I booked a cruise with Discovery Cruise line for their September Baltic cruise and I did not have to pay a single supplement. Another cruise line to consider is Cruise West - they have 2 single rooms on several of their ships that do not require a single supplement.

Other "single freindly" lines are Crystal (125%), RSSC (115%), and Silverseas (110 - 125%). If you are 50+ you might also consider Saga Holidays.

Hi numberscritter:) Crystal, RSSC and Silverseas all have lower

supplements but the cruise itself is much more expensive

(for me anyway).

So a lower supplement doesn't always help.

I've been on the Star Princess (to Alaska) and Carnival's Miracle (NY-Canada) and, IMO, these two ships were more alike than different.

In fact, I like the Spirit class ship (Carnival) more than the Grand class ship (Princess). Loved the openness of the upper decks on the Spirit class ship, the 1A deals and more solo friendly policies, and entertainment on Carnival's ships.

I enjoyed both my trips and would choose future trips by itinerary, date, and the best solo friendly prices I could get.

Faith

Believe me . . . I'm not either! I too like a martini in the evening and a foo foo drink (or two) by the pool but I'm not into the "drink till you drop" kind of cruise that I had always heard Carnival was. Took a lot for me to jump in and try Carnival several years ago (especially after my cruise on Celebrity). But I'll tell you . . . Carnival is a lot of fun . . . it's really no different than any other moderately priced cruise line. Truth be known . . . I found Carnival to be full of more families than just about any cruise line I've been on. I'm sure there was the party crowd but . . . frankly, I didn't see it. Maybe it's because I was usually in bed around one and the party didn't get going until after one. I don't know but I do know that I enjoyed my last cruise on Triumph and am really looking forward to my next cruise on her in about two weeks. And . . . my cruise on Carnival's Pride in January with my son . . . :p

Lady Caveat, Thanks for the response. I immediately surfed to the Carnival website because I'm planning a cruise to Panama next year and they list Panama as a destination but don't have any cruises going there as far as I can tell. I searched using open dates and nada. Bummer! Maybe they don't have their sailing calendar set for 2007 yet, so I'll check again before I book.

Lady Caveat, Thanks for the response. I immediately surfed to the Carnival website because I'm planning a cruise to Panama next year and they list Panama as a destination but don't have any cruises going there as far as I can tell. I searched using open dates and nada. Bummer! Maybe they don't have their sailing calendar set for 2007 yet, so I'll check again before I book.

Ginnie, I have Carnival's brochure for cruises for 2006 to 2008. Sorry, you're right . . . no cruises to Panama. But they have cruises to the Bahamas, Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean, Canada and New England, Alaska and Hawaii . . . :)

I'm in total agreement with LadyC. I've seen as many families as I have partiers. Carnival's OLD rep is long gone...really. I'm sure you could find a good party in the early morning hours, but as far as generally speaking - nope, no party hardy atmosphere. Just folks having a great time.

Most of my cruises have been on Carnival ships, and I have seen very little differences. All great fun, and in my case - a lotta relaxation!:)

Ginnie, I have Carnival's brochure for cruises for 2006 to 2008. Sorry, you're right . . . no cruises to Panama. But they have cruises to the Bahamas, Eastern, Western and Southern Caribbean, Canada and New England, Alaska and Hawaii . . . :)

Lady Caveat, You are so sweet to check, thank you! I wasn't sure I was running the search correctly. Originally I had planned to go to Panama this Fall on HAL's Volendam (sp?) but, frankly, I was scared off by asking dress questions on the HAL boards. I always dress appropriately but I must say the whole dress issue for women on some cruises almost seems more important than the cruise itself. In any case, I booked the Bermuda/Carribean cruise I'm going on in October, but next it is Panama or bust (LOL). Royal Carribean has a cruise that works time-wise and although it is more I could book a balcony!!

Where are you and your son cruising to in January? It must be nice to have kids to take with you sometimes.

Lady Caveat, You are so sweet to check, thank you! I wasn't sure I was running the search correctly. Originally I had planned to go to Panama this Fall on HAL's Volendam (sp?) but, frankly, I was scared off by asking dress questions on the HAL boards. I always dress appropriately but I must say the whole dress issue for women on some cruises almost seems more important than the cruise itself. In any case, I booked the Bermuda/Carribean cruise I'm going on in October, but next it is Panama or bust (LOL). Royal Carribean has a cruise that works time-wise and although it is more I could book a balcony!!

Where are you and your son cruising to in January? It must be nice to have kids to take with you sometimes.

Ginnie, my twenty-nine year old son will be taking me on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera out of Long Beach, California for my 60th birthday. Not only is he taking me . . . he's paying for it! :D My son is a helicopter pilot with the Coast Guard stationed in Miami and it's always so nice to be able to spend a few days with him before and after my cruisies out of Miami. This will be the first time the two of us have cruised together since he was fifteen and we went to Alaska . . . :p

Ginnie, my twenty-nine year old son will be taking me on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera out of Long Beach, California for my 60th birthday. Not only is he taking me . . . he's paying for it! :D My son is a helicopter pilot with the Coast Guard stationed in Miami and it's always so nice to be able to spend a few days with him before and after my cruisies out of Miami. This will be the first time the two of us have cruised together since he was fifteen and we went to Alaska . . . :p

Lady Caveat, you raised one fine son, good on you! It is always so nice to hear when children (I know he is full grown) love, appreciate and, more importantly, want to spend time with their parents. Many parents aren't as blessed as you are, but obviously you did several things right in raising him. And an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm turning the big 5-0 in March and am looking forward to it--hard to believe, huh? But this is the best time of my life. Please let us know how your birthday celebration cruise goes.

Cotton, thanks for the second on Carnival. I am going to give it a try after my Panama cruise and book an A1 cabin! Woo Hoo!

Lady Caveat, you raised one fine son, good on you! It is always so nice to hear when children (I know he is full grown) love, appreciate and, more importantly, want to spend time with their parents. Many parents aren't as blessed as you are, but obviously you did several things right in raising him. And an early HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm turning the big 5-0 in March and am looking forward to it--hard to believe, huh? But this is the best time of my life. Please let us know how your birthday celebration cruise goes.

Cotton, thanks for the second on Carnival. I am going to give it a try after my Panama cruise and book an A1 cabin! Woo Hoo!

Ginnie . . . you are so sweet . . . thank you! Yes, as probably anyone that regularly posts on these boards will tell you . . . I brag about my son every chance I get. After going through a divorce with his mom when he was 6 and then a second divorce when he was 16 . . . what everone says about how kids from broken homes turn out have never met my kid. He has a mom that has told him since he was tiny that he could do whatever he wanted to (meaning . . . being the best he could possibly be) . . . he also has a dad and stepmom that I love to death that have always told him the same thing. He also has a step-dad (and we won't go into how I feel about my second husband's wife) . . . anyway . . . a very good step-dad. When our son gratudated with a degree in archicturre (a master's never the less . . . in five years of college) and told us he was going into the Coast Gurard . . . well, lets just say the entire "extended" family thought he had lost his mind. Now, eight years later . . . as a pilot of the Coast Guard's HH65 helicopter who does search and rescue, drug intervention and securing our boarders . . . we couldn't be prouder.

You're turning 50 in March? I was in law school when I turned 50 (graduated at 52) . . . I don't even remember turning 50. But 60? Oh my goodness . . . I think I have officially become a "senior citizen" . . . oh parish the thought . . . I've never even gotten used to being called "middle aged." Actually, I think I am a 30 year old in the body of a 50 year old with the mind set of a 20 year old . . . tee hee!!!!!!

Lady Caveat, Holy smokes(!), your son is greatly loved, always a good thing. I guess the saying, "it take a village" does work. But what caught my eye was your graduating from law school at 52! I've been a legal secretary for 26 years (in the Della Street mode) working with senior partners my entire career and still enjoy it. Are you practicing? I can't imagine being a first year associate at this stage of my life, 200 hours a month in billables would kill me.

People (both men and women) think I'm crazy to be so excited about turning 50 (it takes everything I have not to claim being 50 now!). I thoroughly enjoyed a wildly misspent youth that lasted until I was 46 (LOL) and now have the great good fortune of having time and money to live my life the way I choose. I don't care if people say I'm middle-aged because that would mean I'm going to live to 100, but I agree with you that I don't feel middle-aged either. There is a woman I know who is 72 and participates in triathlons once a month. She is my hero and role model.

Rock on, Lady Caveat!

Lady Caveat, Holy smokes(!), your son is greatly loved, always a good thing. I guess the saying, "it take a village" does work. But what caught my eye was your graduating from law school at 52! I've been a legal secretary for 26 years (in the Della Street mode) working with senior partners my entire career and still enjoy it. Are you practicing? I can't imagine being a first year associate at this stage of my life, 200 hours a month in billables would kill me.

People (both men and women) think I'm crazy to be so excited about turning 50 (it takes everything I have not to claim being 50 now!). I thoroughly enjoyed a wildly misspent youth that lasted until I was 46 (LOL) and now have the great good fortune of having time and money to live my life the way I choose. I don't care if people say I'm middle-aged because that would mean I'm going to live to 100, but I agree with you that I don't feel middle-aged either. There is a woman I know who is 72 and participates in triathlons once a month. She is my hero and role model.

Rock on, Lady Caveat!

Yes, there is something nice about turning 50 (for you) and 60 (for me) . . . especially when you think of the alternative . . . :p I'm a practicing criminal defense attorney and love it. My son often teases me with things like, "Mom, we work so hard to keep those d*** drugs from coming into the United States and you actually defend those that use it!" :confused:

Archived