Stolen Cameras! Enchantment Sailed 8-10 from Ft. Lauderdale

Just returned from our very first cruise (as a surprise for my Wife's 40th birthday) On the last night (8-13-06) we ate in the Windjammer and sat at a 2-person table next to the window on the starboard (right) side. We both got up (me for more iced tea, my wife for dessert) and came back only a few mintues later to find our camera bag gone. It had both our Sony camcorder, and our Sony digital camera, along with accessories like light, extra lense, etc. I know it a long shot, but thought I'd post to see if annyone saw anything. And for what it is worth - to whomever - keep the cameras and accessories, we just want the memory sticks and 2 MiniDV tapes - PLEASE!.

Eaves

7901 Victory Blvd.

Newport, AR 72112

it really killed the excitement of our first cruise! To see my wife crying when departing the ship was hard. So much for the nice surprise cruise.

I am so sorry this happened to you. Most people are honest, but those few who aren't can really put a black cloud over a wonderful vacation.

Other than this disheartening experience, I hope your vacation was great. What a wonderful 40th birthday present.

I hoped that you checked with the Pursor's desk. A similar thing happened to us, as we left the camera on the end table in a lounge. Sure enough a waiter had turned it in to the pursor's desk. I am sure it takes a little time, but they do keep a log of Lost & Found.

I had a brand new Canon camera stolen from my cabin on Carnival Fascination. I was by myself and left it in my cabin when I went to eat dinner, when I came back and wanted to take a picture of the towel animal, there was no camera. I called security and they came and went thru everything in my cabin - even inside the life preservers - the camera was never found! It had all my Key West pictures - and I really wanted that film back.

So sorry this happened to you and your wife.

Just returned from our very first cruise (as a surprise for my Wife's 40th birthday) On the last night (8-13-06) we ate in the Windjammer and sat at a 2-person table next to the window on the starboard (right) side. We both got up (me for more iced tea, my wife for dessert) and came back only a few mintues later to find our camera bag gone. It had both our Sony camcorder, and our Sony digital camera, along with accessories like light, extra lense, etc. I know it a long shot, but thought I'd post to see if annyone saw anything. And for what it is worth - to whomever - keep the cameras and accessories, we just want the memory sticks and 2 MiniDV tapes - PLEASE!.

Eaves

7901 Victory Blvd.

Newport, AR 72112

it really killed the excitement of our first cruise! To see my wife crying when departing the ship was hard. So much for the nice surprise cruise.

I hope you checked lost and found!

To me, this seems like a case of a dilligent RCCL employee finding these items and turning them in to lost and found - not some thief out to steal your belongings...

Welcome to cruise critic BTW, as I see you are a brand new poster........

We were on that same cruise but unfortunately didn't eat in the Windjammer that night. Hopefully it was just one of the crew members - I left my sunglasses in the theater and before I could run back and get them - literally 1 minute later, the crew had already been through and sat them up on the end of the line of seats. The wait staff in the Windjammer was very fast to clean the tables and with both of you gone might have though the table was vacated. I hope you find them!

The same thing happened to me a couple years ago. We were sitting in a public area and got up to leave. Had only walked about 30' when I realized I didn't have it. Ran back and it was gone. We did check with lost and found and asked several people sitting in the area it they'd seen anyone pick it up but no one had. If someone wanted my camera enough to steal it they could have it. What made me sick was losing my video! That couldm't be replaced.

Did you have travel insurance? Be sure to turn it in if you do. Luckily I did and it paid for my camera.

Also, I see you are from Newport? I live in Pocahontas!

Thanks for the kind words everyone! The cruise was fantastic, would have been nice to see all the pics we took and be able to share them with our 3 daughters!

We did check with the pursers desk about 7-8 times. We even (I know it sounds crazy) sat and watched everyone leave to see if we could catch a glimpse of our camera bag (really probably knowing it was in checked luggage) - but we were desperate and did everything we could.

Side note: The Australian lady at guest services actually asked me - "sir - what would you do if you found something nice like that" I told her I would turn it in without a doubt! I can't belive she said that! She was VERY unsympathetic.

Anyway, we searched everywhere (many times), did fil out a report, called the RCI ph. # and a lady said it takes about 1 week for all items to make it to where she is - but that she would call me either way! So, against all odds, we have our fingers crossed!!

Side note: The Australian lady at guest services actually asked me - "sir - what would you do if you found something nice like that" I told her I would turn it in without a doubt! I can't belive she said that! She was VERY unsympathetic......................................................................

Now that is a quote from, IMO, a dishonest person. One which I would have trouble trusting at the very least. In reality what she just said was if you were a crew member who found this, would you turn it in? Indicating to me she didn't think highly of the crews, or her, honesty. Even if it did make it to her she was giving some insight to what she would do.

I'm sorry you lost your camera. Unfortunately, I think a lot of us have been there with leaving something and walking off for a few minutes. We'd all like to think people are honest.

Side note: The Australian lady at guest services actually asked me - "sir - what would you do if you found something nice like that" I told her I would turn it in without a doubt! I can't belive she said that! She was VERY unsympathetic.

UGH! Makes me ill that she would say that. I would have had to add "Well, I wouldn't be a THIEF and STEAL it!" One of our cruises my husband realized he had lost his wallet. He had just been sitting on a bench and we figured it had fallen out there. We went back there and we didn't see it but the gentlement sitting there asked "Are you looking for a wallet?" and we said yes! He said he had seen it and just turned it in. We were very lucky. There are some decent people still left in this world!

I had a memory chip fall out of ur digital camera the 2nd to last night in the disco, and I too was soooo bummed bec/of all the great pics we had taken. I went to purser's desk several times on the last day and it never turned up...low and behold we saw some folks right before dinner on the LAST night that we chatted with in the disco the night before and just by chance mentioned how we were bummed that memory chip dropped out of camera when I dropped it...and they were like...hey someone in our group found one...and she was in the viking lounge at that same time...he called her over and she said yea, I found it thinking it was mine, but didn't fit my camera and it;s in the safe back in my cabin and she literally walked w/me at that moment back to the cabin and gave it to me...AND IT WAS IT! The lucky chances out of 3200+ passengers on the last night to have it back.

I HOPE lost and found will find yours!!!! I truly know the feeling..to me it was more the pics then anything.

On my last cruise onboard the AOS back in the 2003, my girlfriend was at one of the bars with my Sony Camera, She put the camera in front of her at the counter, when She left, realized that she forgot the camera, just for 15 seconds, immediately she returned to the bar and guest what, the camera wasn't there where she left it. She asks the bartender and the people that were around her, no one saw the camera, we went to the purser’s desk everyday for the rest of the cruise with no luck. We lost all the pictures we took from the beginning of the cruise.

Good luck with getting your cameras back, hope they find their way home. This is one of the reasons that I take my laptop with me and download pics every day. That way, if I lose a camera or memory chip, at least I still have the pics. Just a thought.

I left my camera on a pool chair and when I remembered it and went back for the camera someone had turned it into the pool bar.

I read a post where someone puts their mailing label on all their items. It wouldnt help though if someone purposely stole your belongings though. Check with your homeowners insurance if you dont have travelers insurance.

This was not on a cruise but I had put my prescription glasses down in the ladies washroom in Disney World and forgot them. When I returned 10 minutes later gone. Who would want someone else's prescription glasses.

It's too bad that someone stole the original posters cameras. However, this just underscores the fact that a cruise ship is not some sort of paradise. You need to exercise appropriate caution no matter where you are, even if you are on vacaction. If you wouldn't leave an item unattended at a restaurant back home then you can't leave that item unattended on a ship.

I feel so bad for you, I know how I would feel if that happened to me. Actually, it did, but at an airport. We had our address label on the camera, with our phone number, but it was never returned.

I once left my purse on the back of a chair at the pool, the very first day of the cruise. We left to attend the muster drill and I did not realize it was gone until after (probably 30-45 minutes). When I returned to search, I was amazed it was still in the same place, no one had touched it and the dirty drink glasses were even still there! Never have I been so happy, we had a lot of cash in that purse.

I'm hoping that lost and found does recover it for you, please let us know if they do!

Oh you are kidding! What kind of question was that?????

I am so sorry that you had that kind of experience. I know I would be just sick if my cameras were taken...more for the moments lost than for the price of the cameras. :(

I lost my camera bag with a minolta camera, lens, and film, etc. serval years ago while traveling, after retracing steps and numerous phone calls with no luck, it occurred to me that even if an honest person found it, there was no way they could return it even if they wanted to.

From now on, all my camera, bags, and even memory cards are equipped with name and address information. Its worth a shot, if an honest person finds it and wants to return it. Expensive lesson well learned.

Mommy3 or anyone else that sailed on the Enchantment 8/10. I know this sounds crazy but since both our cameras were stolen, any chance that someone would mind sharing some photos with me. I'm trying hard to salvage this birrthday suprise cruise for my wife. Pics of the ship, Key West, Cozumel, anything would be nice since it is the same tim that we sailed.

Thanks so much!!

my personal email is bugeyes@mac.com

Hope someone was honest & turned in your camera & it just hasn't reached you yet. Last month a girlfriend & I went on Carnival Victory to Nova Scotia. My friend put her brand new camera & bag down while writing a postcard at Peggy's Cover lighthouse & walked out without it. As we were walking around the grounds looking to take pictures she realized it was missing. Ran back down to lighthouse - not there..gift shop, rest., etc. not there. She left her name, address & home phone # figuring maybe it will eventually show up. As we are in the cab, now about 45 minutes from Peggy's Cove, her cell phone rings - her husband who is not on trip with us calling...screaming..."Did you lose that new camera!!??? Why is someplace in Nova Scotia calling that they have our camera!!???" Sometimes it just takes a little time for it to be turned in & the rightful owner contacted. My friend jokes that it is always my prayers to St. Anthony that turns these things up. Hey, I'll put in a request for you!

(By the way, the place had a tour bus heading to the dock area deliver the camera to the ship. Carnival put in it's computer that my friend had a package waiting & as we boarded the ship at the end of the day & she swiped her card getting on it came up with an alert for staff to get her package. Then again when we were disembarking a reminder to take the package. Wonderful system & consciencious staff.) Hope you have a similiar outcome.

Buggeyes, We were on this cruise,

Wish I could help you out 99% of our pictures had me or my wife or our friends in it. We did not take general photos of the ship or ports, I will check again to see if something would work and I will check with my buddy and his wife.

Scoop

I lost my camera bag with a minolta camera, lens, and film, etc. serval years ago while traveling, after retracing steps and numerous phone calls with no luck, it occurred to me that even if an honest person found it, there was no way they could return it even if they wanted to.

From now on, all my camera, bags, and even memory cards are equipped with name and address information. Its worth a shot, if an honest person finds it and wants to return it. Expensive lesson well learned.

I will be placing id information on my camera and bag tonight!! I never let it out of my sight on a cruise, but you just never know!!!

Archived