Monitoring seat selections

RTLS

This is our first time booking Oceania and taking the flight deviation so, on advice from this board. I think it would be a good idea to keep an eye on our seats.

We are on Lufthansa and not leaving until next April and our current seat assignments given to us by our TA look pretty good. However on the confirmation from Oceania seat assignmnets are not mentioned and when I entered our confirmation number into the Lufthansa "My bookings" page, I come up with all details except seat assignments.

Does anyone know what, if anything, I'm doing wrong and how I'd go about keeping a check on the situation.

Thanks so much.

As I mentioned, Bebe, I already have seats booked thru a TA - just want to keep an eye to make sure they are not changed. Thanks anyway.

LHT28,

WhenI go to the "My bookings" page, there is a spot to put in a confirmation number for any bookings not made on line. I do this and get all details of our bookngs showing all is confirmed but I cannot see anything about seat selection. Am I missing something?

Thanks

LHT28,

WhenI go to the "My bookings" page, there is a spot to put in a confirmation number for any bookings not made on line. I do this and get all details of our bookngs showing all is confirmed but I cannot see anything about seat selection. Am I missing something?

Thanks

I am not familiar with that airlines setup. I was looking at my AA flights when I click on "view my reservation"

It opens a page with the flight numbers times & city codes the cabin catagory/code it also has a box that has "seat selection" it has my seats listed but I can also click on "select" and make changes.

You could call Lufthansa and ask how you can view the seats.

Check http://www.seatguru.com to see where you are located on the plane

Yes, thanks, it does look as if I'll have to call Lufthansa to see if there is an online capability to check seats.

Meantime, I went to "www.checkmytrip.com" as suggested by the TA and this brings me to the Oceania Air Services website. On the 2nd page of my details, there is a note of the seat assignments. Of course there's also a note saying that these seats are not guaranteed!

I did check seatguru and it looks like we're getting "regular" seats, nothing special but nothing bad.

I like the Lufthansa configuration of the Airbus (which is our sheduled plane), it has 2 seats on either side and 4 centre. As we have 2 at the side, we get a window and an aisle and no middle seat. Always good.

Thanks for you interest.

• 1 year later...

what happened with the flight? Did you end up with the seats you and your travel agent had thought you reserved? If you did, did you have to do regular follow ups before getting to the airport?

I'm in a similar situation (I think) and would be interested in your experience.

Thanks!

We were on the 11/10 - 11/24, Istanbul to Barcelona and took the deviation and with our TA we selected seats in April '07. We were flying LAX to Frankfurt on Lufthansa and then on to Istanbul. We were unable to select seats on the Frankfurt - Istanbul flights until we checked in at LAX. Everything else that was selected including the two flights home on Delta worked out perfectly with the seats that we had selected.

I went on to Checkmytrip .com.I did deviation with O to Delta.JFK to Istanbul July 3,The seats oceania gave me where not to my liking.I called Delta and changed them and got comfirmation of the new seats from there site.The Checkmytrip still shows the old seats.When I go to Deltas site and check there seats for that flight the seats I changed show they are assigned and the seats on Checkmy trip where not assigned.Hope this clears it up LOL.

I went on to Checkmytrip .com.I did deviation with O to Delta.JFK to Istanbul July 3,The seats oceania gave me where not to my liking.I called Delta and changed them and got comfirmation of the new seats from there site.The Checkmytrip still shows the old seats.When I go to Deltas site and check there seats for that flight the seats I changed show they are assigned and the seats on Checkmy trip where not assigned.Hope this clears it up LOL.

Thanks for your reply Acrusa, but it doesn't address my question because (fortunately for you) you actually got confirmation from Delta on the assignment. I understand that the OP never got any kind of confirmation from anyone.

But to understand your situation, you got the confirmation from Delta and this overrode any other information anyone else, including CheckMyTrip, provided.

I'd be most interested in Lufthansa flights and seat selection. I'm flying Toronto-Frankfurt-Rome (Lufthansa) there and Rome-Toronto (Air Canada) back and don't want to be seated together for all segments.

Taklya, I wasn't able to pre-select the seats for the Frankfurt-Rome connecting flight (not a big deal since it's not too long a flight) either but was able to for the Toronto-Frankfurt segment. However, like RTLS (who I would be most interested in hearing from on his/her experience since it seems to parallel my situation), I do not have anything confirmed regarding which seats are mine. Hearing stories of backroom switching makes me a little nervous.

Thanks.

Taklya, I wasn't able to pre-select the seats for the Frankfurt-Rome connecting flight (not a big deal since it's not too long a flight) either but was able to for the Toronto-Frankfurt segment. However, like RTLS (who I would be most interested in hearing from on his/her experience since it seems to parallel my situation), I do not have anything confirmed regarding which seats are mine. Hearing stories of backroom switching makes me a little nervous.

Thanks.

Do you have an airline booking number?

If you have A/C account check in then go to "manage my bookings" the flight should show up then you can select your seats or call AC directly.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/traveller/viewbooking/index.html

I have never been able to get seat on the 2nd leg of a flight until check-in at the gate

Do you have an airline booking number?

If you have A/C account check in then go to "manage my bookings" the flight should show up then you can select your seats or call AC directly.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/traveller/viewbooking/index.html

I have never been able to get seat on the 2nd leg of a flight until check-in at the gate

Hi LHT28,

Thanks for your reply.

No, I don't have a booking number (Does AC and LH have the same booking number style, because if they don't, then how would I know which airline has my booking? I know AC's is "XXXXXX").

Just to clarify, I called Lufthansa's Canadian reservation number and actually selected seats for Toronto-Frankfurt (LH flight) *and* Rome-Toronto (AC flight) without difficulty. The problem however is that I've done this but there's still apparently no guarantee that these are the seats I'll be given when I check in at the airports.

While these seats have been reserved, they have not been confirmed, and the agent specifically told me that they cannot be confirmed (actually, I asked for an email confirmation of the seat selection and she said she couldn't send me anything because the ticket's haven't been issued yet (huh?)).

I think RTLS went through the same scenario as me and that's why I'd like to know what happened with his/her LH (and AC?) flights.

Thanks.

Hi LHT28,

Thanks for your reply.

No, I don't have a booking number (Does AC and LH have the same booking number style, because if they don't, then how would I know which airline has my booking? I know AC's is "XXXXXX").

Thanks.

When you spoke with LH did they give you the booking number?

Ask your TA for the booking number ...I am not sure when you are travelling so tickets may not be issued till after final payment is made to O

As I recall all airline tickets have a booking number of 8 letters & digits ( i think it is 8)

Once the tickets are printed then re check the seat selection.

AC & LH code share

The question to ask is what is your "PNR" number. That is the number that all airlines reference. Once you have the PNR you should be able to get a confirmed seat assignment.

As someone else mentioned, there are code share arrangements. For example, you may book a UA flight number but be on LH metal. In most cases UA, in this case, could give you the seat assignment. But, if UA will not give the seat assignment, you might need to call LH. Don't be put off by one airline not being willing to confirm a seat assignment.

However, you do need to watch the assignments because they can change. Most often the cause of a seat change is a different aircraft type being assigned to the flight OR a FAM requesting the seat (happens more in business or FC than in coach).

On Check My trip.com,click onto VIEW DETAILS for additional info.Your seat assignment will come up .Click the seat #,The screen showed me the seat map for my Delta flite.It showed the assigned seat given to me in Yellow as assigned by Oceania.

The seats i picked through Delta reservations was marked in Grey denoting OCCUPIED.So I assume the assigned seats can be changed but the occupied are what my delta reservation comfirmed.

Hope this helps

On Check My trip.com,click onto VIEW DETAILS for additional info.Your seat assignment will come up .Click the seat #,The screen showed me the seat map for my Delta flite.It showed the assigned seat given to me in Yellow as assigned by Oceania.

The seats i picked through Delta reservations was marked in Grey denoting OCCUPIED.So I assume the assigned seats can be changed but the occupied are what my delta reservation comfirmed.

Hope this helps

Thank you Acrusa, this was helpful. The information on CheckMyTrip shows up as "confirmed" so hopefully everything's set regarding the flights even though the flights haven't actually been ticketed yet (despite final payment having already been made).

LHT28, I called LH back to ask for the booking number and they obliged. It seems to be the same 6-character "number" (it contains letters as well) one uses to access the CheckMyTrip site.

Lovecruisingtoo, yes, LH advised that the seats may be changed if there's a change in equipment (i.e., aircraft used), so one has to be mindful of that and to check occasionally.

In end, still no true confirmation, but a little more comforted than I was before. Thanks everyone.

We were booked on Luftansia last May for an Oceania Cruise and held the confirmed reservation for about five months. We were unable to get seat assignments when we printed our boarding passes and then could not get seats at the airport. When we reached Munich, low and behold we didn't have any seats. They had overbooked, and we were the victims. Instead of flying directly to Venice, we had to fly to Vienna and then Venice, thus missing our plans for the first day. We will never fly Luftansia again.

They had overbooked, and we were the victims. Instead of flying directly to Venice, we had to fly to Vienna and then Venice, thus missing our plans for the first day. We will never fly Luftansia again.

Did they provide you with a voucher or other compensation for bumping you?

You should have asked for compensation and you would have received some sort of voucher.

We were booked on Luftansia last May for an Oceania Cruise and held the confirmed reservation for about five months. We were unable to get seat assignments when we printed our boarding passes and then could not get seats at the airport. When we reached Munich, low and behold we didn't have any seats. They had overbooked, and we were the victims. Instead of flying directly to Venice, we had to fly to Vienna and then Venice, thus missing our plans for the first day. We will never fly Luftansia again.

Wow, this is what bothered me and why I bumped an otherwise old thread.

May I ask which gateway city/airport you flew out of (US/Canada)?

When you say "confirmed reservation", do you mean that you went to CheckMyTrip and confirmed that your seats were shown as having been assigned to you already, but that when you printed your boarding passes, the assignments disappeared? Or were you just confirmed to be on that flight and no more?

As to the connecting flight, I don't understand how you can be confirmed on Munich-Venice yet not be on that flight manifest (unless you volunteered to get bumped in return for compensation such as future fare voucher).

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I thought that LH was/is one of the better carriers in the airline industry...:(

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to understand this process with Oceania ... according to TA, Oceania will make the airline reservations ... do we get any say in their choice of flights, get to ask for seat assignments? I'd appreciate any help.

I'm trying to understand this process with Oceania ... according to TA, Oceania will make the airline reservations ... do we get any say in their choice of flights, get to ask for seat assignments? I'd appreciate any help.

If you want your choice in flights you ask your TA to get a deviation for which there is a fee of $75. pp and maybe more $$ for the flight you want than Oceania pays.

There is an explanation on deviations on the cruise air forum

I booked through the cruise line in March for a sailing in October and was given seats on Lufthansa outbound, and UA inbound. 7 months later, lo and behold, we sat in exactly the same seats we had been assigned so long before. I never checked or double checked, so maybe I was stupidly lucky, but I believe they normally only change your seat if they switch aircraft to a new configuration--in which case you may not want your original seat anyway!

As long as you HAVE a seat, you will have a great trip!

Cathy

Archived