Please tell me I don't need my marriage license!!!!

chp3ril

I want to make sure that I have this right-- If I have a passport, I won't need a marriage certificate. I will only need the passport. Is that correct?

I applied for a passport renewal a month or so ago by using the State Department's website, and I had to send in a certified copy of my marriage certificate to prove that I had a name change since my passport was issued. I don't know why other people didn't have to show marriage certificates in order to get passports with a name change. You'd think this wouldn't be so confusing...

When my mother applied for her passport - a new one, not a renewal, because her old passport had expired many years before - she was required to supply the marriage certificate from her first marriage, and the marriage certificate from her 2nd marriage to show her name changes.

I want to make sure that I have this right-- If I have a passport, I won't need a marriage certificate. I will only need the passport. Is that correct?

I applied for a passport renewal a month or so ago by using the State Department's website, and I had to send in a certified copy of my marriage certificate to prove that I had a name change since my passport was issued. I don't know why other people didn't have to show marriage certificates in order to get passports with a name change. You'd think this wouldn't be so confusing...

That has been the case for me. I only travel outside the US 1 or 2 times a year, but I have always ONLY needed to show my passport. My passport shows my name change (first, maiden, married) and matches my travel documents. When returning from the US after traveling abroad, the whole point of having the passport is to verify citizenship and identity.

When I got my passport changed from my maiden to married name, I had to send in my original marriage certificate to show proof of name change. I am surprised the Starrluna posted that the marriage certificate was not needed for hers. Maybe the passport rules are changing too???

I've been married twice and on my cruise last year I got paranoid and I got a copy of my previous marriage license , my divorce decree, and my new marriage license. I got to the pier and all they wanted was my license and birth certificate (which obviously doesn't match). For all the work i went thru obtaining these documents I almost wanted to break them out , show them off and explain each one. But I was too excited to get on the ship so i didn't. Next year the whole family will get passports.

I was told to bring BC, DL, AND marriage lic/certificate (the one we signed the day we got married) that shows my legal married name. Since my BC shows my maiden name and my DL shows my married name, I need something to show the link from my maiden to my married name. And yes, I did have to show it!

I was told to bring BC, DL, AND marriage lic/certificate (the one we signed the day we got married) that shows my legal married name. Since my BC shows my maiden name and my DL shows my married name, I need something to show the link from my maiden to my married name. And yes, I did have to show it!
Carnival recommends you bring a marraige license to prove name change. Royal Caribbean does not.

Carnival recommends you bring a marraige license to prove name change. Royal Caribbean does not.

Does anyone know why RC does not recommend bringing a marriage certificate? My parents are traveling with us on an AK cruise from Vancouver in a couple of weeks. My parents don't have passports. On our last cruise together in 2004, RC told me that mom needed to bring the marriage certificate for proof of name change because her ID only has her first, middle, and married names so there is no legal link from her BC to her ID. She doesn't have her maiden name on her ID.

I told her to bring the MC along this trip also, particularly with tightened security. I hadn't heard of any reason not to, although I did not phone RC about the married vs. maiden name this time since I assumed the answer should be the same.

The last time I looked at the RCCL website, they do tell passengers to bring their marraige certificate if the last names do not match up on all documents. In other words, if your BC says you are Jane Doe, but your license says you are Jane Smith, you better have a MC showing you married John Smith.

An anecdotal observation: I have had a daughter and DIL take cruises on their honeymoons. Both needed their marraige certificates due to the name difference.

Obviously if a woman keeps her maiden name and all docs are in that name, it probably doesn't matter.

Better safe than sorry.

LL

Your Mom should bring proof of her name change. That would be her marriage certificate.Along with a state or goverment issused photo ID, and official birth certificate(if she doesn't have a passport).

This can cost big $$$ if you get to the pier and you are not allowed on the ship.That would be sad and all you needed was a little piece of paper.

If Immigration Agents are routinely allowing people with inconsistant identification documents into this country it indicates a nearly criminal lack of border security.

Immigration Agents are now tasked with examining birth certificates and driver's licenses issued by 50 different states to determine citizenship. This is a near to imposssible task. The requirement for passports should be enacted now!

Royal Caribbean does recommend a marriage license. My spiel when I worked in individual reservations:

"Please advise your clients they will need either a passport OR a government issued photo ID and a certified, notarized, or original birth certificate. If the names on the ID and birth certificate don't match, they need a document to bridge the gap, such as a marriage license."

**Also, keep in mind these guidelines are only for native born US citizens. I used to get and hear of calls from people being denied boarding, and one I thought was particularly heartbreaking was a grandma who was born in Ireland. She brought her birth certificate and her photo ID, but not her naturalization papers, and even though she was paying for the cruise for all her kids and grandkids, she didn't get to go. :(

The most common reason I've been given in calls for ID problems is theft--family on vacation and someone gets their purse or wallet stolen. (so guard your purse!)

The oddest call I've ever heard of with regard to ID was someone who wanted to use their Sam's card instead of a drivers license. As big as Walmart is, their membership cards are not "government issued." ;)

Royal Caribbean does recommend a marriage license. My spiel when I worked in individual reservations:

"Please advise your clients they will need either a passport OR a government issued photo ID and a certified, notarized, or original birth certificate. If the names on the ID and birth certificate don't match, they need a document to bridge the gap, such as a marriage license."

Recommend a marriage license? Either it's mandatory or it's not.

Says no such thing on the website or in paper cruise documents. If this was the deal, there would be hundreds refused boarding every week.

Says no such thing on the website or in paper cruise documents. If this was the deal, there would be hundreds refused boarding every week.

Like a lot of other documents people argue they don't need, you don't need it until you do!

You have to prove who you are to Immigration. If your birthcertificate says Mary Jones and your DL and tickets say Mary Smith.....Immigration may want to know why. Just saying you are married isn't enough. If you check the U.S. State Department website, you will find this information.

Best thing to do is get a passport......

You sign some of your posts Mike. Therefore I am assuming you are a man?

Therefore, I am also assuming you have never had to show this proof. As a man, your name does not change as we women do.

When was the last time this was asked of you?

So may I ask why you keep arguing about this?:confused:

Let us women who have been asked give the correct information. ;)

**Also, keep in mind these guidelines are only for native born US citizens. I used to get and hear of calls from people being denied boarding, and one I thought was particularly heartbreaking was a grandma who was born in Ireland. She brought her birth certificate and her photo ID, but not her naturalization papers, and even though she was paying for the cruise for all her kids and grandkids, she didn't get to go.

The most common reason I've been given in calls for ID problems is theft--family on vacation and someone gets their purse or wallet stolen. (so guard your purse!)

The oddest call I've ever heard of with regard to ID was someone who wanted to use their Sam's card instead of a drivers license. As big as Walmart is, their membership cards are not "government issued."

Somehow I feel he has more knowledge about this question. To me, that is proof enough in my book.

Like a lot of other documents people argue they don't need, you don't need it until you do!

You have to prove who you are to Immigration. If your birthcertificate says Mary Jones and your DL and tickets say Mary Smith.....Immigration may want to know why. Just saying you are married isn't enough. If you check the U.S. State Department website, you will find this information.

Best thing to do is get a passport......

Still no one has showed me anywhere that RCL requires a marriage license. It's because they don't. Your cruise document name has to match your photo ID and your birthdate on the cruise docs, your license, and birth certificate must match.

Get a passport?

maybe for you and me who already have them, but what about the family who has saved for years to go on a dream cruise vacation. Pretty dumb to spend hundreds more for something that is not required. For all you know they may never have the opportunity to use it when it is required next year.

Still no one has showed me anywhere that RCL requires a marriage license. It's because they don't. Your cruise document name has to match your photo ID and your birthdate on the cruise docs, your license, and birth certificate must match.

Get a passport?

maybe for you and me who already have them, but what about the family who has saved for years to go on a dream cruise vacation. Pretty dumb to spend hundreds more for something that is not required. For all you know they may never have the opportunity to use it when it is required next year.

If a family has saved for years for a vacation, they can save a few more months and get a passport. Not dumb to spend it at all, in fact, may be the wiser than buying a few video games.

Would you renew your passport a year early?

My passport is not due to be renewed until 2 years from now. Having been questioned on my middle initial being different, has me renewing it as soon as I return from my Navigator cruises in October. I want it done before it is necessary and before my Empress cruise next year.

If you renew it early, the passport is now extended for that lost time.

Get a passport?

You must be skip reading..... It is U.S. Immigration that wants to see the marriage license.

While it is true that that "family" may never travel again - it is just as likely true that they will.

Whether or not someone gets a passport means -O- to me.. Whether or not they have proper documents when they are asked for them also means -O- to me. If they are denied boarding, again no skin off my teeth. You are only partially right about what is required.... The name on ALL documents must match, I.D., ticket, birth certificate. If any of it doesn't match, it is up to the passenger to prove that she is one and the same person.

The question was asked - and answered...that is what these boards are all about....

You're right about it not being anywhere on the docs or the webpage--I just looked. But they do tell agents in class to advise about bridging documents, and it's on internal literature that is referred to when travel agents ask about identification.

If it's too late to get a marriage license, I wouldn't sweat it. All you can do is go and hope you are okay without one, and from what it sounds like on these boards, odds are you will be. If you have time to get one, though, I think it's worth the peace of mind to have everything they could ask for.

Unless your drivers license and birth certificate are in the same name, you need your marriage license.

This is not really correct. If you have ID in the name that the cruise is booked in you do not need the marriage certificate, even though your birth certificate is in a different name.

This problem usually arises with recently married women (most men don't change their names though there is no legal reason that they could not). If you have your DL already switched to your new name you should be fine.

A U.S. passport is the best proof of U.S. citizenship. Other documents to prove U.S. citizenship include an expired U.S. passport, a certified copy of your U.S. birth certificate, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, or a Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States. To prove your identity, either a valid driver's license or a government identification card that includes a photo or a physical description is adequate. http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/brochures/brochures_1225.html

Hope this helps.

Am I correct in assuming that since my name matches on my passport and California Driver's License, that's all I need to bring and that my Birth Certificate and Marriage License is not necessary? Thanks so much for clearning this up.
If you have a passport, you need nothing else. Name on the cruise has to match. You do need your license to prove residency if you have one of those promotions.

Would you renew your passport a year early?

The appropriate time to renew your passport is 9 - 12 months prior to expiration. Why? A lot of countries will not let you in unless your passport is valid for at least six months prior to your leaving. If you don't believe me check the state department's web site.

Archived