If not Princess, Who??

Rustyone

I would not choose Celebrity. I did that once on the Millennium, and it was okay...but there was always a grinding vibration in the dining room and the aft of the ship that quite frankly, irritated the life out of me. I'm not talking about ship movement on the waves; I'm talking about something mechanically weird. Then the service was not all that it was cracked up to be. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't significantly better. I could say that across the board for everything else on that trip.

I would try HAL first, then Royal Caribbean, and then NCL....in that order.

but Princess - and we'll be on our 4th in October. Based on comments on the boards I keep looking at other lines, but something always brings me back to Princess. We love Personal Choice and I wouldn't book on a line that didn't offer that - so that eliminates a few :-)

Based on comments about Celebrity, I was looking at some cruises earlier this week and when I saw the price of the cabins (I was looking at a Concierge Class Cabin) that cost almost double what I've been paying for the mini-suites on Princess, and how much smaller they were than the minis, I wondered just how great everything else would have to be to make up that big a cost difference.

Since we have been extremely happy with everything on our 3 previous Princess cruises - and unless someone gives me a cruise on another line - I think we've made our choice :-)

The nice thing is there is a choice - we can find what suits us best.

If all of a sudden I could not sail with Princess, I think I would go to the bank beg for a loan and spend the dough on a nice canoe and a pair of oars.

I agree Princess is enticing and addictive. My kind of cruising experience.

Having only sailed on HAL (twice) and NCL and based on the comments I have read from the others I would say HAL is hands down the favorite. I discount the routine complainers and try not to get excited about the loyal followers that can see no wrong in their favorite. But overall it doesn't sound as though the Princess cruise I have booked will live up to my experience with HAL. Now I really liked NCL as well, but my parents weren't to impressed. The rooms were larger on HAL (we had the standard balcony on both), but the restroom was huge on NCL. From the reviews I have read it seems that RCL may have nice size standard rooms, but on other lines like Princess, I'll need to upgrade to a mini-suite to equal the size and comfort of a standard balcony on NCL or HAL. Also many things I took for granite on HAL, may cost extra on Princess (like fresh squeezed juice delivered every morning to my room).

I have heard many express that HAL was for the older crowds and I would not agree. My first cruise was in September 2003 and we took my 19 y/o stepson and his fiance. By the first night they had already found a pack of 20 or so friends and they partied until the wee hours of the morning. By the end of the week they had over 50 different email addresses of friends they had met. My last HAL cruise was an Alaska cruise in late May and while the guest were a little older, I still ran into plenty of young people having a good time. Honestly I was in bed a little after midnight on most nights, but the dancing was still hoping when I left for the cabin. So I wouldn't call it boring in the least.

Gelton I live in your town. The other day on these boards was a person from Dallas, Ga-small world isn't it???????

For the time being, DH and I are very pleased with the Princess product. If, at some time in the future, we are no longer enjoying our cruises with Princess, we would consider Crystal.

Prior to sailing on Princess in 2002, we had already done multiple cruises on both Carnival and Royal Caribbean, once each NCL and Celebrity. We currently have no desire to return to any of those now that we've experienced Princess.

Chris

I think it depends on what you are looking for in a cruise. We love HAL mostly to the Caribbean since we are beach people but did the Med this year. A cruise is about the relaxation, don't really care abou the shows or the excursions. Last year, we did our first Crystal cruise and was the best ever from a service perspective. We've also done Regent, which was also more on the low key side. If you are just looking to relax, any one of these three would be good choices if you want to try something new.

I would not choose Celebrity. I did that once on the Millennium, and it was okay...but there was always a grinding vibration in the dining room and the aft of the ship that quite frankly, irritated the life out of me. I'm not talking about ship movement on the waves; I'm talking about something mechanically weird. Then the service was not all that it was cracked up to be. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't significantly better. I could say that across the board for everything else on that trip.

You are so right about the vibration. It was pretty bad.

You are so right about the vibration. It was pretty bad.

It was only for the short periods of time in Dining Room, when ship pulled from the port.

We experienced the same thing on Caribbean Princess in Palm DR when ship was sailing back from Virgin Islands using higher speed.

It was only for the short periods of time in Dining Room, when ship pulled from the port.

We experienced the same thing on Caribbean Princess in Palm DR when ship was sailing back from Virgin Islands using higher speed.

For us it was much worse. Far worse then any other ship that I have ever been on.

Well folks,

The wife and I have been on HAL, RCI, CARN and Celebrity.

Our first time on Princess is Sept. 2 and from all said so far we are really looking forward to the trip. We have a full suite for a 31 day trip in april 08 from Australia to La and so we had to try things out before then. (small inside on the Riviera deck CB, what the heck only $500 each)

So far Celebrity and their TA's have been our favorite for the money. The millie class is the best.

However we may be getting a real education on Princess and we hope so. Nothing is better than a little competition. We post our humble opinion after the cruise.

First time princess

I've been on several RCI cruises and prefer Princess over them. However, I'm trying out HAL (Prinsendam) next year, mostly because the itinerary I want to do was changed by Princess for 2007 compared to this year's itinerary, making it two days shorter and cutting out the reason for going, not to mention that they changed from the Sea Princess to the Grand (which is probably why they had to eliminate two ports). I'll do anything to not go on the Grand (based on a previous experience.) I've heard really good things about HAL from diehard Princess fans so I'm looking forward to it.

Not for us it wasn't. It was continual; never stopped. We had a cabin at the very back of the ship, so I'd know. I truly think with this class of ship (Infinity, Millennium, Summit) that there is something inherently wrong with the propulsion system. It is constantly being addressed and cruises are repeatedly being cancelled because of azipod issues.

My theory is that if you are on the ship right after they fix the problem (temporarily) you won't experience the vibration. But after it starts wearing out the fix, months later, the vibrations begin again. I know in our case, the Millennium was in drydock the week after we returned, and a cruise was cancelled. It's a repetitive problem for this class of ship.

Maybe Horizon or Century or one of the others is better in this department.

Not for us it wasn't. It was continual; never stopped. We had a cabin at the very back of the ship, so I'd know. I truly think with this class of ship (Infinity, Millennium, Summit) that there is something inherently wrong with the propulsion system. It is constantly being addressed and cruises are repeatedly being cancelled because of azipod issues.

My theory is that if you are on the ship right after they fix the problem (temporarily) you won't experience the vibration. But after it starts wearing out the fix, months later, the vibrations begin again. I know in our case, the Millennium was in drydock the week after we returned, and a cruise was cancelled. It's a repetitive problem for this class of ship.

Argosy - we had an aft cabin also. We were on the ship in February and it had been dry docked two months earlier. So 2 months after dry dock - we experienced it big time.

I know people who have booked that class of ship 2x and had both trips cancelled due to the propulsion system. They hate booking the class because you really can't predict if you will actually sail or not. The cancellations on that class of ship is huge compared to all other ships.

I may try the Century class one of these days.

I would like to try Celebrity and HAL, and someday take a river cruise in Europe. A month in Europe - 10 day Mediterranean cruise, followed by a 10 day river cruise and then 10 day land tour. I better start buying a lottery ticket.:)

We LOVE Princess (6 cruises in the last 5 years) and also have sailed most all of the other lines--20+ cruises here. We are going back to Carnival next January because of the very reasonably priced aft suites, the greatly improved food, and an 8 night cruise from FLL with great itinerary. We'll see. It will take adjustment on our part with an assigned time for dining but if we can get a table for two we will be fine. If not.....I can't think about it.

My travel agent (and sister) just returned from Carnival in May and Royal Caribbean In July. She said Carnival was awesome--especially the food--comparable to Princess--and RCCL was AWFUL (I''ve been on RCCL twice and it was awful both times--never again)

The Carnival of now does not deserve the "party ship" reputation--I understand where that came from because I sailed during that era, but things have changed. Talk to someone that has cruised Carnival in the last few years.

Just my opinion---

Judy

Archived