Explorer Dinng room vegetarian entrees?

I looked at some Explorer menus on another site. Some nights there were no vegetarian choices (don't do any meat) Does anyone know if they have separate menus or standard choices? On RCI Empress & NCL there was always one meatless entree offered

I know, I know, I could get meatless Meals in Windjammer or pizza etc. Was impressed Johnny Rockets has veggie burger listed.

Thanks

Hi Frog!

Don't do dead animals either, and have NEVER had a problem getting meals in the formal dining room (I don't do Windjammer either!;) ). Unless you're vegan...then I don't know what to tell you.

Of course, that doesn't stop DH from ordering ANYTHING bloody every night (and day!). If it bleeds, he'll eat it. Keep your fingers away...;)

If only I could get them to go organic.

Thanks

My hub and I have a perfect combo I eat no meat , he eats no vegetables:)

On Empress no one even knew I didnt eat meat, there was something every nite, but like I said the menus didn't show some online. I know I wont starve

When I first started cruising, I was a veggie. There were meatless appetizers and entrees every night (cheese ravioli, other pastas, salads, veg and fruit-based soups, etc). At meals where the only non-meat choices were portabella-based :(, I ordered a salad and baked potato (and dessert)......not necessarily a festive, classy dinner, but it filled me up!

You can also check the childrens' menu. I am pretty sure that mac and cheese is a staple there and there may be other non-meat choices. There have been numerous mentions here of adults ordering items from the kids' menu. Just another possible option! Have fun on your cruise!

Make your needs known to the head waiter the day you arrive... tell him you are concerned about having only one choice of entree and wondering what to do if you don't like that choice... I think they will be able to do something for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a vegetarian, too. I've been on the Explorer. It was a couple of years ago, but I had no problem finding vegetarian options. There is a vegetarian entree each night and pasta with marinara is also available every night.

I personally think that the macaroni and cheese on the children's menu fo RCCL is fabulous. You can order it even if you are a grown up.

Sometimes if the veggie option does not look good to me, I will order 2 appetizers.

Pelican Bill, will you trade countdown clocks with me. I like your number of days much better than mine :)

I know when we did the Empress had no problems everything was good and no one at the table even knew I was a vegetarian. (hate it when people make a big deal out of it) On NCL that was a different matter, yuk, had maybe 2 ok meals and 1 good meal out of 14

Here is the menu for Voyager class ships (I got it from someone else here on the boards, and some others said it wasn't 100% accurate, however this is exactly what was served on our Mariner cruise last week with the expection of Snapper - Tilapia was substituted.)

The last listed entree is always vegetarian, as is the pasta on the alternate menu. The first appetizer is vegetarian and so is at least one soup every night, and all the salads.

NEW Menu Bon Voyage (first night)

Starters

Melon and Mango – Drizzled with ginger syrup

Smoked Fish Tapenade – Smoked fish, onions, capers, fresh herbs, served with crostini coulis

Vidalia Onion Tart – sweet onions and gruyere cheese baked in pastry with red pepper

Tuscan Tomato Soup – Thick rustic soup swirled with basil pesto

Saigon Chicken Noodle Soup – Chicken broth with lemon grass, ginger, noodles and julienne vegetables

Chilled Watermelon Gazpacho – Garnished with chopped celery and cucumber

Salad

Spinach Salad – with plum tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and toasted pine nuts

Traditional Caesar Salad

Entrees

Shrimp Ravioli – In a cream coconut lime lobster sauce with wilted spinach and crispy fried leeks

Stuffed Chicken Breast – filled with prosciutto and brie, served with red pimento relish

Slow Roasted prime Rib – with baked potato and horseradish au jus

Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Quesadilla – Folded in a flour tortilla with Manchego cheese and tomato and cilantro salsa

Alternative Selections

Fettuccine with Marinara Sauce

Broiled Fillet of Norwegian Salmon

Grilled Chicken Breast with seasonal herbs

Grilled Black Angus Top Sirloin with herb butter

Chef Signature Entrée

Royal Herb Crusted Fillet of Atlantic Cod – with light cream saffron champagne sauce, red skinned mashed potatoes and scallions

Formal night (2nd night)

Starters

Sun Ripened Pineapple - Sliced Pineapple, Sun dried apricot ricotta and black pepper

Citrus Cured Salmon - Thinly Slices with a dill cucumber salad

Creamed Wild Mushrooms in Puff pastry – crimini and oyster mushrooms in flaky pastry

Cream of Asparagus – Garnished with crunchy almonds

Double Duck Consomme – with julienne vegetables and aged port

Roasted Peach Soup – Finished with fresh strawberries

Salad

House Salad – Boston and Oakleaf lettuce, vine ripened tomatoes and sunflower seeds

Traditional Caesar Salad

Entrees

New England Bay Scallops and Ziti – topped with Portobello mushrooms and fire roasted red pepper pesto

Fisherman’s Plate – A broiled lobster tail and garlicky shrimp with broccoli florets

Slow Roasted Aged Prime Rib – cut thick served with baked potato

Asian Fried Tofu – with sautéed bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and red curry sauce

Alternative Selections

Ziti with Marinara Sauce

Chef Signature Entrée

Thai BBQ Chicken Breast

NEW Venetian Feast (3rd night)

Starters

Caprese Salad – fresh mozzarella and tomatoes drizzled with olive oil

Antipasti – Cured Italian ham, seasonal melon, grilled vegetables, marinated Portobello mushrooms, baked caramelized garlic

Scallop Risotto – Sauteed sea scallops over Charred sweet corn and mascarpone risotto

Creamy Roasted Garlic Soup – with rye bread croutons

Minestrone – A rich Italian soup of vegetables, tomato, and pasta

Chilled Strawberry Bisque – garnished with fresh mint

Salad

Insalata Mista – Mixed greens, zucchini, red bell peppers and black olives

Traditional Caesar Salad

Entrees

Rigatoni Pasta – with spiced chorizo sausage, red and green peppers, grilled corn, olive oil and basil

Garlic Tiger Shrimp – Garlic herb baked with seasonal vegetables

Chicken Marsala – Marsala mushroom sauce, mashed potatoes and fresh vegetables

Vegetarian Chili – With jalapeno corn bread, grated cheese and sour cream

Alternative selections

Rigatoni with marinara sauce

Broiled fillet of Norwegian Salmon

Chefs Signature Entrée

Lamb Shank with Rosemary – Slowly braised with garlic mashed potatoes and oven roasted vegetables

New Crown and Anchor Menu (4th night)

Special Salad

Focaccia and Tomato Salad for the table – crusty focaccia, mozzarella and ripe tomato slices tossed with fresh basil and served family style

Starters

Fresh Seasonal Fruits – Laced with passion fruit coulis

House Terrine – Savory duck pate with port and Waldorf Salad

Maryland Crab Cake – with wasabi remoulade, jicama, and fire roasted corn slaw

New England Clam Chowder – Thick chunky soup tossed with chopped parsley

Thai Lemongrass Soup – Fragrant lemon grass and chicken broth with scallop dumplings and chopped green onions

Chilled Golden Delicious Apple Soup – dusted with cinnamon

Entrees

Cheese Tortelloni – in a light blue cheese and sun dried tomato sauce

Orange Lime Salmon – with sautéed baby bok choy and tomato chill compote

Moroccan Spiced Rack of Lamb – with lemon basil couscous and minted jus

Risotto Primavera – Freshly grilled vegetables over saffron and wilted spinach risotto

Alternative selections

Caesar salad

Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce

Broiled fillet of Atlantic Cod

Chef Signature Entrée

Grilled Porch Chop – with cranberry apple relish, scalloped potatoes, sautéed seasonal vegetables

New Caribbean Night Menu (5th night)

Starters

Tropical Fruits – Pineapple, papaya and mango garnished with star fruit and fresh mint leaves

Seafood Salad – Shrimp, Surimi and crab tossed with spring onions, peppers and celery in ginger mayonnaise

Vegetable Spring Roll – lightly fried and served over Thai style eggplant coconut curry

Shee Crab and Shrimp Bisque – Creamy seafood soup originating from South Carolina

Pepperpot Soup – Jamaican spiced beef broth and callaloo leaves

Banarama soup – chilled soup spiked with Malibu Rum

Salad

Cedar Key Salad – Iceberg lettuce, pineapple, hearts of palm and shaved red cabbage

Traditional Caesar Salad

Entrees

Seafood Penne Pasta – Mussels, shrimp, scallops, in Sauvignon Blanc sace, garnished with diced fresh plus tomatoes and fried basil

Jerk Chicken – with papaya mango salsa, rice and beans, fried plantain

Veal Parmigiana

Vegetarian Bami Goreng – Finished with julienne egg pancake and peanut Sauce

Alternative selections

Penne with marinara sauce

Broiled fillet of Norwegian Salmon

Chef Signature Entrée

Pan Seared Snapper – with Caribbean ramatouille and char grilled lime

Formal menu 2 (6th night)

Starters

Orange Carpaccio – orange slices, red onions, watercress, feta cheese and cumin mint yogurt

Shrimp Cocktail royal – with cocktail sauce

Escargots Bourguignonne – baked snails in garlic herb butter

Lobster Bisque – finished with cognac and whipped cream

Oxtail Broth – beefy broth and aged sherry, served with a crispy cheese twist

Chilled Golden Pear – Garnished with dried cranberries

Caesar salad

Entrees

Truffled Wild Mushroom Linguini Alfredo – Linguini pasta folded in a creamy wild mushroom and white truffle sauce

Golden Sea Bass – Pan Seared fillet, Spanish sofrito, black olive polenta and fried capers

Roasted Duck – with black currant sauce, red cabbage and croquette potatoes

Eggplant Mozzarella Tower – with chunky plum tomato sauce and balsamic glaze

Alternative Selections

Linguini with Marinara Sauce

Chef Signature Entrée

Filet of Beef – creamy whipped potatoes and crimini mushrooms with green peppercorn sauce

NEW Feast of Nations Menu

Starters

Fired Roasted Red Pepper Hummus – with roasted marinated zucchini and toasted pita

Shrimp Cocktail

Spinach Sweet Potato Dip – served warm with crisp tortilla chips

Roasted Pumpkin and Apple Soup – with crème fraiche and fried sage

Onion Soup – Caramalized onions in beed broth with Gruyere toast

Chilled Forest Berries and Buttermilk soup – a combination of fresh berries blended with buttermilk

Salad

Ensalada del Chef – mixed greens, orange sections, red onions and green olives

Traditional Caesar salad

Entrees

Grey Goose Vodka and Smoked Salmson Cream Pasta

- Creamy sauce tossed with orechhiette pasta, finished with mushrooms and crushed tomatoes

Roasted Turkey – with apple bread dressing, pan gravy, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce

Grilled NY Strip Steak – Bearnaise sauce, fried potato wedges and zucchini

Indian Vegetable Curry – braised spiced garden vegetables with steamed rice and a refreshing cucumber yogurt sauce

Alternative Selections

Orecchiette with Marinara sauce

Broiled fillet of Atlantic Cod

Chef Signature Entrée

Mahi Mahi Tempura – Lightly battered and fried with homemade sweet and sour sauce, stir fried vegetables

Dessert menu 1

Grand Marnier Souffle

Double Strawberry Cheesecake

Cherries Jubilee

Low Fat Double strawberry Cheesecake

Sugar Free Coconut Vanilla Layer Cake

Ice Cream, Sugar Free Ice Cream and sherbet selections

Cheese selection

Dessert menu 2

Ivory Chocolate Fondue – full of mixed berries with a crunchy biscuit

Apple pie a la Mode – Slices of spiced golden delicious apples baked in a double crust pasry topped with vanilla ice cream

Savarin – rum soaked yeast cake filled with banana cream, finished with orange wedges, kadota figs, and chocolate chips

Low Fat Tropical Fruit salad – marinated in grand marnier

Sugar Fee Swan Chantilly – a pastry swan filled with sugar free whipped cream served with apricot puree

Ice Cream, Sugar Free Ice Cream and sherbet selections

Cheese selection

I always try to not make a fuss about being a vegetarian and keep it low key. My wife (who is not veg) tells me to let em know right away, but I don't like it to be a big deal. People get kinda funny about stuff like that. One cruise I listened to someone for 5 nights keep telling me "what I'm missing". I manage to get by. I can always just do the salad thing. It drives my wife nuts, but I have lost weight on every cruise we have been on. If nothing else, just speak to the head waiter discreetly on the first night.

Frogfuzz, go to this message board and introduce yourself. It's our cruises message board and we already have the 25 people signed up for the party. If on Cruise Critic you get 25 people signed up for Meet and Mingle RCCL gives you a little party and get to meet the people you have been conversing with online. Just some hors duevres and freebee draws but a nice time none the less. You feel like you know some people onboard other than those you are traveling with. Last cruise I ran into some of them while waiting to board and then we would see each other at activities around the ship and talk about things we had done. Actually went ice skating with another family from the M&M. If you want to signup for it you go to

http://cruisecritic.com/community/meetandmingle.cfm

Explorer Feb 4th, 2007 sailing message board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=298299&page=2

Hope to see you on the board and at the M&M.:D

Archived