Recommendations to see/do in Anchorage

babalooo

I'm leaving this Friday for my Alaska cruise and after my land tour I will have an entire day, and the night before to spend in Anchorage before my flight home. Can anyone recommend things to see/do in the city (it doesn't have to be wildlife -- unless there's a must see -- related as I will be doing a 7 day cruise and then a 4 day Denali land excursion afterwards). I would like to hear what people recommend to see/eat/do/hang out in the city. Thanks!

You can rent a car and drive down along the Seward highway. It is beautiful and you might even spot Belugas. There is a wildlife refuge center near Portage Glacier on the right side of the road. You can see all of the animals that you missed in Alaska. In Anchorage there is the Alaska Native Heritage Center. This center is dedicated to the Native Americans in Alaska. Quite interesting. There is also a movie called the "Alaska Experience" which is supposed to be good. We didn't make it there. We also did some shopping there and bought some major pieces of sculpture to bring home. There is no sales tax in the city of Anchorage, so think about saving major purchases for there. The sculpture shop at the Captain Cook Hotel is great. Best prices in town in my opinion. One last thing, you can also easily do salmon fishing in and close to Anchorage. My boys did it and brought home 23 pounds of fillets.

Somebody on a different post mentioned a big market that sold great authentic souvenirs in Anchorage. Does anyone know about this morning market in Anchorage...where it is and when it is?

I think I am going to have some days there and also need information. Thanks for posting ideas.

Somebody on a different post mentioned a big market that sold great authentic souvenirs in Anchorage. Does anyone know about this morning market in Anchorage...where it is and when it is?

I think I am going to have some days there and also need information. Thanks for posting ideas.

During our May pre-cruise in Alaska we went to the weekend market. It is located across from the Hilton Hotel in downtown. It was open Saturday and Sunday. Had lots of local crafts as well as tees, fold up duffle bags, hats, etc. A lot of the things you would find at a local marketplace. Vendors are set up in individual stalls and lay out their items. Don't remember the hours, perhaps one of the locals on this board could provide that information to you.

Here's the link to the Market http://www.anchoragemarkets.com/

Susan in Anchorage :)

I'm leaving this Friday for my Alaska cruise and after my land tour I will have an entire day, and the night before to spend in Anchorage before my flight home. Can anyone recommend things to see/do in the city (it doesn't have to be wildlife -- unless there's a must see -- related as I will be doing a 7 day cruise and then a 4 day Denali land excursion afterwards). I would like to hear what people recommend to see/eat/do/hang out in the city. Thanks!

Go in and check out http://www.anchorage.net

If you're staying downtown the museum is great. Also the Alaska Native Heritage Center and I know they are running shuttles from their shop in the Ship Creek Center, on 4th Avenue and C and several other hotels http://www.alaskanative.net/

Look over their visitor guide posted above. Also consider a car rental, if getting out of town an option for you. I suggest driving Hatcher Pass, and perhaps taking a Spirit House tour at Eklutna, Eagle River Nature Center, and a drive along Turnagain Arm. Can easily be done in a full day.

Though if you're coming in the next week I'd make sure I'd check all road conditions before you drive anywhere. You call dial 511 from any phone and it will do road conditions for you or check out the AK DOT web site.

We're still closed at Parks MP 121 as part of the bridge went. Hatcher's Pass is still closed as they got nearly 12 inches of rain and then yesterday Crow Creek Pass Road had a mudslide and is closed. They had to send in the Alaska Air Guard to get some hikers on the other side. Guess there were going to be a few calling car rental agencies as their cars were still on the other side of the slide but all cars were reported okay.

And it started raining again today and the prediction is at least for a couple of more days. Flood warnings last night were still posted through Thursday.

Though if you're coming in the next week I'd make sure I'd check all road conditions before you drive anywhere. You call dial 511 from any phone and it will do road conditions for you or check out the AK DOT web site.

We're still closed at Parks MP 121 as part of the bridge went. Hatcher's Pass is still closed as they got nearly 12 inches of rain and then yesterday Crow Creek Pass Road had a mudslide and is closed. They had to send in the Alaska Air Guard to get some hikers on the other side. Guess there were going to be a few calling car rental agencies as their cars were still on the other side of the slide but all cars were reported okay.

And it started raining again today and the prediction is at least for a couple of more days. Flood warnings last night were still posted through Thursday.

Susan, absolutely you give the BEST advice. I am posting on a general information mode and the road conditions need to be the priority. There certainly is plenty in Anchorage to keep anyone busy. :)

awesome! thanks for the tips!

can anyone recommend places to eat/drink that are "can't miss"? I believe I will be at the Anchorage Hilton.

Our best/favorite meals while in Anchorage were at Simon & Seafort's, The Bridge and the Glacier Brewhouse. Although others have liked it, we had only average food and service at Orso's.

Terpnut's got a good list and I'd add Rum Runners to that. Snowgoose is good too as well as Humpy's. All depends on what you like and what you want to spend.

Now if you want to spend big bucks, Marx Brothers and the Crow's Nest on top of the Captain Cook. Used to like the Top of the World at the Hilton but haven't been there in ages.

Thanks BQ and I always enjoy your posts, as you've done a few trips that I haven't yet and would like to. Took me years to get to Kennicott but it's been one of my favorite trips since we got to go. Though we drove to Chitina and flew over. There was no way I was taking my SUV over that lovely road, and stayed at the lodge.

I just don't want anyone coming in the next few days to have a big surprise about the situation between here and Denali via road and if it keeps raining possibly railroad again.

Thanks for all the advise, we are doing a B2B and have a van booked thru Avis for the day in Anckorage, we are planing to go to the market, portage glacier too, how long would you leave to drive back to Whittier with the tunnel etc

Allow at least 1 hour 15min. without stops- PLUS tunnel time. Be in line at least 15 min. before.

Archived