Yellow Fever Certificate

swindy

We have been informed by a fellow traveller that we require a Yellow Fever Certificate of Immunisation for our fothcoming cruise from Gran Canaria to Brazil VIA Senegal.

We have not been notified of this requirement by Silversea.

Can anybody verify this information please.

Thanks

We have been informed by a fellow traveller that we require a Yellow Fever Certificate of Immunisation for our fothcoming cruise from Gran Canaria to Brazil VIA Senegal. We have not been notified of this requirement by Silversea.

I would be getting the vaccination if I was on that itinerary. Whether required or not - I don't take chances with infectious diseases, especially the nasty ones.

Here is CDC information on Yellow Fever.

Here is Senegal specific information.

Here is Brazil specific information.

From my reading, Brazil will require the immunization since you are coming from Senegal. You can check it out yourself and not wait for SS to say anything.

Also, for those possibly interested, the map on the Yellow Fever page above shows that Iguacu Falls is in the endemic area for YF.

I wouldn't take a chance...I would visit a travel clinic to ensure you have all the proper shots/medications, etc.

We did this before our Africa cruise and it really paid off....they advised us as to food precautions in addition to everything else.....Many people ate and drank whatever they wanted in Africa and were sick when they arrived on the ship....they were unable to enjoy the beautiful cruise.

I would recommend contacting the cruise line as they can verify this for you. You can also use the CDC web site that FlyerTalker provided. We are on an upcoming with Crystal and although Crystal confirmed that we would need this, I was able to look it up on the CDC web site and knew my wife and I would need the shots.

Yellow fever shots are not available at your regular doctors office. The CDC site will provide the location in your area that offer them. Our trip is not till January but we got them a few months ago. They are good for 10 years and you must get the Yellow Fever Certificate which you will take with you on your cruise as proof that you received the shot. In our case, we also got the Hepatitus Shot and a followup booster and we will go back to them in a few months to get the Typhoid Vaccine tablets.

My wife and I made an appointment at one of the sites listed in our area called Passport Health and I believe they have offices nationally. We were very pleased with their thoroughness. We provided them with a list of places that are on our itinerary ahead of time and when we met to get the Yellow Fever shot the gave us some recommendatons on a couple of other shots that while not required make sense for our upcoming trip. They also prepared a nice booklet for us with some very useful information about each country we are visiting from customs, to climate, to recommendations regarding shots, to other health related recommendations.

Keith

We, too, are on the Silver Wind transatlantic from Las Palmas to Rio De Janiero. We were informed by our travel agent that we would be required to present a certificate of immunization for yellow fever upon embarkment of the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

We have now had our Yellow Fever Injections and have the certificates to prove it!!!

However the only port of call that could possibly need anti malaria tablets, according to the centre, is also Senegal. As we are only there for the one day and were only planning on going to the desert and salt lake, is it really necessary to undertake a lengthy course of anti malaria tablets?

Thanks

When we traveled to Brazil two years ago malaria medication was advised for the Amazon. I don't know if you will be going near the Amazon area, but malaria pills are advised but not required. My thoughts are if in doubt, take the medication. I was exposed to malaria in the South Pacific years ago and it is NOT fun.

We aren't going to the Amazon and have been advised that we do not need anti malaria medication for our travel in Brazil, just the one day in Senegal.

We are even considering staying onboard in Senegal to avoid having to take anti malaria tablets for the rest of the cruise but it would be a shame not to experience the Sahara Desert.

It also depends on where you will be and when. Are you visiting rural areas or taking a boat trip on an inland waterway? Will you be ashore only in daylight hours, or are you likely to be exposed at dusk? When we were scheduled to go to Senegal (port cancelled, different line, grrr), the advice was that we didn't need malaria protection -- but we were only going to be ashore in daylight and in the town.

It also depends on where you will be and when. Are you visiting rural areas or taking a boat trip on an inland waterway? Will you be ashore only in daylight hours, or are you likely to be exposed at dusk? When we were scheduled to go to Senegal (port cancelled, different line, grrr), the advice was that we didn't need malaria protection -- but we were only going to be ashore in daylight and in the town.

Thanks for the info.

We were planning on going on the Salt Lake and Sahara Desert excursion offered by Silversea. The info states that it departs in the afternoon and since the Wind departs at 6.00pm, I assume we would be back onboard by 5.00pm.

I take health precautions very seriously but do not want unpleasant side effects for most of the cruise because of one port of call!!

I take health precautions very seriously but do not want unpleasant side effects for most of the cruise because of one port of call!!
Another suggestion (I'm not an MD: this is from a web site, so maybe worth what it costs you): start the medication several weeks in advance. If you did have an adverse reaction, you'd have time to stop the medication, recover from the reaction, and start a different medication. And you wouldn't have ruined your trip.

We were planning on going on the Salt Lake and Sahara Desert excursion offered by Silversea. The info states that it departs in the afternoon and since the Wind departs at 6.00pm, I assume we would be back onboard by 5.00pm.

Silversea has only 1 shore excursion in the afternoon in Dakar, the Pink Lake Retba (or am I missing something?) Would we have time to take a Silversea shore excursion in the morning (Historic Gorée Island, the materials indicate that we would be back to the ship about 1 pm) have lunch aboard ship, and then take the afternoon excursion also?

Archived