Monarch - News Flash!!!

Lorna,

Were you able to get a copy of the menu for Jade Restaurant? Also, does deck 5 have new mattresses.

She posted on another thread that deck 5 hadn't gotten the new mattresses yet, and they started from the bottom up.

Thanks Lorna............I know that your information comes from the highest sources.

As a matter of fact............I'll confirm these facts on our next cruise, leaving this Friday.

Lorna......................your the best!!!:) ... Thanks for your report.

Rick

I really hope that this is true that either the serenade or the adventure would go out west because either would be a great ship to do a mexico route on.

Scott

If you mean "Serenade of the Seas" it does do Mexico.

I am scheduled for a Mexican Riviera trip in October 2006.

Thanks Lorna for the info. We would be excited to see a Voyager class (or even Radiance class) ship coming to the west coast and staying year round. Although we enjoy our cruises out of Florida sometimes we just don't have enough time to do the flying in a day before the ship leaves routine. Ships based in LA take care of that dilemma...Heck, we'd probably cruise more often too. (That's a GOOD thing!!!)

Lorna, thanks for the update! I'm still hoping for new bedding on Deck 10 this weekend.

Serenade isn't a regulaor on the Left Coast, sad to say. We're doing the short Mexico cruise in October, and there's a charter after us, but then she departs through the Panama Canal for the winter. Oh, I would love to see a Radiance class ship in LA year round. I'd even take one "just" for the winter!

They won't stretch the Monarch. Like the one poster stated, it was built from the bottom up in France. It would be to costly and logistically a nightmare.

I'm home now, and thought I'd quickly address some of the questions/comments:

Bilyclub, I just got off the Monarch, less than 24 hours ago. The stretch was announced at the Platinum-Diamond Reception, in the presence of most of the top officers, including Captain Hakan Lindegren. I certainly hope you weren't implying that I was providing false information. Where did you get your information?

The news about the move of the Adventure did, indeed, come from very high sources.

Jean, sorry ... it ain't gonna happen. :( They started the bedding changeout 3 weeks ago and they're still not to Deck 5. I have it on authority that it won't be up to Deck 10 when you're on, next Friday. :(

Jennifer31, the Jade menu was in a plastic sleve and short of stealing the entire menu, I wasn't able to get one for you. However, most of the sushi is around $2 per roll (3 pieces) and has a small variety of rolls, nigiri, ebi ... There are some combinations which were in the $4 to $6 category. On the last night, we had the following: nigiri sushi $3; spicy tuna roll $2.50; 2 Philly roll $2 each; Wasabi Calif Roll $2; Mexican roll $2.50; tuna tataki $4. The total: $18! Cheap!!! With your order, you get hot tea, edamame and miso soup. I hope this helps! :)

Any other questions? ~ L

Just an FYI to Ladylawyer, the OP.....RCCL does not move ALL ships except the Monarch to the Caribbean. As far as I know, the Vision stays in SoCal all winter.

You're correct. :o As they say in football, upon further review, the Vision goes to Canada/Alaska in the Summer, leaving only the Monarch in Southern CA, while the Radiance and Serenade head to the Caribbean in the Winter and are mostly in Alaska/Canada during the Summer. Without a doubt, another ship, permanently based on the West Coast, would be great! ~ L

I'm home now, and thought I'd quickly address some of the questions/comments:

Any other questions? ~ L

Welcome back! Sounds like you enjoyed the trip. How was the nightlife and entertainment this time around?

...waiting patiently for Jan 08th....

In addition the Monarch and Vision don't have a concierge lounge so the only perk, for Diamond members, is one more cruise credit

Diamond members get an extra cruise credit when sailing on ships without a Concierge Lounge????? Never heard about this. We sailed a week in a D1 on Vision & got only 1 credit not 2 & nothing for Diamond members onboard.

In addition the Monarch and Vision don't have a concierge lounge so the only perk, for Diamond members, is one more cruise credit

Diamond members get an extra cruise credit when sailing on ships without a Concierge Lounge????? Never heard about this. We sailed a week in a D1 on Vision & got only 1 credit not 2 & nothing for Diamond members onboard.

I think they meant that you only get a cruise credit not an additional one.

Welcome back Lorna

Sounds exciting! We board next Monday for our 2nd cruise--1st on Monarch! Can't wait!!

It sounds exciting to have another ship coming to CA! CA is drivable for us avoiding an expensive flight! sounds like we'll have to check it out! Thanks again!!

Monarch CANNOT be stretched, as the previous poster said, due to it's construction. This kinda puts into question some of the other info they gave you at the Platinum & Diamond event....

I know for a fact that a Voyager class ship will eventually be going to the west coast, but there are big considerations for it..... remember that Voyager class has no covered pool, anyone doing the riviera in the winter knows how cold and windy those days at sea are, also there are limited dry dock facilities out west for a ship the size of Voyager.

Talking of stretching, someone mentioned Grandeur being stretched in 2008... that is not happening. Granduer is going in for drydock in 2007, purely for routine dry dock work and to have the hole repaired in the bow. There will be no dry dock after that until 2010ish.

Monarch CANNOT be stretched, as the previous poster said, due to it's construction. This kinda puts into question some of the other info they gave you at the Platinum & Diamond event....

The info on the Adventure did not come at the Platinum/Diamond Reception; it came in a private conversation with 2 of the ship's officers. However, can you think of why they would announce the stretch, to a group of the higher ranking loyalty program members, in the presence of many of the ship's officers, including the Master, if it was not true? I'm not an engineer, nor do I have any expertise in ship construction. I deal with people. I'm mystified as to what motive or advantage they would have to disseminate false information.

Perhaps some of the folks who are going to be on her later this week can get a better answer for you. At this time, I stand by what I heard and, having no reason not to trust the sources, I will continue to believe that it is accurate.

I believe you, Lorna! It does appear, however, that RCI corporate is good at changing its collective mind - it was posted by another unimpeachable source that Navigator was coming here in 2007, and that's not coming to pass, either.

Did they happen to mention if Adventure was going to be an additional ship or replace Vision?

Maybe they're going to stretch her sideways, as in adding balconies the way Celebrity did with Century. I confess that I would hate to see them add more cabins - at 2650 can be quite crowded at times, and unless they were adding a lot more length, more passengers would be icky (that's a precise technical term, in case you were wondering).

Guest allylaw
Vision and Rhapsody can't be cut in half like Grandeur and Enchantment. Vision and Rhapsody were built in France and they build the ships from the bottom up and not in blocks like the Finish yards do which make them unstretchable.

To whomever is debating the stretch plans for the Monarch...

I was there with Lorna when the two ship's officers told us about the Monarch stretch...look at the above quote...if the Monarch was built in Finland, then what we heard was absolutely correct. I too doubt that two senior ship's officers would try to mislead two very loyal RCCL passengers (and one newbie--me)...

Talking of stretching, someone mentioned Grandeur being stretched in 2008... that is not happening. Granduer is going in for drydock in 2007, purely for routine dry dock work and to have the hole repaired in the bow. There will be no dry dock after that until 2010ish.

While I am not one of these people who think they have all the "behind the scenes" details, the info about Grandeur came directly from Adam Goldstein when we were on the Freedom maiden voyage. Things always change, but the source was pretty good. :rolleyes:

While I am not one of these people who think they have all the "behind the scenes" details, the info about Grandeur came directly from Adam Goldstein when we were on the Freedom maiden voyage. Things always change, but the source was pretty good. :rolleyes:

I heard Goldstien say the same thing.

Perhaps he is like President Bush and really has no idea whats going on....LOL

All this talk is exciting! We'll be on the Monarch in December for the first time. Since she is in LA year round & it is an easy drive for us we're really hoping that we'll like her. Also excited about a Voyageur class ship coming this wasy. I hope its true................:cool:

During the time a ship is in drydock, what happens to the Captain and crew, waiters and room staff, etc.??? Just wondering....:)

Fran in Toronto

Archived