Traditional Dining for 2, will we have to share a table?

rinse82

Hi there,

Me and my girlfriend are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on Feb 11, 2007 for Valentines Day.

We have chosen Traditional Dining, first seating and are wondering what are the chances that we are paired up with another couple and placed at a table for 4?

I ask this because on a cruise I went on last year with my family, I noticed a few separate couples that were placed at a single table.

Hi there,

Me and my girlfriend are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on Feb 11, 2007 for Valentines Day.

We have chosen Traditional Dining, first seating and are wondering what are the chances that we are paired up with another couple and placed at a table for 4?

I ask this because on a cruise I went on last year with my family, I noticed a few separate couples that were placed at a single table.

rinse82,

Having been on the CB several times there may be few or perhaps no tables for 2 in the traditional dining room. I would suggest that when after you board you find Sabatini Restaurant where they have a table set up for dining inquiries and consider switching to Personal Choice to guarantee a table for 2 if that's what you want.

I am in a similar situation. We are confirmed for Traditional Second Seating on the Diamond in 2 weeks. When we booked (over a year ago) we requested a table for 2. While I know that it cannot be guaranteed we were told by our T/A (who is excellent) who confirmed w/Princess that tables for 2 are available on the Diamond. Hopefully we will get it. I will check the dining room upon boarding. If we did not get a table for 2, I will switch to anytime. BTW, when we were on the CB in 1/05 we had a table for 2 directly next to us (Not a table for 4 with 2 people). Therefore I can confirm they are available on the CB

I recall tables for two in the traditional dining room on CB. I can't tell you how many but I know I looked across at one of them. I would go check as soon as you board to see what you have been assigned to and make your decsion from there.

Good luck - I hope you get what you want.

I am in a similar situation. We are confirmed for Traditional Second Seating on the Diamond in 2 weeks. When we booked (over a year ago) we requested a table for 2. While I know that it cannot be guaranteed we were told by our T/A (who is excellent) who confirmed w/Princess that tables for 2 are available on the Diamond. Hopefully we will get it. I will check the dining room upon boarding. If we did not get a table for 2, I will switch to anytime. BTW, when we were on the CB in 1/05 we had a table for 2 directly next to us (Not a table for 4 with 2 people). Therefore I can confirm they are available on the CB

We were on the Diamond last year and selected PC dining so we could have a table for two. What we didn't know was that the tables for two are all lined up next to each other and are less than two feet apart. It was very awkward for us to have a conversation or not turn to look at the person next to you who was talking. Just about every night we ended up talking to the people on both sides of us. It actually turned out nice, because we had different dinner companions every night and even met a couple who lived in our neighborhood. But if you want to be secluded, you should check the PC restaurants before you switch.

If you just HAVE to have a table for two, you're better off switching to Anytime. However, you do miss one of the benefits of cruising, and that is to get to know and talk to other people. So, unless you have a social anxiety disorder, you may find you like having tablemates.

But, to each, his/her own...

paulfredo

quote=paulfredo]If you just HAVE to have a table for two, you're better off switching to Anytime. However, you do miss one of the benefits of cruising, and that is to get to know and talk to other people. So, unless you have a social anxiety disorder, you may find you like having tablemates.

paulfredo

When we were seeking a table for two it was because we were celebrating our 25th anniversary. We just wanted to relax and remember all the wonderful time we spent together. We didn't have a social anxiety disorder. We raised five children and come from huge families. We just wanted to be alone, enjoy each other with good food and fine wine.

If you just HAVE to have a table for two, you're better off switching to Anytime. However, you do miss one of the benefits of cruising, and that is to get to know and talk to other people. So, unless you have a social anxiety disorder, you may find you like having tablemates.

We have also requested a table for 2 on the Diamond in November. We are celebrating our 60th birthdays and 40th anniversary and wanted to enjoy our dinner, wine and conversation and make it all about us ;-))

The past several cruises we have sailed with relatives and friends. We always share tables for breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner but this cruise we just wanted to have it all to ourselves.

Isn't that the beauty of a cruise?

Cheers, Denise

When I was on the Sun for my Honeymoon in May 2005, we requested Traditional First Seating, Table for 2 and got it. I understand what you mean by wanting to be alone. We requested a table for 4 (for us and my parents) on our next cruise. If you get on the cruise and don't have one, either swtich to Anytime and make a reservation for a table for 2 each night or go see the Maitre D the first day and see if you can get it in traditional. Good Luck and Enjoy your cruise.

So, unless you have a social anxiety disorder, you may find you like having tablemates.

It's not that I don't like having tablemates, but that I prefer having meals alone with my husband on vacation. I wouldn't ask to join other people at their table when I'm in a resort restaurant, and I don't feel like doing that on a cruise, either.

I apologize to anyone who I may have offended. I tried to make the point (poorly apparently) that each couple may have reasons to want to dine alone... not everyone has the same motivation. Sometimes, however some folks haven't tried being seated with others, and though that's not something typically in my comfort zone, each time it has worked out pretty well. There's nothing wrong with wanting to have dinner with one special person. So, if you have a specific motivation for wanting seating for two, I encourage people to go for it... And really, that is one of the reasons why anytime dining is an advantage, which would be my advice which is worth as much as was paid for it.

paulfredo

We have sailed twice on the Caribbean Princess and suggest you change to "Anytime Dining". There are 2 restaurants in "Anytime Dining" you can have dinner in each evening and there are Tables for 2. No problem! The "Palm" and the "Coral". The "Palm" being the larger of the 2 and has more Tables for 2's. In fact, if you want to have dinner at the same time every evening in the same restaurant with the same wait staff, you can make a standard reservation. That is what We did. Everynight a Table for 2 was waiting for us at the time We requested in the "Palm" Dining Room. People who just show up without a reservation which is perfectly fine, sometimes will have to wait for a table. You will go directly to your assigned table.Give this option some thought and then if you want to change call your Travel Agent and let them know You want to make a Dining change. Enjoy "Valentines Day" on your cruise. IKE

Although you can get a table for two more likely in anytime dining, be aware that many of those are a very small distance from the next "table for two", just a few inches. At this distance it seemed uncomfortable for some to be silent towards the diners at the next table. DH and I wanted to be alone on our anniversary and the people next to us refused to stop talking to us even when we mentioned it was a special night and we really wanted to be alone. I kind of understood tho, we were so close it was almost like we were dining together and I think they were just trying to be nice...This repeated every night of the cruise.

I'd stick with traditional if you like it, ask for a table for two, or if you are at a larger table at least you have the traditional experience.

Hi there,

We have done about every configuration of dining in just a few cruises. We most enjoyed the first version of PC, being seated at a large table with total strangers.

If your set on a small table, get your TA onto the project. As soon as you get on the ship, go to the dining room. You may have a $20 bill at the ready for quicker response.

Having been on this cruise before and on this ship all I can tell you is if you want a quiet dinner for two you also have the option of going up to cafe cribe and eating there. My wife and I did this a couple of times (still good food). We are also on this ship at that time and we have always had a great time (we have the same seating as you). Ian

paulfredo

Paul - I do not have a social anxiety disorder but I insist on a table for 2 - I would rather go hungry then to go back to the time where you were forced into dining with others. Have been there done it and will never go back. I feel it is the biggest negative in cruising.

To the OP switch to anytime dining, walk through the dining room and find a great table for 2 (they do have them) and reserve it every night.

My husband and I celebrated our 35th on the Diamond two years ago and wanted the two top as well. First night we were in Sterling....a banquette with a couple very close on both sides. For the rest of the sailing, we were in Pacific Moon at a wonderful two top right near the serving station. I can't remember the table number, but you might check it out when you board.

Good Luck!

We are going on the IP in Oct. to Hawaii We were told at the time of booking that we were better off to book the Traditional dining and hope to get a table for two. What I'm hearing here is that I would be better off doing PC. I know that once you switch to PC from Trad. you can't go back. Should I just wait till we get on board to see where they have put us. If we don't like it we can then go to PC and get the same table every night, same time, right??:confused:

We are going on the IP in Oct. to Hawaii We were told at the time of booking that we were better off to book the Traditional dining and hope to get a table for two. What I'm hearing here is that I would be better off doing PC. I know that once you switch to PC from Trad. you can't go back. Should I just wait till we get on board to see where they have put us. If we don't like it we can then go to PC and get the same table every night, same time, right??:confused:

I would wait until you board and check out your dining assignment. If you don't like it switch to PC, once you find a great table for 2 reserve it for the rest of the cruise.

Teachergal, we were on the IP to celebrate our Anniversary. We booked, and received a table for two in early traditional dining. When we got to our table, we found that it was about 2 inches away from another table for two, and surrounded by larger tables. Our waitstaff was terrific, and tried, but were so busy with the larger tables, that we were kind of last, and we had no privacy with the other table for 2 so close. We switched to Personal Choice and had a table for two any time we wanted one. Some of the two tops were 2 inches apart, but some were against the walls, and private, and those were the ones we liked the best. We also ate at Horizon Court several times, where they served most of the same food.........for dinner, anyway.

Hope everyone has a great cruise, and the privacy or companionship that they desire.

Sounds to me like the 2 top tables are set up in a "bistro" type configuration, not your local Applebee's. Many smaller places are like this in San Francisco.

I've been to many restaurants like this and it really is not a problem.

It seems you're getting some contradictory advice, but one of the good things about these board is you can get different perspectives. The process of making the change from traditional to PC isn't particularly complicated, but it does take some time and effort. Personally, I don't like having to spend the time to do it, and you sometimes have to wait around in a cue to get it done instead of spending your time enjoying the ship. So, it's not a BIG deal to change once onboard. However, if you know you want a table for two, and since you can get that AND make a reservation each night for the same table, why not go ahead and change to PC and save the trouble of having to do it onboard?

paulfredo

Archived