Tipping and dress code

milestone

My sister and I are taking my mother for her first cruise on the Uniworld Danube Highlights in October (Budapest to Passau). I would like some advice about tipping protocols and appropriate dress i.e., are jeans and walking shoes okay for day excursions? How dressy is the Captain's dinner? Any other advice about the cruise would be welcome.

milestone,

River cruises are much more casual than ocean cruises. Jeans and walking shoes are perfect for the day. Some people like to dress up a bit for dinner. It´s usually no jeans and T-shirts for dinner. You definitely won´t need a tux or evening gown for the Captain´s dinner. Just dress up a bit nicer, like black slacks and a dressy top. Sports jacket and tie are usually o.k. for men.

Use the search on this board and you´ll find a lot of threads regarding the dress codes on river cruises.

steamboats

Milestone,

No worries, Rivercruiseing is very relaxed. You'll find the cruise Director mentioning "no shorts" for dinner. Which except for some Australian guests you will not see anyway in October. Captains dinner is not at all comparable with the seaships. Our captains are working captains, which means that if the dinner takes place during sailing hours, the captain quite often is not even there. Forget the "show"captains. Our captains really sail the ship. Concerning tipping. Quite often there will be two envelopes provided to you at the end of the cruise. One for the crew and one for the cruise director who, most of the time, is not a crewmember and really doing a lot for you. You will be provived with a suggestion about the amount to tip.

Enjoy your cruise.

heintje

So far we have only cruised on Uniworld. They discourage jeans in the dining room at dinner, but we saw dress pants, dockers, jeans and one very hot nite even shorts. It is good to follow the dress suggestions. However, if you return from a shore excursion just at dinner time, no one is going to comment on what you are wearing. With the new weight restrictions, carrying a lot of changes is highly impractile (sp?). Personally, what you wear is not important to me on a river cruise Among the retirees, many do not like to getvery dressed up. My husband gave up on sports jackets for these cruises and fit in very well. Safe travels. Pat

We decided not to take up the space with a sport jacket that will be worn for such a short time. My husband will take a dress shirt and tie. We are not there for a fashion show. And we certainly aren't trying to impress anyone. We heard that river cruises were much more casual than ocean cruises. He used to take a tux on the Med/European cruises. Then just a suit and finally a sport coat. Now, not even that. We are there to have fun and relax and sightsee. From what we read; they are not party boats and that will be fine with us. We are in our 50's, still work full-time and need some R & R. Judy, going on Vantage

Archived