What to do in Isla Margarita, Grenada and St.Kitts?

Camille23

Hello,

I am going next week on a cruise to this islands and I've never gone to any of them, and I was wondering if any of you could give me hints of what to do on these islands and the best non-beach tours(with prices if possible) considering I live in P.R. an island with many beaches.

Thanks in advance.

P.D. I'll be waiting for your replies.

Camille23 .... Gosh -- just didn't want you to think you were being ignored!

Problem is ... Everyone else is probably having the same problem we are. THE ONLY EXCURSIONS WE HAVE DONE ON ANY OF THESE ISLANDS HAVE BEEN BEACH/WATER SPORTS. :o

The only "tiny bit" of info we have is that one of the couples at our table took "The City Tour" in Isla Margarita and said that it was a long day BUT really enjoyed it.

Wish we could help more! :o

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

St. Kitts is a wonderful island that you should explore. Either on a ships’ tour or, preferably a taxi-tour.

If you don’t do anything else on this wonderful little island, please visit Brimstone Hill Fortress. It is without match in the Caribbean. Close to Brimstone is Romney Manor, home of the Caribelle Batik factory. A very interesting place even if you just enjoy the view and the landscaping.

Grenada? A unique and exquisitely beautiful island. This is really the place to rent a car or take a taxi tour.

Please see The Nutmeg Processing plant, Dougaldston Estate and have a wonderful lunch at the Mount Rodney Estate and tour the grounds afterward.

Don’t miss Concord Falls and if you are lucky enough to make it to the East Coast, see Annandale Falls. Another key site is Grand Etang National Park. There is a lot more but you probably won’t have the time. Trust your taxi driver to get you to the best spots within your time frame.

Isla de Margarita, or IDM. I don’t want to influence you one way or the other on this island. I think you should experience it firsthand and draw your own conclusions.

Two things I can tell you: There is a small beach within walking distance from the ship and a few local vendors have booths on the way to the beach.

Secondly, should you decide to take a non-ships’ tour, walk to the BACK of the myriad of taxi and tour people that surround the end of the gangplank and you will find a tour on a nice air conditioned bus that will take you into town and see a few sights for about US$10/ea. It’s the best deal there. Being from PR, I assume you speak Spanish, which will come in handy. For some reason my Spanish was ineffective there, I just got raised eyebrows and smiles (?).

Anyway, with the exception of IDM, I encourage you to take a taxi tour. You will see more, have less waiting and learn more, and probably pay less than a tour offered by the ship.

Don’t scrimp on St. Kitts or Grenada. IDM you’re on your own. :)

I agree the fortress and batik shop are worth the trip.

IDM - DON'T TAKE THE PARTY BUS that's probably listed in your ships tour unless you truely like to be surrounded by drunk people on an open air bus.

It was a one in a life time excursion for us. That's my fair warning.

I've been doing a bit of research on IDM and came across a couple of sites:

This one has some good general informaion:

http://www.islamargarita.com/islamargaritaa.htm

And this one has info on some excursions:

http://www.casatrudel.com/MargaritaIslandActivities.htm

Has anyone had any success doing the horseback riding not through the cruise line? It's mentioned on this site (casatrudel) but they say they do not accept bookings from cruise passengers - probably because Princess charges $89 per person and the true cost is $45 per person. Sure Princess provides transportation but this mark-up seems extreme.

St. Kitt's: I highly recommend taking a taxi tour (most of the drivers have some tourist training and are pretty good). Be sure to see Brimstone Hill (spectacular fort with great views), Caribelle Batik and the surrounding gardens are on the way and worth a stop.

Grenada: the rain forest

In Saint Thomas, we did Godfrey's tour: 1,2 or 3 hours of shopping, 2 hour tour of island, 2 hours of beach time at your choice of 3 beaches-all for $20pp. If you look on St. Thomas board you can fin his website as well as more info about him. In Aruba we rented a jeep and toured the island ourselves and stoppped at Baby Beach. St. Kitts, we did a taxi tour but would not recommend the driver we had and I can't remember his name. If you book with Eddie tell him Sheila from the Golden Princess gave you his name.

sblue - thanks for the info... do you have any other good tidbits for a fellow New Jerseyan going on the Golden on 8/29? How about the other islands? Thanks,

When you get back let us know what you ended up doing in the ports. We are going a month later 9/26

• 4 weeks later...
Hey West Coast - Are all cruises not going to Isla Margarita - Is Princess taking us anywhere else?? How did you find out??? What's happening???

Same question here. I see they recently changed our Caracas stop ot Isla Margarita for our 10/24 cruise on the Golden and wish they would give us something different. What ship are you on?

Archived