$$ Deposit to waitlist??

krewzin

I'm currently trying to book the Noordam next year, but since one of the specific cabins we want isn't available on the date we want, we're gonna hafta get put on a waitlist.

The TA wants a $350 deposit for the waitlisted cabin (along w/a $350 per person deposit on the other cabin we're going to hold).

I've never heard of putting down a deposit on a waitlisted cabin ...is this the norm and/or specific to HAL?

I've never been in that position, but I would think the extra $350 for the waitlisted cabin would ensure you'd get it "if" it becomes available...no one will have to "contact" you and see if you "still" want it (and have it "get away" while waiting for your response).

Besides, it's $350 less you'll have to pay come final payment date.

If I really wanted the waitlisted cabin, I wouldn't hesitate to try to increase my odds of getting it, just in case....

Just my thoughts...:)

Paul

I'm currently trying to book the Noordam next year, but since one of the specific cabins we want isn't available on the date we want, we're gonna hafta get put on a waitlist.

The TA wants a $350 deposit for the waitlisted cabin (along w/a $350 per person deposit on the other cabin we're going to hold).

I've never heard of putting down a deposit on a waitlisted cabin ...is this the norm and/or specific to HAL?

So your TA wants $700 pp? What is the usual deposit pp? I think it's about $600 pp for our cruise in December (I just did a fake reservation to figure it out). So I guess your TA is just splitting the deposit on 2 rooms?

It's been a few years since we were on the waitlist for a cabin. But it was a specific cruise around South America - and needed one of the four handicap accessible cabins. Our TA told us if were put down a deposit - as opposed to just being added to any wait list - we would go to the top of the list for the wait listed cabin. Sure enough - one of the accessible

cabins became available - so it definitely worked for us.

However, last year we asked to be on a wait list for a specific handicap accessible cabin and at that time we were told we could only be on the wait list for a cabin in that category. Obviously since only an accessible cabins was necessary - we didn't add our names to to the wait list.

So - if you are able to be wait listed for a specific cabin number - go for it !

Hi

I can't speak to the $$ amount requested part, but I can tell you that for my upcoming Maasdam sailing I was told the same thing. The TA stated HAL requires a deposit to be wait-listed. Hope this helps.

PS BTW, ultimately I got my requested cabin but not through that TA, found out later since it was a group seminar for that sailing most ofthe balconies had been bought up. I noly got a BA (AB whatever its called) because someone in the seminar cancelled so I booked through the medical seminar company. If its not a particularly high demand sailing you probably have a pretty high liklihood of getting your waitlisted cabin. Lord knows anything can happen to people :( resulting in having to cancel - their loss your gain.

Good Luck

So your TA wants $700 pp? What is the usual deposit pp? I think it's about $600 pp for our cruise in December (I just did a fake reservation to figure it out). So I guess your TA is just splitting the deposit on 2 rooms?

No, the TA wants $350 pp for the available cabin ($700).

...and then for the waitlisted cabin another $350 total (net of $1,050).

I can't speak to the $$ amount requested part, but I can tell you that for my upcoming Maasdam sailing I was told the same thing. The TA stated HAL requires a deposit to be wait-listed. Hope this helps.

Ok...thank you.

I've been waitlisted on cruises in the past (years ago), but never before required to put down a deposit for a cabin I didn't have. I dunno if this is a HAL thing, or industry wide now ...but I guess to a degree it makes sense. But if I don't get the cabin, they'll have been holding my $1050 for quite a long time!

But if I don't get the cabin, they'll have been holding my $1050 for quite a long time!

Guess it just depends on if it's worth it (the extra $350) to try for the cabin you want! Only you can decide....:) They'll have a chunk of your money either way...and I can't imagine that you'd earn that much interest on the "extra" $350! ($17.50 @ 5% for a year?) I guess I'm saying I'd go for it if I really wanted that cabin!

Paul

What did your TA say happens to the deposit on your non-waitlisted cabin if your waitlisted one comes through. Is it refunded? Applied to the cabin you eventually get? What happens to your waitlist deposit if you do not get it?

Just curious. Any experience here?

No, the TA wants $350 pp for the available cabin ($700).

...and then for the waitlisted cabin another $350 total (net of $1,050).

I guess my point was missed. What I meant by my post was to ask what HAL usually charges per person for a deposit. For the Christmas cruise it's $600 pp. So with you paying $1050 its $525 a person which is lower than what HAL is asking for a deposit on one room normally.

I hope you get it figured out! It's always important to know where you money is any what will happen to it in any event. Good luck figuring this out!

Some time ago, we wanted a Suite for a particular cruise. There were none available but we put a deposit to go on the waitlist and within a month, a Suite because available and we got to sail on that cruise in the category cabin we wanted.

We made the choice to agree to their terms....by placing a deposit, they knew we were serious.

We ultimately got what we wanted.

They'll have a chunk of your money either way...and I can't imagine that you'd earn that much interest on the "extra" $350! ($17.50 @ 5% for a year?) I guess I'm saying I'd go for it if I really wanted that cabin!

The cabin we have booked is for half of the family, while the waitlisted cabin is for the other half ...so if we don't get the waitlisted cabin we cancel the cruise ...so it's more than just the $350. Still, looking at it that way we'd maybe lose $50 in interest...no big deal (especially if we end up getting the cruise)!

If putting up the deposit shows them we're serious about the cruise, then so be it ...I'll put down the deposit.

Just in case we don't get it ....we've got a similar itinerary and accomodations booked on Celebrity, so I've got several thousand dollars tied up in cruises.

I'd prefer HAL.

AlohaPride...my experience with HAL has been that they require $350 pp deposit. At least that's what it's been for our last couple cruises....

Thanks hb...yes, they do have a cancellation fee (which *I* think is ludicrous), but ...they have agreed to waive it. 'Cancellation' and 'change' fees really get my goat.

I've been very happy with this (new) TA thus far.

Granted this was for the Millenium but this is what we did:

For a wait list, $1000.00p.p. for a 10 day cruise

$ 500.00 p.p. for two 7 day cruises

Total- $ 4000.00 deposit for waitlisting

The 10 day cruise came through first and the other two deposits went toward the 10 day.

We were told we could have waitlisted with out the deposit and been put at the end of the list or put down the deposit and be put at the top of the list. We did not want any catagory lower than a mini suite so we knew we were being really fussy about that and narrowing our chance of getting onboard especially for a special sailing. This was six months before the cruise and we felt crunched. So we dove right in and got what we wanted.

Sometimes Chimera says, "It's only money and we can't take it with us.":D

Linda

Archived