10 Cruise Etiquette Tips (From Tripso E-mail)

laginog

Love it, thanks for posting it, just perfect. Now can RCCL send that with the cruise tickets to everyone that books a cruise!! However I can understand the comment about flaunting the jewels. We were in the theatre one night to watch a show. There was a couple a head of us and she had a big beautiful diamond ring and bracelet on that must have been new. She kept her arm round her husbands neck most of evening and kept looking at her ring and making it flash in the lights (this was before the show started and the lights went out). It was quite clear she loved her new jewelry but also wanted everyone behind her to see it. She would look at it, flash it, look behind her, etc. No one said a word to her. We got a chuckle out of it and her husband had no idea....people watching on the ships is amazing!! :D

Speaking of show offs....We were on a cruise a few years ago and some of the people at our table during high tea, were bragging about the stateroom they occupied, what their profession was, etc....When they asked my husband what he did, he answered (with a straight face)..."I'm a bum". They stared at me and I said to him.."Be serious". He repeated the same thing again. :eek: I nearly slid under the table. (I do wear my jewelry because I'm old, and darn it...I want to enjoy it before I die. Hahaha....OH YES, AND I also ask for a 2nd entree sometimes if I feel like it. I'm a size 10 or 12 and not a pig, but hey...what the heck...go ahead and roast me if it makes anyone happy) :p

Wonderful post by the OP. I'd like to add a positive.

Smile at everyone, they have to smile back. You might just change another persons day by this simple act. I kind of make it a game for myself walking through malls, cruise ships, at work or whever I am. I've never had a person not smile back (eventually) :)

Wonderful post by the OP. I'd like to add a positive.

Smile at everyone, they have to smile back. You might just change another persons day by this simple act. I kind of make it a game for myself walking through malls, cruise ships, at work or whever I am. I've never had a person not smile back (eventually) :)

You are so right...Every cruise, my DH takes a nap and I wander and always meet new people. Every day he asks.."Did you meet anybody who LIKES you today?" (Whether I did or not, I always joke, "what...are you CRAZY??? EVERYbody likes me".);)

I can understand you being a watch nut and wanting to buy and wear different types of watches at different prices. Again, only speaking for myself, I find it interesting, not necessarily offensive (after all, what's there to be offended at?) when men and women on a cruise wear jewelry that is unusually large and eye catching. And at the risk of sounding sexist (no offense intended ladies!) when a woman is wearing the Rock of Gibralter on two of her fingers, and both wrists and around her neck, I can't help but think that this is a person starving for attention. But offended by it? Not at all.

Just tell me you don't wear pinkie rings! ;)

Hmmmm, I have a few beautiful pieces of jewelry that we worked darned hard to be able to afford. Actually one is my "everything" ring that DH gave me because we went through the first 10 years of our marriage not able to afford anything for each other.

The other is a piece that was laft to me by my stepmother. I wear these at home just about anytime.... even to the grocery if thats where I have to stop while I have them on. I hope no one is offended by my wearing them on the cruise, becasue, ..welllll... I am going to wear them anyway.

I am not the least bit offended when someone else wears beautiful jewelry or furs( well maybe not furs, I like animals too much:eek: ). I love to look at and oggle the jewelry. And I was never offended by looking at it when we couldn't afford it.. so , I guess I don't get it.

Denial of What???

I ask the OP a reasonable question. He finds watches and jeweelry offensive is it a phobia of some sort?

I agree with the rest of the post whole heartedly.

but thanks for answering for him.

The OP didn't write what he posted. Pay attention!

Hmmmm, I have a few beautiful pieces of jewelry that we worked darned hard to be able to afford. Actually one is my "everything" ring that DH gave me because we went through the first 10 years of our marriage not able to afford anything for each other.

The other is a piece that was laft to me by my stepmother. I wear these at home just about anytime.... even to the grocery if thats where I have to stop while I have them on. I hope no one is offended by my wearing them on the cruise, becasue, ..welllll... I am going to wear them anyway.

I am not the least bit offended when someone else wears beautiful jewelry or furs( well maybe not furs, I like animals too much:eek: ). I love to look at and oggle the jewelry. And I was never offended by looking at it when we couldn't afford it.. so , I guess I don't get it.

Re-read my post. I thought I was clear in that bling bling doesn't offend me at all. If anything, it amuses me that folks need to show it off so much. I wonder what the deep psychological reason for that might be.

Dennis Miller has a great line as to why men drive Hummers. But if I repeat it here, there's no doubt it would be deleted! :D And I would be suspended! :eek:

I think the list is great, and if I hadn't taken my most recent cruise I would not have added anything to it. However....

DH is 84 and uses a walker. On our latest cruise children who were somewhere in the 8-10 age range, perhaps a wee bit younger or older, ran rampant with no adults in sight even though the ship's policy says that's not to happen. That alone was not the issue. The problem was that on several occasions these kids ran into my husband and his walker and never stopped to apologize. Other times he managed to get out of the way and avoided being hit. On the last full day of the cruise I stopped three of the little souls and fussed at them because I'd had it.

So, another rule: To parents: Supervise your children at all times and if you don't, remind them that there are people of all ages and abilities on the ship who need to be treated with courtesy.

And one final word. The teenagers were great! They were polite and courteous and helpful at all times.

So that's my 2 cents worth.

I thought it could be summed up by saying, "Make sure that your enjoyment of the cruise does not interfere with everyone else's enjoyment of the cruise." That, and the golden rule.... no, the other golden rule that says, "Do until others...."

I like to wear my rolexs I wear them everyday why shouldn't I wear them

on a cruise? I wear my Patek Philippe do you find those more offensive?

because they cost more than a Rolex?

My wife wears her jewels every day also.

I don't get why expensive jewels and watches offend you?

Now all you keyboard cowboys back off I'm only intrested in

the OP's answer. thank you

The worst cruise I've ever been on was wonderful.

john

I don't find them offensive unless you're just wearing them to show off. That being said, smart travelers do not flash expensive items on a cruise. You are setting yourself up to be a target of a crime. On our first cruise we were seated next to a man on the Lido deck wearing more chains than Mr. T. He looked like a pimp!

The OP, BTW, is a woman, not a man. And when you post in an open forum, you are likely to get answers you don't want, but you have no control over that either. Kathi's post was from an e-mail she received. No more, no less.

Excellent topic... bravo.

Here are two other things to remember. Just because they are your waiter, cabin attendant, etc doesn't mean you shouldn't use the words:

Please and Thank You

Having recently come off the Constellation I was appalled at the number of passengers who failed to say please or thank you just because the person they were talking to worked on the ship. Is it that hard to say "Please" when asking for something and "Thank You" when you receive it? It's only common courtesy.

I will chime in here because I truly know what the author was thinking--not the OP.

Some of what was posted was lost in the translation. The point was not that it offends, but that it could end up causing you trouble. If anyone has done any extensive traveling, you ought to know that ANY show of wealth (or if you must ostentation) may be asking for trouble. To the poster that initially took offense....it is quite possible that a crew member (who is exposed to this every day) takes note that you and your wife look like people of "serious means". Well while you are dining, maybe the ring your wife did NOT wear goes missing.

Not saying that it is routine, but it happens. I also am sure there was a link to a column on cruise safety as well.

Here is a link to the column:

http://www.tripso.com/archives/2006/08/etiquette.html

We had a table of eight and each night of our 5 night cruise, the other three couples would sit around the dinner table and try to out do each other with what their spouses bought them in port that day. They always included the price that they paid (and probably added a couple hundred) and the great deal they received. Well, my wife and I have a very good friend at home who is a jeweler, so we never even look in the jewelry stores in port...Well on the last night of our cruise my wife was fed up with these boastfu, snooty people and pulled out the shell necklace we bought for our 5 year old daughter and proceeded to act out just as the other couples had!! It was absolutely priceless to hear her brag about the two dollar shells I had bought for her that day.

I think this is the attitude referred to in the original post....

If I can put my two cents in here.... The OP didn't mention parents who assume nothing bad will happen to their kids on a cruise ship and let them run wild all over the ship.Yes, their parents paid for their cruise but does that mean I have to endure them bouncing from bench to bench in the lounge knocking things off the tables and generally being giant PITA's. The crew is loathe to say anything because they might "get in trouble".

PARENTS, WATCH YOUR KIDS !!!!!

If I can put my two cents in here.... The OP didn't mention parents who assume nothing bad will happen to their kids on a cruise ship and let them run wild all over the ship.Yes, their parents paid for their cruise but does that mean I have to endure them bouncing from bench to bench in the lounge knocking things off the tables and generally being giant PITA's. The crew is loathe to say anything because they might "get in trouble".

PARENTS, WATCH YOUR KIDS !!!!!

Children watch your parents! To be honest, I have traveled fairly extensively and loathe the crying baby in my ear on a plane just as much as the next person, but all in all, I have had very few trips where I have seen kids out of control. Sure there are some, but more often than not--especially on a cruise or at an AI, it is the parents who get a lot more irresponsible. Kids will push the buttons in the elevator, parents will try to balance a chair on their forehead!

There is my 2 cents!

John, glad there's no pinkie rings for you! :)

I fail to see a problem with a pinky ring. I wear a simple stainless steel pinky ring as a symbol of an oath I once took. If someone has a problem with that, I try not to let their ignorance have any effect on me.

No one will convince me that excessive drinking is not a huge factor in all the recent “crimes” at sea.

Sure, just blame everything except the person who commits the crime. Alcohol doesn't cause crime, people do.

DH looks like one of Tony Soprano's family...he wears a ring on his smallest finger because it was my Dad's, who was smaller. My Dad treated my DH better than his own father had treated him. DH was a Marine in Viet Nam and is no wimp.

I would hate to think people are going to be as petty as to make snide remarks about a "pinkie ring"????? Or were you just joking??

I have traveled fairly extensively and loathe the crying baby in my ear on a plane just as much as the next person

I am not trying to flame you for your opinion and I do understand it but... not everyone loathes a crying baby on a plane, etc. Some of us look at it as an opportunity to remind ourselves of the wonders of life and that there is a future. That crying baby could turn out to be a policeman, fireman, religious member, medical professional, garbage collector, sewer worker or absolutely any other profession. Regardless of their status in life they may touch just one person and make that person's life better. Everyone is on earth for a reason and we all started out as crying babys. Just my opinion.

I took it as, if you're wearing it for us, don't bother. We don't care. If you're wearing for you, go right ahead. But be cautious. To the thief, it's an eye catcher. A bulls eye.

Yes, MrPete, I agree!! I know of an elderly couple who debarked in Jamaica, got into a "cab" (with the proper markings on it) and it had been carjacked from the cabbie that morning. The couple was taken to a tin-roofed shack and all the jewelry and cash was stripped from them. They finally met our ship at the next port. I wear my jewelry to please myself, but I either keep it in a velvet pouch pinned to inside of blouse, or in the safe when ashore. Good cruising!

I am not trying to flame you for your opinion and I do understand it but... not everyone loathes a crying baby on a plane, etc. Some of us look at it as an opportunity to remind ourselves of the wonders of life and that there is a future. That crying baby could turn out to be a policeman, fireman, religious member, medical professional, garbage collector, sewer worker or absolutely any other profession. Regardless of their status in life they may touch just one person and make that person's life better. Everyone is on earth for a reason and we all started out as crying babys. Just my opinion.

None taken. My point was more that the adults more than the children oft times are more to blame. Although a crying infant is a distraction certainly for a period of time, but they usually calm down and I agree with your perspective.

Archived