What is the best souvenier you've gotten in Bermuda?

RM

But, the most unusual items we brought home from our last Bermuda cruise, was a backpack FULL of sea glass we picked up at the beaches.

Cruising Grandma,

I am so happy that you enjoyed shopping in our beautiful Island.

I believe one of the mottos of America's National Parks is "Leave nothing but Footprints, take nothing but Photos". Our waterfront and beaches are part of our National Parks System.

A few pieces of glass, a handful of shells or a VERY small bottle of sand is one thing but a backpack FULL of anything is definitely discouraged.

Please, every one else do not do this.

CG, I am sorry if I have offended you, but I must discourage this behaviour or there will be NO seaglass left in a VERY short time if everyone took so much.

Happy Travels

Cindy

Hi CAT616! Perhaps you can help me. We were in Bermuda in July and there were vendors at Kings Wharf in the park area in the path from the ship to the glass blower, etc. One of them was a lady selling jewely made from shells. She had a heart with pearl necklace that I wanted to buy but unfortunately didn't have enough cash with me at the time. We are going again in Oct. but the ship will only be in Bermuda 1 day. Do you know if the vendors will be at Kings Wharf during the day at that time. My daughter said this same vendor was at Hamilton at night but I didn't see her at that time. Perhaps you know this vendor and know how I can contact her?

Hi CAT616! Perhaps you can help me. We were in Bermuda in July and there were vendors at Kings Wharf in the park area in the path from the ship to the glass blower, etc. One of them was a lady selling jewely made from shells. She had a heart with pearl necklace that I wanted to buy but unfortunately didn't have enough cash with me at the time. We are going again in Oct. but the ship will only be in Bermuda 1 day. Do you know if the vendors will be at Kings Wharf during the day at that time. My daughter said this same vendor was at Hamilton at night but I didn't see her at that time. Perhaps you know this vendor and know how I can contact her?

Hi Eleanor,

I do not know this lady but I will try to find her for you. I will get back to you in the next few days.

Happy Travels

Cindy

Hi Eleanor,

I do not know this lady but I will try to find her for you. I will get back to you in the next few days.

Happy Travels

Cindy

Hi Cindy! Thanks so much, I hope you are successful. The ship leaves NYC on Oct. 9 and will hopefully be in Bermuda that week. Glad to hear that Florence didn't do too much damage to your beautiful island.

Eleanor

Do you remember where the stand was? Near ST. David's Lighthouse, Clearwater beach or Dennis's Hideaway for example? Thanks:)

It was near the lighthouse, in June 1996 or 1998-but I can't say exactly where. I was hanging out at the lighthouse watching the finish of the Newport-Bermuda race and exploring the area waiting for "my" boat cross the finish line. It was a little table set up in front of a house. I was curious about the item and asked about it-the lady manning the table explained that the shark liver oil gets cloudy when low pressure's coming. I've seen some shark oil barometers in the stores, but they were kind of touristy-longtails and "bermuda" written in cursive, you know? I think you could try antique shops. Good luck!

OMG! Budget Queen your not going to Alaska!!!!?????? You've been so helpful to me on our 3 trips there. Wish I could help you. I'll probably be back in Alaska next year but this year........Bermuda!

It was near the lighthouse, in June 1996 or 1998-but I can't say exactly where. I was hanging out at the lighthouse watching the finish of the Newport-Bermuda race and exploring the area waiting for "my" boat cross the finish line. It was a little table set up in front of a house. I was curious about the item and asked about it-the lady manning the table explained that the shark liver oil gets cloudy when low pressure's coming. I've seen some shark oil barometers in the stores, but they were kind of touristy-longtails and "bermuda" written in cursive, you know? I think you could try antique shops. Good luck!

Thank you for the information. By lighthouse, I presume you mean St. David's of course. LOL I have seen these shark liver oil barometers in the stores but as you mentioned they were chessy, tourist looking. What you originally described sounded like a native craft item, which is more interesting. I will look around. Thanks again.:)

OMG! Budget Queen your not going to Alaska!!!!?????? You've been so helpful to me on our 3 trips there. Wish I could help you. I'll probably be back in Alaska next year but this year........Bermuda!

Believe it or not- I do get to other places. :) I've already been to Alaska this year- next week Bermuda, first two weeks of October- Ireland, and mid December, New Orleans for a week. :)

For those of you that drink alcohol, try Bermuda Gold. Not only have we purchased this for ourselves but also gave it out as gifts for watching our pets/house and everyone raves about it! You can't get it anywhere except Bermuda, believe me many have tried! We look forward to bringing some home this trip.

We also got a Christmas orniment from a jewelry store in Hamilton. It's made from seashells, but not cheesy. We try to get a Christmas orniment from where ever we go so every Christmas when we put up our tree we can reminisce about our past trips, it is a nice conversation starter.

Beth

Ok - this is an expected gift for my coworkers. :) I most always get them candy- very cost effective for a large group. I'll be in Bermuda next week, any specialities they have???

Buy a couple of large rum cakes and split it with them when you get back. They will love you for it. It's delicious! My favorite is the banana rum cake. I always bring a few back for family and friends.

Gypsy, what is Bermuda Gold made from? What kind of alcohol is it? Curious because I have allergies. Thanks.

I don't know what it is made out, all that is on the bottle is: Bermuda Gold Liqueur 56 proof produced, blended & bottled by Somers Distillers dockyard Bermuda. I'm sorry I cannot be of more help. Beth

Given the new restrictions on carry-ons, how would you plan to transport Bermuda Gold and Rum Cakes???

Sheila, I'm fortunate that I do not have to fly when I go on my cruise to Bermuda, I live an hour outside of Boston and just drive down to pick up the ship.

I think I would pack bubble wrap & ziplock bags and place it is the middle of my suitcase to check on the plane. I have never tried it but that was what my plan was when I go to San Juan in November to pick up the cruise ship.

~Beth

I don't know what it is made out, all that is on the bottle is: Bermuda Gold Liqueur 56 proof produced, blended & bottled by Somers Distillers dockyard Bermuda. I'm sorry I cannot be of more help. Beth

Hmm, what does it taste like?

Edit: Did some research and it is made from a fruit called the loquat. It is native to China and similar to an apple.

BudgetQueen,

I, too, learned so much re: Alaska from your posts (especially enjoyed the rental car drive out of Skagway to Yukon). Hope you'll do similar reporting on Bermuda.Thanks so much for your help

This seems crazy talking about Alaska on a Bermuda post but can you tell me more or give me a link to car drive to Yukon. We are thinking of Alaska for next year.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for reminding me - Carol Holding's shop was the one in St. George's where we bought our T-shirts as well. Very nice artwork.

As another poster mentioned, also anything with a longtail on it would be a good souvenir too.

I have not yet bought any souvenirs with a longtail depicted, because in three trips to Bermuda I haven't seen one! I love watching birds and keep my eyes to the skies when visiting the island. Any particular place to get lucky next trip? I HAVE seen flying fish! My DH Writeratsea did mention my little collection of the colorful blown glass bud vases, but truly the best reminder of all the fun we have each year is the pictures we take. Keep your camera handy. Nothing more relaxing on a frigid winter day than clicking through our sunny Bermuda photos on the computer screen.

Hmm, what does it taste like?

Edit: Did some research and it is made from a fruit called the loquat. It is native to China and similar to an apple.

We had a loquat while dining on the Majesty and it was nasty. It is a fruit but slimy in feel and rubbery in texture. We tasted a sample of the Bermuda Gold at Goslings in Hamilton. If you ask they will let you have a small sample. It was delicious. Tasted like cherry and almonds, but potent enough to make me cough. LOL How that delicious liquor came from that nasty fruit is beyond me. I made a mistake and didn't buy any there. It wasn't available in the duty free shop on board. The onboard shop is about 10 to 15% cheaper than the duty free shop (Goslings) in Hamilton which really surprised me. But check what they sell as they don't offer everything. The higher proof rums such as the 140 and 151's are only on the island and had a huge selection. You must buy the liquor a day before they deliver to the ship. We had no problem bringing back the rum cakes and 3 bottles of liquor from last week's sailing. It seems as long as you are under the total of $800 per person for gifts and liquor, you should have no problem. Even if you are over on the one liter each, the duty is only 2%. So the $12 bottle of Black Seal Rum's duty would have been 24 cents, and they didn't bother. Also on the last day, the duty free shop on board gave an additional 10% off. For a friend I bought Johnny Walker Blue for $125 and it is $180 here. That was a pretty significant discount. If you want to make rum swizzles, there is a recipe on the Swizzle Inn website but you need to buy some bottles of Bermuda Falernum, which is a sugar cane extract and sweetner. Cost was just $5.50 a bottle and not alcaholic, so won't count.:) I now have to check and see if I can get the Bermuda Gold here, and it will be a lot more. Oh well, live and learn.

I have not yet bought any souvenirs with a longtail depicted, because in three trips to Bermuda I haven't seen one! I love watching birds and keep my eyes to the skies when visiting the island. Any particular place to get lucky next trip?

We saw some on a kayaking excursion around Long Island, Bermuda.

Elcruzer - I have not been able to find out anything for you. I hope that you will find what you are looking for when you get here. Look for the Vendor where you last saw her and if you have no luck then check the Craft Market at Dockyard.

Loquats - are delicious especially when picked from the tree. The taste is sweet with an acidic tang and the texture is of a ripe pear. They are shaped like 1" high pears and when they are ripe they are a golden yellow to pale orange colour. Though not native, the tree grows wild here and when the fruit are ripe you will see people helping themselves to the fruit on the trees along side the roads. If you should see any on your travels here please feel free to give them a try as long as you can reach it from the road or standing on a roadside wall. The liquor is made from whole ripe loquats and lots of sugar which is then covered with alcohol - Not sure which but my Mom used to use Vodka.

Longtails - These sea birds vist the Island from early spring to late summer. They are our Harbinger of Spring as they return to mate and raise a new crop of Birds. They are best sighted just off the land flying over the sea. They can be identified by their "Long Tail". The jewellery shops have charms and other pieces depicting them. They are priced from fairly inexpensive to pricey depending on the qualtiy you are looking for. The longtail is also depicted on our 25 cent pieces.

Happy Travels

Cindy

Archived