Why did HAL change?

SLove

Just off the Oosterdam last Saturday. My husband and I had a wonderful time during our trip up to Alaska. The staff and crew couldn't have been nicer and the food seemed to be above the usual HA dining.

Just curious about something that isn't a huge problem but was just a little irritating. In all of the areas where passengers roamed there was constant and loud music playing. Not the kind of music that we are used to on HA, but more of the rock and roll variety and loud at that. Just felt really out of place especially in Alaska.

Does anybody know why the change?

Just off the Oosterdam last Saturday. My husband and I had a wonderful time during our trip up to Alaska. The staff and crew couldn't have been nicer and the food seemed to be above the usual HA dining.

Just curious about something that isn't a huge problem but was just a little irritating. In all of the areas where passengers roamed there was constant and loud music playing. Not the kind of music that we are used to on HA, but more of the rock and roll variety and loud at that. Just felt really out of place especially in Alaska.

Does anybody know why the change?

If you ask, sometimes the deck steward can turn the music channel to something else. If I understood correctly, it's a satellite download similar to XM radio which has a few channels to select from.

I've noticed that occasionally and spoke with the White Uniforms on board. Write to hq in Seattle, as that is where the music decisions come from.

Tom not to confuse some readers but in Alaska (cold weather cruises) the officers wear their Dark Navy uniforms and in warm weather cruises like caribbean and Mexican Riviera they wear their whites.

The tricky one is whether they'll be in white or navy on the Canada/New England cruises. :D

We've seen both.

Last year, back-to-back in June, they wore navy both weeks.

This year, back-to-back in August, they wore white both weeks. ;)

On the Veendam in April they had piped in music in the Explorer's lounge - it was so irritating. Most times I was able to find someone to turn it off. We are so inundated in loud music everywhere we go these days - we sure don't need it in a lounge for reading and just looking out at the scenery. Unless there is protest they will continue to do this. I agree - write to the head office about it.

I remember the rock n roll playing in almost all areas of the ship. It seemed to be on both the lower promenade and promenade areas and in pursers and shore excursions area. It was especially loud in the pool areas and in the lido. My husband and I are in our 30's but really enjoy getting away from the hustle and bustle and noise of the world. I had to go out in the rain and cold to get some peace and quiet. Good thing that I brought my cd player!

I am currently on the Oosterdam right now with a group that I am coordinating. I'm glad that someone else noticed this change. I will be on the next sailing as well. Before I make any comments I want to make sure that it is understood that I am very pleased with the stellar job that James Deering and Jose (Steve) Esteves have done on board the Oosterdam.

However…

From the moment our group boarded the Oosterdam, as was stated previously by the OP, there has been a constant barrage of edgy contemporary pop rock playing in all of the public spaces. Everything from Bon Jovi, INXS, Mary Jane Girls, George Michael, Alanis Morrisette, Backstreet Boys, Green Day has been blaring through the pulbic speakers 24/7.

I spoke to Mr. Deering about the issue and he did what he could from his end, which sadly, meant really nothing. The issue that we have is with the new Entertainment Department at Holland America which has basically given the Oosterdam two choices for ambient music in the public spaces: (1) Hard Rock (2) Slightly softer Rock. According to what I was told, the channels offering Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Bennett etc no longer exists and the international soft/jazzy channel that was playing last January whilst I was aboard the Oosterdam doesn’t exist either. I am a bit perplexed by the lack of choices for seniors and people like the OP, but that is what the Entertainment Dept. has stated. In other words, I was told to quit complaining and just deal with it. The end result is that the Holland America Line product is *not* what I have promised to my customers that I am sailing with currently or that I have coming on board in the very near future. Simply stated, the current choice of ambient music is not indicative of a premium, refined, culturally sophisticated product. This change in on board music creates a completely different atmosphere: an atmosphere foreign to Holland America Line guests that were promised a “traditional cruise experience.”

A premium or five star cruise product should provide a clear distinction between the product in question and those lesser products she is compared to. Among those differences, general on board ambiance should be indicative of a premium product, *especially* if that product claims to be a premium product. If there is a lack of dissimilarity between the claimant five-star line and it’s apparent lesser competitors, then what is the true difference? Conversely, if when sailing the RCI 4 day product with one of my corporate or class reunion groups I encountered nothing but classical music and sentimental favorites from the 40’s, I would be equally perplexed. The RCI 3 and 4 day product packages itself as a loud, unsophisticated product suitable for those that want to experience a very edgy, non-traditional cruise (and actually, the ambient music played on board is parallel to what I have heard on board the Oosterdam this week) and lives up well to the promises I give to my clients. On the contrary, I would hope that HAL lives up to the branding of “traditional cruise experience” that it presently touts (Typed to the strains of Madonna’s “Vogue”). I was just talking to an older man next to me in the internet café. The gentleman stated “no matter where you go the music seems to follow you around.”

Go ahead and beat me up for making these comments if you feel I deserve it. I’m just a bit frustrated right now and apparently no one at HAL really cares.

I am currently on the Oosterdam right now with a group that I am coordinating. I'm glad that someone else noticed this change. I will be on the next sailing as well. Before I make any comments I want to make sure that it is understood that I am very pleased with the stellar job that James Deering and Jose (Steve) Esteves have done on board the Oosterdam.

However…

From the moment our group boarded the Oosterdam, as was stated previously by the OP, there has been a constant barrage of edgy contemporary pop rock playing in all of the public spaces. Everything from Bon Jovi, INXS, Mary Jane Girls, George Michael, Alanis Morrisette, Backstreet Boys, Green Day has been blaring through the pulbic speakers 24/7.

I spoke to Mr. Deering about the issue and he did what he could from his end, which sadly, meant really nothing. The issue that we have is with the new Entertainment Department at Holland America which has basically given the Oosterdam two choices for ambient music in the public spaces: (1) Hard Rock (2) Slightly softer Rock. According to what I was told, the channels offering Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Bennett etc no longer exists and the international soft/jazzy channel that was playing last January whilst I was aboard the Oosterdam doesn’t exist either. I am a bit perplexed by the lack of choices for seniors and people like the OP, but that is what the Entertainment Dept. has stated. In other words, I was told to quit complaining and just deal with it. The end result is that the Holland America Line product is *not* what I have promised to my customers that I am sailing with currently or that I have coming on board in the very near future. Simply stated, the current choice of ambient music is not indicative of a premium, refined, culturally sophisticated product. This change in on board music creates a completely different atmosphere: an atmosphere foreign to Holland America Line guests that were promised a “traditional cruise experience.”

A premium or five star cruise product should provide a clear distinction between the product in question and those lesser products she is compared to. Among those differences, general on board ambiance should be indicative of a premium product, *especially* if that product claims to be a premium product. If there is a lack of dissimilarity between the claimant five-star line and it’s apparent lesser competitors, then what is the true difference? Conversely, if when sailing the RCI 4 day product with one of my corporate or class reunion groups I encountered nothing but classical music and sentimental favorites from the 40’s, I would be equally perplexed. The RCI 3 and 4 day product packages itself as a loud, unsophisticated product suitable for those that want to experience a very edgy, non-traditional cruise (and actually, the ambient music played on board is parallel to what I have heard on board the Oosterdam this week) and lives up well to the promises I give to my clients. On the contrary, I would hope that HAL lives up to the branding of “traditional cruise experience” that it presently touts (Typed to the strains of Madonna’s “Vogue”). I was just talking to an older man next to me in the internet café. The gentleman stated “no matter where you go the music seems to follow you around.”

Go ahead and beat me up for making these comments if you feel I deserve it. I’m just a bit frustrated right now and apparently no one at HAL really cares.

On my first two sailings on the Statendam in the early nineties the music was just as irritating.

It was not only around the pool but in the Lido at breakfast and lunch. It was mostly Ella Fitzgerald, etc. but how much scat can you listen to while you try to eat peacefully. On the outside rear deck Elvis Presley was BLARING.

After the cruise I wrote to HAL. My ploy was that my recommendation about music would not cost HAL one cent. Just have someone be in charge and keep the music, whatever it is, to a soft level. It seemed to me that the staff liked the music and used to turn it up at will and change selections to their liking.

I never had the courtesy of any answer from the main office. This discouraged me from future HAL cruises for several years. The really upscale lines just let you enjoy the sounds of the sea and eliminate the music all together.

Why does HAL bother to have live string music in the evenings if they are going to offend your ears with inappropriate music the rest of the day. But, in any case, the key here is LOW VOLUME. Music, if appropriate, should be background music, not noise over which one is forced to shout.

I have noticed that many people are so used to having their ears assaulted all day, every day, that they don't even realize how loud the music is.

I wonder if HAL is doing this with ALL ships or if they're doing it with certain ships at certain times to attract a younger clientel?

I sail the Volendam pretty much of the time, but I did sail the Zuiderdam during summer vacation and noticed the difference between the staff, crew and pax as compared with the Volendam on a longer cruise during a time when most of the younger crowd wouldn't be cruising because of work time off and school.

When I commented on it to the HAL staff about the difference they said they were trying to gear the Zuiderdam to a younger and more family oriented crowd.

Could this be what is happening?:confused:

The tricky one is whether they'll be in white or navy on the Canada/New England cruises. :D

We've seen both.

On my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in January, they wore dark uniforms the first few days and then switched over to white. One of the officers told me they had to wait until the Captain started feeling hot and then ordered the switch. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I wonder if HAL is doing this with ALL ships or if they're doing it with certain ships at certain times to attract a younger clientel?

We never had loud music during my ms Amsterdam cruise. I think it might have something to do with the Oosterdam being a Vista class ship, and the fact that on a seven-day Alaska run there would probably be more younger people onboard who would enjoy that more "upbeat" kind of music.

Hey, I like that kind of music too ... when I am at work and trying to stay peppy and upbeat ... but not on a cruise. There I'm trying to relax and as long as there's some good music at sailaway ... and maybe during the lunch hour out on the Lido deck, soft music or peace and quiet works great for me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It's the precedent that's troubling. After all, eventually the R and S ships will have to be replaced and, more than likely, the newbuilds will embrace the "changes" that are appearing on the Vista Class ships. I guess the only recourse is to let your voice be heard if this is an irritation to you.

DH and I were on the Westerdam this past January 06 and we both do not recall the music being a problem. I can be very noise sensitive and rock can really wind me up and not in a good way! We are booked to sail again this coming Jan 07 on the new Southern itinerary and I have to say these posts really scare me! Hope this is straightened out by then and if HAL is paying attention to this my vote is for peace and quiet. That's what we are trying to get on a cruise - I want to cool my jets not rev them up!

I'll have to say I didn't even notice background music on the Volendam in July. Strange, because I usually do notice music.

I'll pay particular attention when on the Zaandam in October. With all those sea days that shouldn't be hard to do.

I do remember trying to eat breakfast in peace near the Lido pool on the Rotterdam a couple of summers ago. There was loud, "jumpy"-type music before the coffee had even kicked-in. Yuck.

Same thing in the Lido all day. The folks working there preferred that music station, but then again, who are they supposed to be pleasing. (The passengers, case you're not sure.)

Keep the music as soft, background ambiance. And put the Sinatra/Torme/Fitzgerald/Bennett/etc back on.

HoneyGV in post #14 said:

I wonder if HAL is doing this with ALL ships or if they're doing it with certain ships at certain times to attract a younger clientele?
I wrote and said that you don't use this to attract people when they are already onboard. If the crew does a quick scan and sees, as was the case when I wrote, that 97% of the pax were past retirement age, then you cater to them. You don't alienate 97% to please 3%. Oddly enough, we have these Mariner parties to tell us how grateful HAL is for our increasing repeat business, but the atmosphere tells us the opposite.

uncialman: right on! As much as I enjoy a good dose of 50's & 60s R&R from XM radio during my morning commute, I wouldn't expect or appreciate being barraged by it in the public places on a HAL cruise. There is a time and a place for everything, but what is wrong with silence? Or if there must be music, let it be soothing standards or light classical---if only to enlighten a the next generation of cruisers. :eek: Guess I am getting old!

If HAL wants to be a class line, it should use some class in the choice of it's "elevator" music. Just another opinion!

The change in music that has annoyed the posters on this thread is being implemented with the same marketing mentality that has removed the ban on jeans in the dining room.

Face it folks, it isn't "Your Father's Oldsmobile" anymore. HAL is changing, and it is NOT in an upscale, traditional direction. It is becoming even more mass market with every marketing decision.

There are alternatives, of course. Crystal, Regent and Oceania are, as Delta Air Lines used to say, "ready when you are."

I guess I don't feel quite as inspired as some other posters on this board but I do see an issue. I wanted to know they whys in this issue and it appears that this is a move to attract a younger crowd. Don't get me wrong but isn't that why they have Carnival and Princess under their big umbrella of corporations? If there are people that want a jumpy, rock music kind of enviroment on their cruise there are plenty of cruise lines out there to serve their needs! But please keep your hands off of Holland America Line for the rest of us!

My hubby and I are in our thirties and really like to reeeelax when we go on a cruise. Which is why we almost always choose HA or Celebrity. We tried Radisson once, HEAVEN, but we can't quite afford that ticket on a regular basis. But the Oosterdam just didn't feel like a traditional HA ship like we are used to. It was loud and tense with that 80's music following you from room to room. There is no escape!!

I don't have any problems with the live bands on board, they seemed fine to me and even a scale down from the music played in the hallways.

TOMC hit the nail on the head on this whole thing. HA seems to want to please people that aren't even on its ships yet by trying to make the ship sound and feel younger. Only problem is that not ALL young people like 80's rock n' roll or the dance party mix they are playing! I want my hubby to weigh in on this as well for the sake of saying things right. He seems to sum it up so well!

Archived