Jane100,

This is something I hadn't even thought about. The way you answered I'm wondering if I should make sure my son doesn't wear one either. Would you say that Europeans may find it inappropriate for him to wear a baseball hat, of course not in a restaurant or church. This is our first visit and we'd like to be sure not to be offensive to our hosts.

Thanks

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;25;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Brilliance of the Seas July 25, 04

Why does time fly only when you don't want it to?

November 04 Explorer

July 03 Explorer

August 02 Adventurer

July 01 Voyager

Starward NCL 1981

bec2629,

I believe your son doesn't behave inappropriate if he is wearing a cap during your stay. But you should have in mind, that only young people wear baseball caps. It is absolutely inappropriate if adults wear caps (exception: It's quite hot and you want to protect yourself from the sun)

Ernst

I wear baseball type hats where ever I go to keep the sun off my head. I don't wear a NY baseball one. I tend to buy a local hat for the trip and have something to take home. I also have straw hats and other similar hats. In Texas I wear a cowboy hat(Yee-ha). I wouldn't worry what they think of you, they will know you are tourists any way. Hi Ernst my father was born not that far from you in Buttenhausen...

Proud charter member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society

Oceania Insignia(Athens to Venice)-something new!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;26;23;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

smeyer418@yahoo.com

Celebrity, NCL, Overnight Ferry, hydrofoil between countries, car ferries and river cruise and of course the Staten Island Ferry

My husband (who is English) has worn his San Diego Padres baseball cap all over Europe. It is no problem at all.

However, yes, you will look like a tourist wearing one but most Americans do anyway as their clothes are different from European clothes. This is from someone who buys a lot of her outfits when we visit the States due to the cheaper prices.

Cinnamon

Bec,

"Inappropriate" is a grey word. Yes, of course, the hat would be inappropriate in a restaurant or church. Worn in the street, would not be rude, but would immediately flag you as an american tourist.

It's up to you if you're comfortable with that or not. Personally, I wouldn't like it and when in Europe my husband and I are usually taken for locals......until we speak. icon_wink.gif

Jane

I have a dutchboy type hat I purchased years ago in Holland. I've worn that most every cruise and it didn't seem to have any negative consequences.

Anyway, with cameras, neck pouches, fanny packs and the like, there's no doubt who the tourists are!

'Vegas Jim

I've seen many baseball-like hats sold in Europe. (We even bought couple in Monaco , one with Grand Prix) For me this indicates that they can't be inappropriate.

Although I noticed that people there have nicer clothes overall and I doubt they go to the restaurant or church wearung baseball cap.

------------------------------

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Zuiderdam 8/21/04 FLL - Key West - Cozumel - Grand Caymans - Half Moon Cay - FLL

<LI>Splendour of the Seas 05/15/04 Barcelona - Marseilles - Villefranche - Livorno - Chivitavecchia - Naples - Barcelona

<LI>Century 07/12/03 Eastern Caribbean FFL-San Juan - St. Thomas - St.Maarten- Nassau -FFL

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/91 Moscow - Astrahan' - Moscow (honeymoon)

<LI>Komarno(Volga)07/90 Moscow - Astrahan'- Moscow

<LI>Admiral Nachimov(or Nakhimov) (Black Sea)04/1986 Odessa - Batum

GO BRUINS!!!!

I didn't plan on wearing a baseball cap..just need a hat suggestion to keep the rain off icon_smile.gif

The Dutchboy hat sounds interesting. Maybe I'll find one of those..

Or maybe i can find a hat in venice to wear the rest of the cruise..

Jeff Cox - Rookie Cruiseer

ms WesterDam 5/31

jeffpcox@yahoo.com

You'll see a lot of people, adults as well as children, wearing baseball caps. The kids are more likely wear them backwards, though.

For travelling, though, a sunhat with a wider brim is better because it'll keep the sun off more than just your face. You don't want to have an "I should have done that" moment when you get back to the ship to put on your formal gear, and ten discover that the skin on your neck's complaining about it.

If you want to look less like the worst sort of tourist, a different hint - no white sneakers, and preferably no sneakers at all. icon_smile.gif

I can't believe a German tourist is giving fashion advice.

With balding head and threat of skin cancer, a non logo'd baseball cap is very acceptable in the Med. in say, August(removed at lunch, of course)especially when paired with a nicely pressed button front shirt and longer walking shorts.

We are Americans and proud.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;8;28;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

...until our August 28, 2004 Splendour of the Seas

Hat or no hat, we'll be 4 blondes and a camera in Italy..enough said? icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;25;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Brilliance of the Seas July 25, 04

Why does time fly only when you don't want it to?

November 04 Explorer

July 03 Explorer

August 02 Adventurer

July 01 Voyager

Starward NCL 1981

I think if you are going to be a tourist, look like a tourist. icon_cool.gif Well, actually I don't roam about with a camera around my neck and a hawaiian shirt, but I do have a special traveller's hat. It is great to keep the sun off of me, keeps me cool and is nearly indestructible.

It is called a tilley hat and to shamelessly plug the company, here is the web site. They also do great travel clothes.

http://www.tilley.com/home.asp?countryCode=Can

Happy sails,

Blake of

Blake and Marla

Blamar

Nordic Prince 1982 Eastern Caribbean

Rotterdam 1988 Panama Canal

Noordam 1995 Southern Caribbean

Imagination 2001 New Orleans/Western Caribbean

Star Princess 2004 Venice/Grand Mediterranean

We leave for Venice

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;18;17;55;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We leave from Venice on the Star Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;6;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

We just got back from the Med this weekend.

Wear whatever hat you want. Our guide in Greece wore a baseball hat so did the female guide in Turkey.

My husband bought a fez in Turkey and wore it around. Can't say I would recommend that.

And wear what you want on your feet. If it's a good pair of New Balance walking shoes, so be it. We've traveled Europe quite a bit, and have never worried about looking like Americans, as long as we respected the local cultures (Covered legs and arms for churches, etc). We're wearing what's best for us, and for our pocketbook. As a family that has family in Belgium, and having seen how the Europeans used to dress in the 70s, and knowing how they dress now, it isn't the issue it used to be. Use good security precautions with your wallets and money, and you'll be fine.

Mike and Mary

7/6 Flight to Venice -7/8 Millie Venice to Barcelona - Retirement Reward

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;7;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200

Uh, I like the Mephisto walking shoes myself but would never pass judgement on someone wearing tennis shoes--including white ones--to walk comfortably while on all-day tours and especially on the cobblestone streets that we navigated in May in the French Riviera and Tuscany. And even more so for the seniors who are not so stable on their feet. Better to be dressed in white sneakers than to risk an injury on vacation.

As for hats, I think it you need one for whatever reason and it makes you comfortable, go for it.

I've also been advised that shorts also say "ugly American" to some Europeans, and they are not allowed in some of the cathedrals. My husband is 6'1", and I'm blonde, so it's difficult for us to blend in anyway. If it's as hot in Europe this summer as it was last summer, I'm definitely advocating shorts. Better to be cool and comfortable on the vacation that you worked hard to enjoy than to worry about pleasing someone else whose individual opinion really doesn't matter anyway.

Basically, the Europeans will judge you based on your conduct and the smile (or lack thereof) on your face, so IMHO these are just minor details compared to the manner in which Americans conduct themselves on foreign soil. It's nice that you wanted to check to see if the hats are considered disrespectful, and I think that action demonstrates that you have the kind of attitude that will be welcomed warmly by the locals in the countries you will be visiting.

Happy travels to all,

Donna

Since most of the time we were visiting tourist type places the fact that we looked like a tourist didn't seem to be a problem... Everyone was a tourist...

Not sure if I want to be classified as looking American (as I'm Canadian) but that's a whole other thread.

We all wore some sort of sun hat or cap. Mainly because the sun is so strong in the Med and heat stroke would have ruined our vacation.

We removed it where appropriate.

In terms of footwear we all wore comfortable sandals... I find my feet get too hot in anything else in the summer. Made for some interesting stripes on our feet by the end of the trip.

Susan

Splendour of the Seas - August 9, 2003

We were in spain in 2002 and saw sneakers all over. Also wore shorts and my husband always wears a baseball cap outside due to lack of hair. Hat is definately needed in the sun. We ran into people in Marbella who were trying to sell time-shares and they all thought were were either from the UK or Germany. They did not know we were from the US till we spoke.

Till we sail the Destiny

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;1;23;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Archived