Norwegian VS. Royal Caribbean?

SugarAim2

Hi,

I am looking to book a cruise on Dec. 18th. I've narrowed it down to two crusies:

The new Norwegian Pearl or the Enchantment of the Seas on Royal Carribbean.

So what do you think... We are a group of 20-somethings looking to relax during the day and hang out at shows/ bars, etc. at night. Anyone have a recommendation for us? The price points are about the same, except the RCI is one night longer.

Please help :)

Oh yeah - also, is the lowest inside cabin (deck 4 i think?) terrible???

Thanks so much,

Amy

Hi,

I am looking to book a cruise on Dec. 18th. I've narrowed it down to two crusies:

So what do you think... We are a group of 20-somethings looking to relax during the day and hang out at shows/ bars, etc. at night. Anyone have a recommendation for us? The price points are about the same, except the RCI is one night longer.

Thanks so much,

Amy

This is really a matter of opinion and experiences.

In my opinion I would prefer Royal Caribbean over NCL

The service on Royal caribbean is better in my experence.

My wife and I do not like "Free Style" didning we prefer having the same waiter every night. On Royal caribbean if you don't want to go to your scheduled dining or don't want to dress-up you have alternative dining

This of course is my opinion

I would choose the Pearl. Not just because this is the NCL board either. I can be unbiased on any bb here. I cruised on the Enchantment twice last year.

I think the Pearl is going to be a nicer class of ship than the Enchantment. The Enchantment is older even after the stretch last year, it still is older. I was excited about the giant bungee trampolines and the rock wall on this ship but if there is any wind at all on your cruise they close both of these areas down. In the two cruises I took on this ship last year I think those areas were open probably a total of 2 days. When we finally got our chance to do the bungee trampoline my dh and I were both underwelmed. My 7 year old didn't even think it was that great. Don't make your decision based on these extras or you will be disappointed I think.

As far as the food. I think its dead even. Both offer mediocre food at best in the dining rooms and buffet but really good food in the Specialty Resteraunts if you are willing to pay a bit more.

I think the shows and talent are a bit better on NCL. I think the acts they bring in are a bit higher level on NCL and the productions are a little more creative. Not by much though.

I think you will like having an extra day on the Pearl, on the shorter cruises and extra day really makes a big difference.

You will find the other cruisers to be the same on both lines. The week of Dec. 18 you will be loaded with children and teens, its close enough to Christmas week that lots of schools will be out on break.

I liked the Enchantment and would go back but I don't think it is going to be as grand and sparkling as the Pearl. Have a great time.

Just do it. Either way you will have a very good time. I would recommend the Enchantment, you get a extra night and to my taste, the food and entertainment is better with Royal Caribbean. The lowest inside cabin is not terrible. Is this your first cruise? You will have a great time with either cruise.

Hi,

Thanks so much,

Amy

In this case I would go with RCI becasue of the traditional cruise, your group will have a MUCH easier time sitting togther and the boat itself is more oriented twoards large groups... PS the deck 4 cabin isnt THAT bad, just cramped

Although I have not yet sailed with NCL, I did enjoy my Baltic cruise with RCI last year. I do want to offer a suggestion for choosing an inside cabin that I learned about the hard way. Be sure to check the deck plans for empty spaces(usually in the middle of the ship, between the inside cabins), as this is often storage. Last summer, all my GS Troop could afford for their Senior trip was the lowest level, inside cabin, 4 day Baja Cruise on Carnival. My bed was against the inside wall and I was awakened around 5am each morning with banging and chatter. So either avoid those areas or bring earplugs; unless you are an early riser. As far as space was concerned, we were 3 adults sharing the cabin and really didn't have any trouble. But we were only in the rooms to sleep and change clothes. Had 2 lowers and a pullman.

Now I avoid those "empty" spots wherever they are, just in case.

Either would be fine although I think the Pearl will be a much nicer ship. As for service, it depends on the sailing. We have had good service on almost all our cruises, but RCI was our worst. We cruised them twice. This doesn't mean everyone gets bad service. Some hate the NCL service. The big difference is going to be Freestyle. Other than that they will be similar. I put both lines in the same catagory. Decide on the itinerary,which is best? Do you all expect to eat together every night? By the way, with 20 that will be very difficult on either line, but if you choose NCL you may have to talk to the matre D' as soon as you board the ship.

NMnita

I would choose the Pearl. Not just because this is the NCL board either. I can be unbiased on any bb here. I cruised on the Enchantment twice last year.

I think you will like having an extra day on the Pearl, on the shorter cruises and extra day really makes a big difference.

The extra day is on the Enchantment.

Either would be fine although I think the Pearl will be a much nicer ship. As for service, it depends on the sailing. We have had good service on almost all our cruises, but RCI was our worst. We cruised them twice. This doesn't mean everyone gets bad service. Some hate the NCL service. The big difference is going to be Freestyle. Other than that they will be similar. I put both lines in the same catagory. Decide on the itinerary,which is best? Do you all expect to eat together every night? By the way, with 20 that will be very difficult on either line, but if you choose NCL you may have to talk to the matre D' as soon as you board the ship.

NMnita

The OP didn't say the size of the group, just that they are in there 20's.:)

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I'd go with the Pearl even though it's one less day. The ship is brand new, the cabin sizes are about the same on NCL 138-143 sq ft. as they are on the Enchantment 140-146 sq ft.

Both ships are going to the same ports except on Enchantment it also goes to Belize. If more than 2 are going to be staying in a cabin there is a nice savings by going with NCL. 3rd person rates are only $188 with all taxes and fees compared to the Enchantment where the 3rd person would be paying $395 with all the taxes and fees.

Also the first 2 in the cabins on the Pearl only pay $458pp with all taxes and fees compared to the Enchantment where the first 2 pay $685pp with all taxes and fees.

Bill

The extra day is on the Enchantment.

The OP didn't say the size of the group, just that they are in there 20's.:)

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

I'd go with the Pearl even though it's one less day. The ship is brand new, the cabin sizes are about the same on NCL 138-143 sq ft. as they are on the Enchantment 140-146 sq ft.

Both ships are going to the same ports except on Enchantment it also goes to Belize. If more than 2 are going to be staying in a cabin there is a nice savings by going with NCL. 3rd person rates are only $188 with all taxes and fees compared to the Enchantment where the 3rd person would be paying $395 with all the taxes and fees.

Also the first 2 in the cabins on the Pearl only pay $458pp with all taxes and fees compared to the Enchantment where the first 2 pay $685pp with all taxes and fees.

Bill

Love new ships, but I think RCI is a safer "starting point" for new cruisers. It won't be too stuffy, but if you find it stuffy at all then NCL next time.

Love new ships, but I think RCI is a safer "starting point" for new cruisers. It won't be too stuffy, but if you find it stuffy at all then NCL next time.

Just curious as to why in your opinion it's a "safer" starting point? Did the OP say they were new cruisers or is that just a general statement?:)

Bill

Just a small comment. You will get plenty of posters saying that RCCL is a better cruiseline, or that NCL is a better cruiseline. For what it is worth, nearly all professionals rate RCCL as better than NCL. Frommer's, for example, gives RCCL 4 outstandings and 3 excellents, while NCL rates 1 outstanding, 3 excellents and 3 goods.

On the other hand, the difference between cruiselines is probably smaller than the difference between different cruises on the same line, or the same cruise from one week to the next. I would make the decision on the fact that RCCL gives you an additional day (and, believe me, on the last day of the cruise you will be regretting that you do not have a few more days). Besides, the snorkeling in Belize can be awesome.

Bill

Personally I would cruise with RCI over NCL but my DH would say NCL over RCI. I guess it boils down to what you prefer. We've been on both lines and would/are going on both again. I prefer the sit down dining where my DH prefers freestyle. I liked the food and ship better on RCI where my DH prefered the food and ship on NCL. The nightlife and entertainment I would say is about equal. Given the choice I'd go for the extra day as my DH and I are in our 20's and just cruised Mexico with a stop in Belieze and LOVED IT! An inside room is an inside room as far as we are concerned. We'd much prefer to be out and about doing something and both ships will provide plenty to do! Whatever you decide have a great time!:)

Why would you say that?

Bill, I missed the first, guess I had better put my reading glasses on: I thought it said group of 20.

NMNIta

Just a small comment. You will get plenty of posters saying that RCCL is a better cruiseline, or that NCL is a better cruiseline. For what it is worth, nearly all professionals rate RCCL as better than NCL. Frommer's, for example, gives RCCL 4 outstandings and 3 excellents, while NCL rates 1 outstanding, 3 excellents and 3 goods.

On the other hand, the difference between cruiselines is probably smaller than the difference between different cruises on the same line, or the same cruise from one week to the next. I would make the decision on the fact that RCCL gives you an additional day (and, believe me, on the last day of the cruise you will be regretting that you do not have a few more days). Besides, the snorkeling in Belize can be awesome.

Bill

Bill, you are right, but if you had been reading everything written in the past 6 months, not only on the NCL board but several others: Frommers writers and reviewers have been making one mistake on top on another. I no longer put any faith in anything they write. NMnita

It is not just Frommer's opinion. MSN Travel, for example, puts Celebrity, Princess and RCCL at the top of the mainstream market, presumably in that order. While there is fair unanimity on Celebrity being the Hertz of the mainstream cruise lines, I think one can find endless arguments as to who is number 2, and certainly many would include HAL as a candidate for number 2 (along with RCCL or Princess). However, to my memory I cannot recall anyone ranking NCL that high -- at least no one claiming to be some sort of cruise expert.

We've sailed about 15 times (Alas, at this point we are not sure we recall all our cruises), only on mainstream lines, and our experience has been that Celebrity and Princess have been the most consistent, but the differences between them and our Carnival or NCL cruises, say, pretty much amount to nit picking. We really have never had an unenjoyable cruise, and we always choose by itinerary rather than cruise line.

That said, we are off to Hawaii with NCL in December and on the Sea Princess in March. After that, too broke to plan any further ahead.

Bill

Where are you cruising? Do you plan on spending much time ashore? If so I think NCL's freestyle will work better to give you more freedom to plan your activites and dining times and places the way You want. This is just an assumption on my part but my guess is a group in their 20's aren't exactly into being told when to eat, where to eat, how to dress and who to sit with, especially on your vacation!:eek: Is'nt that what you are trying to get away from?:D

I have cruised both NCL and RCI several times each. The level of service and the quality of the food is both in the same range. . .very good. The big difference is NCL is freestyle, and RCI traditional. I prefer traditional cruising, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying NCL when I chose NCL for the itinerary. That said. . .

The Pearl is a BRAND NEW SHIP! The Enchantment of the Seas is what ten years old??? What are the price points? If the Enchantment is much lower than the Pearl then I would go with the Enchantment. If the Pearl is the same price point, I would go with the Pearl.

If I were a person who absolutely had to do traditional, or absolutely had to do freestyle, then I would know that I would not be happy cruising another way, and would not consider another style. If you are flexible, like me, then give freestyle a chance.

It is not just Frommer's opinion. MSN Travel, for example, puts Celebrity, Princess and RCCL at the top of the mainstream market, presumably in that order. While there is fair unanimity on Celebrity being the Hertz of the mainstream cruise lines, I think one can find endless arguments as to who is number 2, and certainly many would include HAL as a candidate for number 2 (along with RCCL or Princess). However, to my memory I cannot recall anyone ranking NCL that high -- at least no one claiming to be some sort of cruise expert.

We've sailed about 15 times (Alas, at this point we are not sure we recall all our cruises), only on mainstream lines, and our experience has been that Celebrity and Princess have been the most consistent, but the differences between them and our Carnival or NCL cruises, say, pretty much amount to nit picking. We really have never had an unenjoyable cruise, and we always choose by itinerary rather than cruise line.

That said, we are off to Hawaii with NCL in December and on the Sea Princess in March. After that, too broke to plan any further ahead.

Bill

Bill, sounds like you keep an open mind and go with what suits you at the time. We generally do the same, even though our cruiseline of choice does happen to be NCL. I did have one bad cruise, but it wasn't totally the cruise lines fault, it was the fault of the person I was cruising with as well. Even then, I wasn't sorry I went. Every line has it's little nitch and I really find very little difference in any mass marketed lines. NMNita

What you're asking is to compare those two ships more than comparing these two cruise lines.

That being said, I am a 20-something, and I much prefer Royal Caribbean, HOWEVER given the two options that you have layed out, I would choose the Pearl in this case. The new ship experience is not something that comes every day, and though I believe that you will enjoy RCI, I'd wait until you can splurge on one of the bigger Voyager ships, because they are newer and have a lot more amenities than the older ones.

What you're asking is to compare those two ships more than comparing these two cruise lines.

That being said, I am a 20-something, and I much prefer Royal Caribbean, HOWEVER given the two options that you have layed out, I would choose the Pearl in this case. The new ship experience is not something that comes every day, and though I believe that you will enjoy RCI, I'd wait until you can splurge on one of the bigger Voyager ships, because they are newer and have a lot more amenities than the older ones.

I agree 100%.

My girlfriends and I have been cruising together for 6 years. We've been on 4 NCL's and only 1 RCCL. And for good reason!

In our opinion, RC seemed much "cheaper" with rooms laid out poorly and just "ok" food. The staff was polite but lacking in the personality department as a whole. Not friendly.

Plus the crowd was not our "scene". We go on cruises to relax, tan, eat and shop. The RC crowd was all about exercising and they start EARLY!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Archived