Rates on RCCL Online different from RCCL by phone?

mrc1961

I can go out to book online on RCCL's website and it shows that my cruise has a residency special of $709 for Alabama. (Quite a substantial savings from the $889 regular price.) When I call RCCL, to try and book via phone (I want to keep my booking number from another reservation)the representative assures me that Alabama is not included in that residency special. He says his computer shows AR and AZ but not AL.

How can this be? Are we looking at different data?

I can go out to book online on RCCL's website and it shows that my cruise has a residency special of $709 for Alabama. (Quite a substantial savings from the $889 regular price.) When I call RCCL, to try and book via phone (I want to keep my booking number from another reservation)the representative assures me that Alabama is not included in that residency special. He says his computer shows AR and AZ but not AL.

Phone up and get someone else. Don't know about RCCL in the U.S. but here in the U.K. I keep phoning until I get someone who knows what they are doing. That usually works second time. Good luck

What do you mean a residency special...is this something new? Is Colorado included in this?

What do you mean a residency special...is this something new? Is Colorado included in this?

RCCL runs residency specials sometimes based on where you live. To find out if there is one for your state on your cruise, go to RCCL's website and act like you are booking a cruise. At the bottom of the first page there is a place to select your state. Then when you get to the next page where you choose your stateroom category, if there is a residency special, it will show two prices for each category - one the regular price, and one the residency special. They don't run residency specials for every cruise or every state so the only way to tell if there is one is to just keep checking back.

WRP96,

The telephone reps assure me that AL is not included in the residency special.

This is so strange. The RCCL website shows the discount for AL. I tried a couple of online TA's ... and just like the rep's say ... they show it for TN and AR and AZ but no AL.

When I told the last rep "Forget it I'll just book online". He warned me that even though the website might give me that rate ... that when I went to board, AL would not be included in the special.

I don't think I'm just being petty. $360 is a lot of money.

Phone up and get someone else. Don't know about RCCL in the U.S. but here in the U.K. I keep phoning until I get someone who knows what they are doing. That usually works second time. Good luck

That startegy has worked well for me too, most recently a week ago. RCCI agents vary greatly in their knowledge. Even their supervisors vary. Keep calling again until you get the answer you want.

The cruise is November 19, 6 night Radiance of the Seas.

I just looked at Promowave for 9-12-06 and there is NO deal for Radiance of the Seas. There is a 7 night for Rhapsody with a residency special for AL. sailing 11-19-06. In fact the entire 11-19 sailing for Rhapsody is on sale, there's a senior special, residency special, and regular discount. RCI's website could be wrong. But there is NO residency special for AL for Radiance for a 11-19-06 sailing (website shows $669 for the lowest category oceanview). I don't know how to look for a residency rate on RCI's website while making a ressie.

I had a similar problem booking my upcoming Sovereign cruise. Although there wasn't a residency rate, the rate online was about $100 less than what the telephone rep quoted. I ended up booking online.

I also just had that problem with a price drop on my Legend cruise next Feb. CSR tried telling me the rate on the website was always at the price shown when I know darn well the LA on Sovereign told me what the rate was. I ended up calling the Crown & Anchor people and they took care of it immediately :)!

Thanks all for you excellent advice.

WolfCatHorse,

You're right. The Promowave doesn't show this. Just for fun go to the RCCL website and look up the cruise. If you try to book and put in AL, it will give you the residency special. Is the website just wrong?

Also, even though promowave shows NO residency discounts, try some of the online TA's. They show TN, AR, AZ having a residency discount. If you call RCCL they will give it to you.

I'm just irritated that there is NO consistency. Which one is correct?

I'm afraid I will book -- get the discount -- and find out upon boarding that it will not be honored.

OK, I give up.

I reserved online (payment due tomorrow) on the RCL website and get the residency rate. I choose AL, I'm C&A platinum so they have my correct address on the reservation, etc.

However, when I talk to anyone at RCCL ... and I've spoken to 5 different reps; they assure me that I cannot get the residency rate for AL. They also tell me that I will be asked to show a driver's license and will be asked to pay the difference at the pier. One also told me that it will be whatever the going rate is on that day!

This is all confusing as my address on the reservation will be the correct one and will MATCH my driver's license. Will they be checking to see whether my legal address is the one on the reservation ---- or will they be looking to see that I'm not from MA or some other state that happened to be at a discounted rate at the time I booked.

I have the reservation held until tomorrow morning.I'm nervous about "pulling the trigger" and making the payment as I'm already in the penalty period.

Thanks for listening and for the advice. We have two cabins and this will be a total of $720 for two balconey cabins.

I didn't read all the posts but, I would print out the page that shows discount for your state. Bring it with you and play dumb and don't tell anyone at pier that you spoke to reps. You have proof that it showed discount for your state and you paid in full. I don't believe they could do anything at that point. On a side note I read in here somewhere that the pier doesn't even ask for proof of residency. So go for it and have a great vacation.

OK, I give up.

I reserved online (payment due tomorrow) on the RCL website and get the residency rate. I choose AL, I'm C&A platinum so they have my correct address on the reservation, etc.

However, when I talk to anyone at RCCL ... and I've spoken to 5 different reps; they assure me that I cannot get the residency rate for AL. They also tell me that I will be asked to show a driver's license and will be asked to pay the difference at the pier. One also told me that it will be whatever the going rate is on that day!

This is all confusing as my address on the reservation will be the correct one and will MATCH my driver's license. Will they be checking to see whether my legal address is the one on the reservation ---- or will they be looking to see that I'm not from MA or some other state that happened to be at a discounted rate at the time I booked.

I have the reservation held until tomorrow morning.I'm nervous about "pulling the trigger" and making the payment as I'm already in the penalty period.

Thanks for listening and for the advice. We have two cabins and this will be a total of $720 for two balconey cabins.

FYI, a portion of the legal disclaimer attached to the website:

The Company has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website or any other Company website. Users of information from this website or any other Company website or links do so at their own risk. We assume no liability or responsibility for any errors or omissions in the content of any Company website.

OK, I give up.

Did you talk to George?!?!?!?!?!?

No, I have not connected with George yet. I will leave a message in the morning if I do not get him when I call.

I did talk to the C&A desk a couple of times (usually they are pretty helpful.)

Thanks again for the name (and for the advice on another thread of how to order a video.)!

No, I have not connected with George yet. I will leave a message in the morning if I do not get him when I call.

I did talk to the C&A desk a couple of times (usually they are pretty helpful.)

Thanks again for the name (and for the advice on another thread of how to order a video.)!

My pleasure. :)

George's hours are 3 P.M. to midnight, Monday to Friday.

Carol

:) I just think that with all the problems people have with CSRs who have never set foot on a cruise ship and/or "don't measure up" competence-wise, it's nice to know that Royal Caribbean DOES employ some extremely capable people to assist cruisers. George is one of them. ;)

Archived